no intro, no cd, debug info & level select, windowed mode, long load times fix

Iran

aidenpons
12 minutes ago, Iran said:

It's not fixed properly yet, the patch removes the frame limiting code entirely which breaks a few subgames. I need to patch it so it only disables on level load.

It's fixed enough - for a change I actually want to replay LI2 l405G.jpg But aye, fixing that would be nice - the cherry on top, so to speak.

Fluffy Cupcake

Yeah, I was a little disappoint that I haven't done a full playthrough of the game in almost 5 years, and then this comes along a couple weeks after I do! Doh! >.<

Oh well, at least I'm giving it more boot time now that it is around. :P

2 hours ago, aidenpons said:

It's fixed enough - for a change I actually want to replay LI2 l405G.jpg But aye, fixing that would be nice - the cherry on top, so to speak.

I edited my post because my info seems wrong, it doesn't break frame limiting in full screen.

mumboking

It would be nice to have a patcher that can do this automatically with selections on what to patch.

It's a bit confusing doing it manually when you're not sure how to use the tool.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

With me I'd rather keep the disc in cause of my fear of causing something to go completely wrong since I know nothing about patching games to function without the disc

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi,

I know this is a really old topic but I wanted to know : can someone post a screenshot of the code around the load time fix before and after the fix please (in ollydbg) ?
I have the French version of the game and I can't find the correct offset.

Thanks in advance :D

EDIT :  NVM, just found out how to apply the fix. I read the LI2 Mod Manager source code created by @Jeff

It's probably already written somewhere else on this forum but I'll post the solution here anyway, you're welcome :D :

1. Download and install and open HxD Hex editor
  2. Backup your Lego Island 2.exe
  3. Drag and drop Lego Island 2.exe on HxD
  4. Press ctrl+f
  5. In the window that pops up, click on the second tab "Hexadecimal Values"
  6. In that tab, under "Directions", choose "All"
  7. In the search field type : "90 90 90 90 90 FF" and then press "Search Everywhere".
  8. Now highlight the last "FF" of the search result and the five following hex numbers. You should end up with "FF XX XX XX XX XX" highlighted (X can be any hex value)
  9. Right click what you highlighted and click on "Fill selection with..."
  10. In the window that pops up, make sure "Hexadecimal Values" is checked and type "C3 90 90 90 90 90" in the box right under it. Then Press OK.
  11. Save the file making sure you don't overwrite your backup.
  12. You're done, enjoy :D

• 1 year later...

I am trying to apply the No CD patch to my install of LEGO Island 2, but I've been experiencing issues with trying to get it working on a custom directory I am unsure if the custom directory (C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Games) was causing the game to crash or if I was applying the patch incorrectly, so I wanted to double check here.

This is what my Olly Debug screen looks like. I am able to get past the initial loading screen and intro videos, but crash when I get to the main menu.

I actually did this just a week or two ago. Using Windows in a virtual machine, I installed it to a desktop folder and then applied that patch (it'd be nice to have a clearer guide for no-CD though :P) and it works fine. I can't remember exactly what I did, but your screenshot shows "JNZ" at 0040842C, isn't it supposed to be changed to "JMP"?

18 hours ago, JimbobJeffers said:

I actually did this just a week or two ago. Using Windows in a virtual machine, I installed it to a desktop folder and then applied that patch (it'd be nice to have a clearer guide for no-CD though :P) and it works fine. I can't remember exactly what I did, but your screenshot shows "JNZ" at 0040842C, isn't it supposed to be changed to "JMP"?

I agree with your sentiment. I tried the edit but I am still crashing when I get to the main menu. I noticed that having the "Fill the rest with NOP" option makes it so that 40847D is NOP'd out as well. I tinkered around by undoing NOP for 40847D or the offsets after 40842C but they all result in an instant crash. I must be missing something crucial here -- as all I am trying to do is make a "portable" No CD install on a "LEGO Island 2 The Brickster's Revenge" directory.

Easiest way to apply patches is using a hex editor.
No CD for the unmodified exe with a CRC-32 of C0824FAC:

Offset: 842C
Original: 0F 85
New Data: EB 48

Offset: 8478
Original: 0F 84 82 00 00 00
New Data: 90 90 90 90 90 90

Got it. It seems like my issues are with changing the installation directory, unrelated to patching; I seem to have trouble running the game, getting to the main menu, or starting in-game depending on where I tell the installer to set up the files. I seem to have no problems if the installation directory is left to default.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.