Sampling in game music is a funny thing

lol username

lol username

0:30 (TrackMania Nations ESWC - TicTac)

1:05 (Hot Wheels Mechanix - Tiki Jungle)

https://pro.beatport.com/track/world-tribal-crossroads-original-mix/1878069 (Hot Wheels Mechanix seems to have bought music rather than have stuff composed for it specifically)

0:18 (Vib-Ribbon - Laugh and Peace)

2:13 (Jet Set Radio Future - Bokfresh)

Just curious, anybody got other examples?

The subterranean music from Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge

And Haunted Ship Zone, act 1 from Sonic Rush Adventure

Both sample the song "Techno Slam"

The samples are right at the start so they're really noticeable. It comes from about a minute in to the original.

• Like 3

lol username

Ooh, just thought of something in a LEGO game:

The vocal clip at 2:52 in IXS's "Wannabe my LEGO" is edited from an audio file that can be found in LEGO Island 2 - _data\sounds\z01BPK\pep_rap.wav - as discovered by Jess like four years ago: https://instaud.io/1v20

Shadowblaze

This tune samples a music from another game.

Which samples a line said in a concert of some rock band, and which is used in a lot of Eurodance stuff. I sampled it too, but I'm not gonna use it anytime soon. :P

Dazzgracefulmoon

hoo. I could make a pretty big post about jet set radio because 95% of the game's music has tons of samples.

I might just do that on a rainy day

9 hours ago, Shadowblaze said:

This tune samples a music from another game.

Correction. Huuuuge correction. One game did not sample the other, they both merely happened to sample the same source by coincidence. Which goes for every song in this thread, and is what the whole thread is about.

I was actually going to post those buy you beat me to it.

BTW the source is a live recording of Kiss, performing "Hotter than Hell" at a concert called "Alive"

Shadowblaze
1 minute ago, Fush said:

Correction. Huuuuge correction. One have did not sample the other, they both merely happened to sample the same source by coincidence. Which goes for every song in this thread, and is what the whole thread is about.

Well, if you listen closely in the Ratchet and Clank music the hihats are sampled as well (probably some background percussion too but I can't tell). That means the whole sequence is sampled, and it's probably the one in the Sonic game. The volume balancing is different, but probably Bergeaud used a compressor.

The percussion doesn't sound remotely similar to me, but even assuming that it is the same, all that tells me is that they both used a version of the sample that already had percussion added.

The chances of one game deliberately sampling another is just miniscule in my eyes.

Shadowblaze

It's actually basically confirmed that Bergeaud used another sample, because of his musical influences, but it would be funny if he actually took that from Sonic CD. :P The percussion is completely different, yeah, but I was talking about the hihats. They do not quite match anyway, so this was just a big waste of time. :P

I'd do that. :P

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
TheBillionTonBrick
On 4/16/2016 at 12:17 AM, Terrev said:

0:30

1:05

https://pro.beatport.com/track/world-tribal-crossroads-original-mix/1878069 (Hot Wheels Mechanix seems to have bought music rather than have stuff composed for it specifically)

0:18

2:13

Just curious, anybody got other examples?

I recognize some of the samples in Tiki Jungle.... the "YOOOOOOOUUUUUH" and  shouting "yeeee" sounds seem to be ported almost directly from (or using similar soundfonts to) the early N64 Banjo-Kazooie games.

Hm, several videos in this topic have gone dead - I updated my first post here with a different video of the same music, and also added the track names/games they're from, in case those links die in the future.

Edit: Also updated the pep_rap.wav link.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.