The Game won't start on my Windows 7 operation system

SeeJay

Hello guys,

I got the following problem. I can't play LRR because it won't start. The installation worked fine but when I try to run the game nothing happens. I already tried every compatibility mode (XP, 98, 95 etc.) and already changed most of the options. I also tried to copy the dll file from the CD into my windows\system and system32 folder but that didn't work either. I am really frustrated atm and I would be very thankful for some help :/

My system: Windows 7 Home Premium

NVIDIA Geforce GT 630M

i7 2670WM

I also recorded my screen: 

If you have a windows xp iso file or physical disc lying around, I would recommend you install it on a virtual machine and install LRR in the virtual machine. I like Oracle VM VirtualBox , but you can pick whichever program you find attractive. There are plenty of tutorials on the internet on how to install xp in a VM, so just follow one of those, make sure it's from a reputable source though, and don't forget to install the Guest Additions in order to get 3D to work (to a degree).

20 hours ago, willphiln31 said:

If you have a windows xp iso file or physical disc lying around, I would recommend you install it on a virtual machine and install LRR in the virtual machine. I like Oracle VM VirtualBox , but you can pick whichever program you find attractive. There are plenty of tutorials on the internet on how to install xp in a VM, so just follow one of those, make sure it's from a reputable source though, and don't forget to install the Guest Additions in order to get 3D to work (to a degree).

First of all thank you for your reply. I already tried that but I had a few problems and I thought it would be possible to play RR on Windows 7 :/

Trying to play a classic LEGO game and it won't start? Half-way through a mission and the thing crashes? Did it set fire to your dog?

In all of the above scenarios, we'll endeavour to help, but in order to help we'll need some information first-and-foremost so that we can better assist with your situation. Here's what to include when you have a problem:

1. The Problem

What I Expected: Tell us what the expected outcome of your actions was (for example, if the game won't start, you'd say you'd expect the game to launch and the opening movies to play).

What Actually Happened: Tell us what actually occurred in as much detail as possible. Try to be very specific (for example, if the game window flickers before it completely stops running, make sure to mention that). If you notice a pattern to the game crashing, such as the game crashing at a specific cutscene or if it crashes every 5th time loading up, let us know that.

Any Weird Behaviour: Please note any specific weird behaviour, such as music not playing or the game running extremely slowly. These might be indicators as to the cause of your problem, or unrelated problems we can also fix.

2. Your Setup

Your Version of the Game: Please tell us any information about the version of the game you have; for example, if your copy of the game is in German or a non-English language it can change a lot about the game. We also would like to know if your game requires the disc in the drive to play, and where the disc came from (if it was an original run, if it was a Focus Interactive version, if it was part of the 10-in-1 games box etc).

What You've Already Tried/Done: Be extremely specific and tell us what troubleshooting you've already done, including what Windows Compatibility Settings you've tried, any mods you've downloaded/installed, any changes to the game's configuration files, if you've extracted the game's archives etc. It may be helpful to upload any of your own modded files via the RRU Uploader and link them to us so that we can double check if there's any problem.

Your System: We need to know the following components of your system, as some games have trouble on certain configurations;

• VM-Status: If you are running the game through a Virtual Machine or using Wine/Bootcamp on non-Windows operating systems, please let us know.
  • OS: Your operating system and its exact version/architecture (example: Windows 10 Home 64-bit).
  • CPU: The exact model and manufacturer of your CPU (example: Intel i7-4790).
  • GPU: The exact model and manufacturer of your GPU (example: NVIDIA GTX 980) [Please note: Some systems will name your integrated graphics chip (usually Intel Graphics 4000 or similar) rather than your actual hardware GPU, especially on laptops; this can point to LegoRR running on the wrong card].
  • RAM: The amount of RAM in your system (example: 16GBs)
  • HDD: The amount of free-space and total space on the hard-drive that the LEGO game is installed to/that you'd like to install to (example 150GB/2TB).

To find this information, you can do the following:

1. Run dxdiag.exe. On Windows 10, begin typing "dxdiag" with the Start Menu open and it should eventually pop up; select it. In earlier versions, either use the search bar in the start menu or use the Win-R button shortcut to open run, type in "dxdiag.exe" without quotation marks and press enter.
  2. On the first page (labelled as the "System" tab), you will find your Operating System (OS), Processor (CPU) and Memory (RAM).
  3. On the second page (labelled as the "Display" (single-monitor setup) or "Display 1" (multi-monitor setup) tab) you will find the Name (GPU).
  4. To find your HDD information, open "This PC" (Windows 10) or "My Computer" (Earlier); if the free/total space is not displayed under your hard-drive, you can right-click on a hard-drive and select "Properties" to open a window which has the information (HDD).

Error Reports: IF YOUR GAME CRASHES and Windows has the "Game.exe has stopped working" message appear, DO NOT CANCEL OR CLOSE IT UNTIL IT HAS FINISHED THE PROGRESS BAR. If it does occur, your crash logs may become valuable pieces of information. To retrieve them for us, do the following:

1. Open the Event Viewer. On Windows 10, right click the start menu button and press "Event Viewer". In earlier versions, either use the search bar in the start menu to find "Event Viewer", or open Control Panel > Administrator Tools > Computer Management and press the "Event Viewer" item in the left-most pane.
  2. In the Event Viewer, click the following in the left pane: Windows Logs > Application.
  3. You are looking for two events; under the "Source" column, they will say "Application Error" and "Windows Error Reporting". They should be near the top, if not the top-most events.
  4. For both; click on the event. Under the "General" tab in the box, you should see "LegoRR.exe", "LR2.exe" or the executable name for the LEGO game you are trying to run. If you see that, you have the right event(s).
  5. Copy the contents of the box for both events and send that with the rest of your report.

PLEASE NOTE: You may delete everything from "Attached files" to the bottom in the Windows Error Reporting log as that is not important, but we need the filepaths as they are recorded in the Application Error event.

10 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

One question - Have we ever managed to pull anything of use out of the crash logs?

Files paths tell us where the program is installed, so we can see if it's been put in VirtualStore. The Faulting Module tells us if it is a graphics driver or a game problem. There's some other info we can pull from crash logs by looking through error codes.

This is what happens when I start the game. First of all I got a blackscreen for 2 seconds. I exspected that the game would run correctly at this moment. But then I got back to my desktop and the colours were changed horribly. Then another blackscreen for 2 seconds and I was back on my normal coloured desktop. But that just happens when I enable 16 bit colours. If I disable 16 bit colours the game won't even "start".

I got an original disk of LRR and I need it to be in the drive to be played. The disk should be german. 

I already tried compatibility options such as Windows XP SP 3, Windows 98, Windows 95 and Windows 2000 but nothing changed.

My files should be clean without any mods in it.

That is my system:

VM-Status: I am not using a VM.

CPU: Intel i7-2670 WM

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GT 630M

RAM: 4GBs

HDD: 716 GB left

I am using a Laptop just for your information.

Please go to C:\Program Files\LEGO Media\Games\LEGO Rock Raiders, or whatever the folder is that contains LegoRR.exe. You should see a file that has the extension ".icd". Please let me know the filesize of this file.

The filesize: 720 KB

That is what the Event Viewer is reporting:

Fehlerbucket 341081775, Typ 1

Ereignisname: APPCRASH

Antwort: Nicht verfügbar

CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:

P1: LegoRR.exe

P2: 0.0.0.0

P3: 37ac3430

P4: LegoRR.exe

P5: 0.0.0.0

P6: 37ac3430

P7: c0000005

P8: 0000aae4

P9:

P10:

Diese Dateien befinden sich möglicherweise hier:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_LegoRR.exe_82db781f193229ceee113776161217280b624fe_107cdd92

Berichts-ID: 4bd1f6fb-0182-11e6-aec2-dc0ea11aee28

Berichtstatus: 0

The issue is because of a critical Windows update that removed the SecuROM/SafeDisc driver from Windows 7, 8 and 10. Because of this, games that require SecuROM (including certain versions of LegoRR such as yours) can no longer be played on these systems unless you force the driver to load, get a DRM-less .exe or have a different version of the game.

There are a few solutions, including locally signing the SecuROM driver in order to allow Windows to run it, but we're going to attempt something much more basic for now:

1. Open the Command Prompt as an Administrator. To do this, find the Command Prompt in the Start Menu, right-click and press "Run as Administrator". To tell if you were successful, the path displayed should be "C:\Windows\System32" rather than your user profile.
  2. Please enter the following code without quotes: "sc start secdrv"
  3. Run LegoRR.exe.
  4. When you are finished, run this command without quotes: "sc stop secdrv"

This is guaranteed not to work on Windows 10, but is likely the driver files were only disabled, not deleted on Windows 7. Please let me know how it goes.

So it sounds like the SecuROM driver has been removed from your system, which is frankly expected. There are few more solutions to this problem, but they're all extremely detailed. I'd rather you send me a personal message and I'll try and sort this all out for you.

For future reference of anybody who reads this topic, the legal solutions remaining are:

• With a legal copy of Windows XP, install VirtualBox, create the Virtual Machine and run LegoRR in your virtual copy of WIndows XP. This will of course incur a performance penalty.
  • Locally Resign and Reinstall the SecuROM driver on your machine, which opens your computer up to the prospect of malware but will allow you to run LegoRR and any other SecuROM/SafeDisc secured games.
  • Find a new copy of LegoRR (which will be hard as the numbers of remaining discs are dwindling) that was released without the DRM features. One known copy is the Encore reprint, which was part of the Kid's Craze: LEGO box set that also included two other LEGO games.

I have contacted The LEGO Group in the hopes that they can generate a patch or come up with another solution to this issue, but those are the only ways to solve this problem as of now.

2 hours ago, mumboking said:

You could try using unSafeDisc v1.5.5. It's what I used to remove the protection from LEGO Racers.

I'm worried about the legality of using it.

19 minutes ago, Ben2x4 said:

I'm worried about the legality of using it.

I highly doubt anyone would care enough to come after you for it. If you legally own the game, then it should be fine.

• 3 months later...

I had the same crash at startup. If this doesn’t work for you:

sc start secdrv --> It can't be started. It is deactivated or not linked with any active devices

Go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv

And set:
Start = 3

Info:
4 to disable the driver's service
3 to set the driver's service to manual
2 to set the driver's service to automatic

Worked for me on Windows 7 Pro 64bit
secdrv.sys (23KB) has already been at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

Source:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.