LEGO.com 20th Birthday

emily

They've put up a little microsite to celebrate! I wonder if those screenshots without broken images mean they've saved all the older versions of the site internally. Then again, they're missing the 2001-03 version of the site there, and that one's by far the most broken on the Internet Archive.

Probably the most interesting part is what they've chosen to equate 1996 - 2016 in the matching game at the bottom. When you've 'matched' enough things you get this?

lol username

The wallpaper you get is random, you can see more if you refresh the page too. Here's all the ones I've seen:

castle01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg?l.r2=-9

town01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg?l.r2=-900

space01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg?l.r2=-90

pirates01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg?l.r2=8

aquazone01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg?l.r2=

western01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg?l.r2=-

timecruisers01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg?l

train01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg?l.r2=339

freestyle01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg?l.r2

technic01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg?l.r2=-

1 minute ago, Terrev said:

The wallpaper you get is random, you can see more if you refresh the page too. Here's all the ones I've seen:

oooh, nice! Haven't seen a lot of that art at all before. 96 sure was a good lego year.

• Like 2

Dazzgracefulmoon

man, those are some cool wallpapers. they bring back that sense of adventure and imagination I got from playing with LEGOs.

1 hour ago, AaronBurner05 said:

I always loved the wacky dioramas that LEGO used to make. Nice of them to provide some wallpapers!

Hmmm...

Spoiler

6135-1.jpg

aquazone01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg

Spoiler

alt-6024-1.jpg

castle01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg

Spoiler

6248-1.jpg

pirates01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg

Spoiler

024.jpg

town01_wallpaper_2560x1440.jpg

They probably have the photos for the Rock Raiders sets in high-resolution floating around somewhere...

• Like 1

LEGO.com was gold for me during 2005. Aside from the cool web games that were available back then, there was something about the site's theme that just did it for me; it was colorful and appeared to have a much better contrast between the past and present. I also miss the old Club Page Comic Caption contests, both for the images and the silly things club members wrote. :P

Unfortunately, I missed a lot on the site before 2005. :( I wish that LEGO preserved old content (i.e. games, theme info, etc.) in an archive section instead of scrapping it. There's some stuff I'd love to have back, such as the Life on Mars Radio Logs and Tales on The LEGO Express game.

2 hours ago, Merdon said:

I miss classic town and... well... classic LEGO in general.

I share your words.

lol username
7 hours ago, AaronBurner05 said:

I always loved the wacky dioramas that LEGO used to make. Nice of them to provide some wallpapers!

The commercials too:

7 hours ago, Terrev said:

The commercials too:

I never really thought about it before, but man an entire series done like this plus some stopmotion would have been absurdly fun.

like, this or this or any of the things you linked but for 22 minutes.

I guess that's almost what the LEGO movie is, in its own way. probably the closest thing we'll ever get.

• Like 1

lol username

Aw man, those japanese commercials are great, the little bits of stop motion in there really add a lot. Having the stories from the comics and audio dramas told in that format would be awesome. Though, we did get this, which is pretty cool:

(The story starts at 30 seconds in)

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.