LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

Couldn't resist using the spawn too much command as many times as my computer could allow. (It could barely handle past 5 times haha.)

spawnedtoomuch.png

Also, I love that the sky color is saved upon exiting.

Here is an interesting idea;

If in the future you plan to incorporate the "missions" (Pizza Delivery, Mechanic Pick-up, Race, etc), how about when you complete Nubby's "Drive to the Race Track and Return" mission, you are allowed to drive the vehicle you usually see him repair?

If you incorporate the ability to switch characters (between Pepper, Mama, Papa, Nick and Laura), then maybe you have to do the repair mission as all the player-available minifigs before you get the Generic Car?

Like with Wognif's request to incorporate the Car as drivable, this doesn't have to be top priority. It's just a one-off suggestion for a future build.

Also; I tried to stress-test my computer to see how it could cope with higher Graphics quality than 'Simple', so I set it to 'Beautiful' and I got this;

ZRZjqt7.png

Do I get the 'Best Game Tester who really shouldn't be the Best Game Tester' award?

• Like 3

bphillips09
11 hours ago, Xiron said:

Suggestions for next update:

Move the Pepper model a few inches back from the camera so you aren't looking inside your own head. :P

For the airplane, try adding a decelerator, and maybe make the planes incapable of ground bouncing flawlessly (which would be part of the decelerator). ;P

Any chance of going in the lifeguard tower at the beach, or at the very least able to walk over the base it is on?

When I did the "spawn too much" command, I suddenly felt the urge to pick up items with the "e" (use) key like you can in valve/source games. I'm not sure how appropriate it would be to add such a function in this game, but perhaps it would be something to think about.

The rideable skateboard needs physics like all other objects. By that I mean if you exit it mid-air currently, it stays mid-air.

Question: How do you scroll up in the console? Nevermind, I kept losing the mouse due clicking anywhere. Suggestion (or bug report?) Make it so when the console is open and you click the mouse it won't disappear. Oh, and one more note for console, I think Board should perhaps be called Skateboard, that was actually what I tried first before knowing the name

Since the spawn command is in now, I don't think it is really necessary to have the racetrack filled with garbage. Perhaps that can be tidied up in one of the near future updates.

Edit: Driving that car in third person looks awesome (there should perhaps be a key to toggle between first and third though).

Great, now fix the gravel paths too. ;P

These are all really good ideas. I'll fix the path textures, too.

2 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

Here is an interesting idea;

If in the future you plan to incorporate the "missions" (Pizza Delivery, Mechanic Pick-up, Race, etc), how about when you complete Nubby's "Drive to the Race Track and Return" mission, you are allowed to drive the vehicle you usually see him repair?

If you incorporate the ability to switch characters (between Pepper, Mama, Papa, Nick and Laura), then maybe you have to do the repair mission as all the player-available minifigs before you get the Generic Car?

I think that's also a really good idea. Especially because most people wanted to have the ability to be other NPCs.

2 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

Also; I tried to stress-test my computer to see how it could cope with higher Graphics quality than 'Simple', so I set it to 'Beautiful' and I got this;

-snip-

That's really interesting, what kind of specs does your PC have? Also, can you send me that crash dump folder so I can see what went wrong and possibly fix it in the future?

• Like 2

bphillips09
2 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

Could you make the images scale without interpolation? I prefer pixel art over blurry stuff. Also let them render in original aspect ratio; not stretched, not stitched.

I could, but the aspect ratio for each one is different. You can set the resolution of the game to a 4:3 aspect ratio and they will render in original form.

Edit: Plus, I think these interior images are just temporary.

bphillips09
9 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

That is the point. Regardless of resolution, the image should be stuck to the center of the screen. Interactive stuff should therefore also be calculated from the screen center rather than from the border.

The problem here is that each image is on a plane that stretches to the camera's size while the island is rendered in the background. Since everything takes place in the same scene (which is why you can see the island from the elevator/infocenter/observation deck), it would look like this:

X6qeiLM.png

9 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

In another thing, when the cutscene at the second floor of the infocenter plays, the elevator music should be paused/stopped.

That's how I originally had it, but when I went back into LEGO Island and tested it myself, the elevator music still plays while the cutscene plays.

You can see a video of it here: 

How are these for loading icon/ trivia loading screen:

loading icon:

loadinganim1.gif

Trivia screen:

loadingscreenanim1.gif

Inspiration for the loading icon came randomly while thinking about the scorecube.

I removed text from the trivia loading animation because I thought it might be easier to add some code that pulls a random string of text over the speech bubble that derives itself from a text file, kinda like how the splash text on Minecraft's main menu works. Simpler and less time consuming/less files than having to make multiple copies of the same thing but with different message.

And believe me, it took me a while and quite a hassle to add the loading icon to each frame.

bphillips09
15 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

For one, it is still squashed. For reference, the circle around the arrow at the top of the elevator should be, well, round.

For the sides, calculate the borders of the image

Yeah that was just an example. 

I ended up setting the aspect ratio of a new generated rect and rendering a new camera view that letterboxes beyond the 4:3 aspect ratio for every interior camera

KoEErvD.jpg

bphillips09
14 minutes ago, Wognif said:

How are these for loading icon/ trivia loading screen:

Inspiration for the loading icon came randomly while thinking about the scorecube.

I removed text from the trivia loading animation because I thought it might be easier to add some code that pulls a random string of text over the speech bubble that derives itself from a text file, kinda like how the splash text on Minecraft's main menu works. Simpler and less time consuming/less files than having to make multiple copies of the same thing but with different message.

And believe me, it took me a while and quite a hassle to add the loading icon to each frame.

I really like those. Do you have one without the "Loading" text, though? Also, do you know where I can find some LEGO Island trivia?

As for adding the loading icon to each frame, I can do that in Unity with the two separate images.

10 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

That is also a possibility, maybe even more efficient. Though IIRC, the window in the door was not transparent. Possibly because there is nothing behind it to render, since it is the exit of the game ('the void' ;))

You're right. I might just leave it as-is for now.

1 minute ago, bphillips09 said:

I really like those. Do you have one without the "Loading" text, though? Also, do you know where I can find some LEGO Island trivia?

You're right. I might just leave it as-is for now.

Well, not currently, but I can edit out the "Loading" text. Should be a lot faster of an edit than inserting the loading icon into it (I hope so anyway)

As for trivia, well, that part I'm not sure.

bphillips09
3 minutes ago, Wognif said:

Well, not currently, but I can edit out the "Loading" text. Should be a lot faster of an edit than inserting the loading icon into it (I hope so anyway)

As for trivia, well, that part I'm not sure.

Actually I can just use the initial one you linked yesterday and remove the text and overlay the logo on top.

14 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Actually I can just use the initial one you linked yesterday and remove the text and overlay the logo on top.

I just started working on removing the "Loading" text haha, but go ahead. :)

Edit: finished editing it anyways. Image I posted 36 minutes ago should be updated, if not here:

loadingscreenanim1.gif

Fluffy Cupcake

I'd say maybe wikipedia, some info on developer pages that are out there, and us here RRU are your best bets for trivia.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lordtobi909 said:

Here's a trivia fact: LEGO Island sold 909.000 copies in tree years.

Mmm... Tree years. :nick:

• Like 3

bphillips09

Just wondering, is there any demand for a Linux build? I'm going to build v0.9 for Windows and Mac, and can probably do Linux too if there's a demand. I don't currently have Linux on any of my machines so I can't test it just yet, though.

Edit: Ok so as of right now, I don't know if I'm going to be able to get a Mac build working for v0.9. Unity 5.3 has some issues that cause the Mac client not to work and also causes the crash that @Ben24x7 had on Windows regarding thread access. Until I'm able to update Unity (might be a few days), I don't think I'll be able to resolve either of those issues.

• Like 2

The Brickster

For some reason, when I spawn buildings and throw them into the ocean they end up on the race track disassembled. Is it the way they're supposed to behave?:)

v9Pzm1sEjcE.jpg  

• Like 3

Well, the steering of the car is very wonky, making it difficult to follow the roads. I fell into the ocean and respawned at the track like 3-4 times while trying to drive over to the Information Center. Also, is it supposed to shake a little upon entering/exiting a ramp?

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username featured this topic
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.