LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

48 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Edit: Also, would it be beneficial at all to create a new thread here just for releases?

Nah, let's keep it in one thread. Also, moving this to member projects.

3 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Any kind of multiplayer (whether it's multiplayer minigames or general multiplayer roaming) is definitely on my "list of functionality to eventually have". However, due to the sheer complexity of real-time networking, physics, translation, and client/server syncing, this is somewhat far down the list and will not be an easy task. While Unity does somewhat-simplify real-time multiplayer networking, it's still very complicated. And while I do have multiplayer development experience, I don't have nearly as much as someone in the networking-specific development field would.

Understandable, best thing to do once we tackle that multiplayer issue is to create a base system which allows easy modification in case there's more mini-games that could get a multiplayer version or if we decide to have a multiplayer mode for the entire island. (I just say this in a line or two but I'm fully aware that this will take a lot of work)

Also, I wanted to get y'alls opinion on a few things. As the game's features grow, so does the size of the game (disk space). The current release is around 80MB compressed and about 200MB uncompressed. Do you guys think that Redux should eventually have a "patching/updating" system similar to something like the one League of Legends has? This way, the entire game does not have to be downloaded again every time there is an update. 

Well, ultimately the size doesn't matter but a smart updating system would help a lot when the game gets bigger and there's more updates. A friend of mine recently made such a system flawlessly and I could ask him for advise on the matter.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked before here (on RRU), but does anyone know if any of the original bounces exist for the music in Lego Island? It would be great to have some better quality versions of the tunes that accompany an "HD remake" of a 1997 game. If not, do you guys think we should recreate the music? (Similar to how that Super Mario 64 HD Remake has a modernized/jazz-version of the original song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgVH0N6ao7Q). 

As @Xiron sadly stated the original soundtrack lies on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean but getting in contact with some of the composers and see if they feel like helping out with this fan project is an idea that could be pursued just to see what the options are besides a fan-made rendition of the soundtrack or the old soundtrack. Also this brought me to something else, maybe consider contacting Wes Jenkins even if it is only to let him know that LI is getting a remake that so far keeps true to the original in design? Would be lovely to have some feedback from him don't you agree?

For now I'm going on with the interior designs and my personal projects since my work sent me home earlier because the boiler broke and the office was way too cold to work in.

So I've run into a bit of a pickle with the interior designs, apparently Lego Worlds only allows a select amount of windows to be placed in one location (absolutely ridiculous in my opinion for a game that is supposed to allow great deals of creativity to come true). Which makes finishing the Police Station interior a bit more difficult but I will look for a work around for the issue.)

The car accelerates horribly when first getting in and will sometimes drive away on its own when you get out. I will fix this soon!

I don't know if anyone's said this but the second is a glitch in LI1 itself - drive car at high speed, quickly exit before speed drops to 0 - car keeps travelling. l405G.jpg

For best result, V+A your way onto the sea and warp your cars into there. Repeat above glitch and they run round in loops (quite well-defined ones actually), usually running over the NPCs who spawned there. l405G.jpg

Fluffy Cupcake
1 hour ago, aidenpons said:

I don't know if anyone's said this but the second is a glitch in LI1 itself

Glitch, or feature? I mean think about it. How else would it know how to continue off a set route? (The route it takes depends on where you jump off).

Fluffy Cupcake
6 hours ago, Legorza said:

Great, I'll begin work tomorrow.

Okey dokey!

Alright so I got the basics of @DarkianMaker's gas station interior all optimized and ready to go, so bphillips will be messing around with that later this week.
In the meantime here's a couple screenshots.

You can see here that there is still a lot of details missing, like the rails, ceiling fan, island map & calendar, etc. So the room is still rather bland.

G_Interior_2.png

and here we have the garage where you'll be building your car(s), there's also a lot details missing here too.

Interior_Garage.png

15 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Alright so I got the basics of @DarkianMaker's gas station interior all optimized and ready to go, so bphillips will be messing around with that later this week.
In the meantime here's a couple screenshots.

That's pretty cool albeit I guess the Garage was done due to its smaller size and less detailed walls like the Hospital and the Police Station have? :P

I have a free day today and will continue on the Police Station interior (which has been taking some more time than expected.)

Okay, today I'm finally done with the Police Station interior (it is not 100% done but if I go and spend time on placing desks and such I might go more insane than I already am xD) After 4 redesigns which took place after 7 errors it is finally done and the video is below. I didn't anticipate how much work the Police Station was going to be until I was in the middle of it.

On another note, I had my 7 year old niece play the game for a while and she enjoyed going absolutely nuts with the car. A good sign if even the next generation likes the Remake :)

I also came up with something when I talked with my younger brother earlier about the project and the prospect of multiplayer: How funny would it be to be able to explore the island with friends just so a friend crashes into you with his car and your minifig falls apart and then another person might accidentally kick your head causing it to fly away whilst you are still in first person view? xD

Going to work on the other interiors later, first I'm going to tinker with blowing up the RR code.

-----------

Guys, @bphillips09, @Xiron and whoever else helps with the project or is following its progress!

I've just finished up on an e-mail to Wes Jenkins with word of this project and an invitation to come and join the conversation! :D

Whilst I wait for a response I will mostly be working on more interior designs and come up with ideas for upgrades to the existing missions.

Edited by DarkianMaker
Preventing doublepost
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Xiron said:

Speaking of Wes, I still hope he's doing alright.

Same!

On 12/7/2016 at 3:01 PM, DarkianMaker said:

I've just finished up on an e-mail to Wes Jenkins with word of this project and an invitation to come and join the conversation! :D

Let me know if he responds!!

Fluffy Cupcake

@Legorza; 90% great. As much I love the design, the is one problem and that is that there is one design shattering inconsistency.

Looking at the pavement surrounding the exterior, I can only imagine that is the door they use to take out the mail to the mail trucks (not that the island has one, right? We could make a mail delivery minigame...), otherwise I don't know why a post office needs two doors.

13 hours ago, Xiron said:

Speaking of Wes, I still hope he's doing alright.

2 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Same!

2 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Let me know if he responds!!

Well I have a response from Wes, he just came back from the hospital and is recovering for a bit. He is interested in the progress and will stay in touch but he will make a decision on whether he will join in on the thread or not in the near future.

10 hours ago, Legorza said:

Now a couple of notes, the 3 2x4 tiles behind the crates are intended to represent a map of LEGO Island, the crates are meant to have mail and packages in them,  and the floor in front of the counter should have a mail logo on it.

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

@Legorza; 90% great. As much I love the design, the is one problem and that is that there is one design shattering inconsistency.

Looking at the pavement surrounding the exterior, I can only imagine that is the door they use to take out the mail to the mail trucks (not that the island has one, right? We could make a mail delivery minigame...), otherwise I don't know why a post office needs two doors.

@Legorza in essence it is a cool design but you are aware you had the freedom of using a larger interior space  as long as the features and measurements are correct? Furthermore I agree with @Xiron, the Post Office has two doors and should have them both integrated into its design. It would seem logical for me for the Post Office to have a sorting room which uses that second door as an exit to a mail truck/mail delivery bike. I will share my design when it is done later today so you can see which direction I was considering.

Fluffy Cupcake
27 minutes ago, DarkianMaker said:

but you are aware you had the freedom of using a larger interior space  as long as the features and measurements are correct?

We're actually testing out the large gas station interior right now. It's a little tricky to get right for sure when going between in and out and vise-versa. My info interior was much easier to incorporate because the size wasn't to far off from the exterior size, and as well it is also on top of a flat cliff meaning no obstructions around it, even if the size was larger. We'll see how the incorporation of the gas interior will turn out, hopefully we'll have some positive results within the next few days.

35 minutes ago, Xiron said:

We're actually testing out the large gas station interior right now. It's a little tricky to get right for sure when going between in and out and vise-versa. My info interior was much easier to incorporate because the size wasn't too far off from the exterior size, and as well it is also on top of a flat cliff. We'll see how the incorporation of the gas interior will turn out, hopefully with some positive results in the next few days.

I figured the Garage was going to be an issue with its size (I expect the Police Station and Hospital to be less of an issue since those are also in their own corner on a flat cliff) but you've seen how cramped the 2:1 build was of the Garage interior and the 4:1 just about gave the needed room for all the features that had to be put into it. Maybe I should look at a 3:1 build and see if that works?

Besides, for the Post Office I was only going to use a 2:1 build since a 4:1 build would just be ridiculously big for such a small building with little importance (so far) and I was just going to split the interior in the Post Sorting room on the right and the normal front desk Post Office stuff on the left.

-----

Alright, this is what the 2:1 build of the Post Office interior looks like from the outside. http://prnt.sc/dh9wpc

This is the front desk part. http://prnt.sc/dh9x20

And this is the post sorting section. http://prnt.sc/dh9xcc

@Xiron I've checked and there should be enough flat unused space at the Post Office to make it a reality with its current scale without too much trouble. And I was thinking that we could combine the interior designs of me and @Legorza since he shows to have a better knack for furniture than me (although that could also be related to the difference in software and Lego Worlds' abysmal lack of diverse bricks.

Edited by DarkianMaker
Preventing doublepost

1 hour ago, Legorza said:

One other note, I may start work on my version of the Superstore interior.

Cool, I was working on it earlier as well and I think that a 1:1 build will do just fine since the building isn't as flat as some of the others and the terrain around it will make it harder for a large interior to work as presented with the Garage atm.

So I went ahead and recreated LEGO Island's walk cycle, and...

Snp6SKt.gif

...eh.

I feel like it'd be a better idea to make a new one from scratch, rather than copy the lazy LI version.

3 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

So I went ahead and recreated LEGO Island's walk cycle, and...

*snip*

...eh.

I feel like it'd be a better idea to make a new one from scratch, rather than copy the lazy LI version.

What about the other walk cycles?

2 hours ago, mumboking said:

What about the other walk cycles?

LEGO Island has more walk cycles?

Is this something to do with changing character's mood?

10 hours ago, DarkianMaker said:

I think that a 1:1 build will do just fine since the building isn't as flat as some of the others and the terrain around it will make it harder for a large interior to work as presented with the Garage atm.

i'd think a supermarket would be a bit bigger than that tho

Fluffy Cupcake

You know, if every building on LEGO Island wasn't made of 70% glass the interior job would be a lot easier, because we could probably just make the unseen faces on the island model invisible when inside if so.

I figured now that we're on the superstore topic to give a reminder that a back door does exist, making the job that much harder.

3 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

LEGO Island has more walk cycles?

Is this something to do with changing character's mood?

Yes. Example:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

You know, if every building on LEGO Island wasn't made of 70% glass the interior job would be a lot easier, because we could probably just make the unseen faces on the island model invisible when inside if so.

Yeah we got pretty lucky with the major building being on an edge/corner where the interiors can hang over water. Still not entirely sure what to do about the gas station. Although aside from the entrance door, nothing else has to line-up or match with the exterior so we do have lots of room there. 

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.