LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

Time for me to do another bug report! :D

The player appears to get stuck on this particular bridge.

Going to floor two of the Info center causes this to happen.

Clicking on any of the houses (in the minimap) causes you to see their interiors a bit early. *image*

I'm not really sure if I pointed this out, but it appears that the elevator doors are open a tad. *image*

One problem I have is that it feels a bit like pressing f to get out of the car doesn't seem to work half the time.

Annnnnnnd.... Done.

Edited by TJ6Red
Added specification to third glitch.
  • Thanks 1

bphillips09
On 5/5/2018 at 10:57 PM, Xir said:

Turning off Nightmare mode seems to throw a FromatException error.

Fixed

On 5/6/2018 at 12:47 AM, TJ6Red said:

Going to floor two of the Info center causes this to happen

Fixed (lol at that image title)

I'm not really sure if I pointed this out, but it appears that the elevator doors are open a tad. *image*

I remember you (or someone else) pointing this out. Will fix.

One problem I have is that it feels a bit like pressing f to get out of the car doesn't seem to work half the time.

Fixed? I was only able to reproduce this once, but I think I figured out what the issue was, and haven't been able to reproduce it since. So I thiiiiiink it's fixed. Logically, it would make sense that it shouldn't happen again.

The player appears to get stuck on this particular bridge.

Clicking on any of the houses (in the minimap) causes you to see their interiors a bit early. *image*

Fixed. These two issues were related to the same issue (and the reason why there is an 'Unstick' button. I've been putting off fixing this for a while since it requires me inverting the faces on those models manually. However, I just realized that I could write one line of code to permanently fix those issues (literally just updating the MeshCollider for any object that required normal inversion). Eventually I will have all the models in correctly and won't rely on the code to flip the faces, but for now it works. This fix also basically removes the need for the 'Unstick' button, but I will leave it in until it's 100% unnecessary. 

Another bug I noticed is that if you use the jukebox, you cannot exit the jukebox view. That is also fixed.

Thank you both (and everyone else!!) for bug testing! I live for fixing bugs haha

I will publish the update soon (probably tomorrow morning or afternoon). And will include MacOS/Linux builds this time.

Can someone with a relatively low-powered GPU (integrated graphics or basically anything else below the equivalent of a GTX 960) test the game with varying quality settings (in 1080p or lower) and report the average FPS? I have limited hardware to test with and am implementing optimizations as much as possible. 

aidenpons
35 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Can someone with a relatively low-powered GPU (integrated graphics or basically anything else below the equivalent of a GTX 960) test the game with varying quality settings (in 1080p or lower) and report the average FPS? I have limited hardware to test with and am implementing optimizations as much as possible. 

I've no GPU at all, a nice i5 6400 at 2.7 GHz and 16 GB of RAM.

FPS is as low as 20 and as high as 80 (when there's not much to see). The average is a comfortable 40. No framedrops or anything of that nature, even when... screwing around with the jetski. Or starting the Pathfinding AI.

5 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

I don't know if this is below the level of "a GTX 960" (I've never understood Graphics Card naming/numbering schemes) but I have an integrated AMD Radeon R5 card which I consider to be a "decent, but not acceptable" graphics card (it's not good at running modern games, but at least it can play games from 2004 at a steady 60fps).

Anyway, I tried running the game in all four graphics settings in 1280x720 resolution with no V-Sync while standing in different places on the island with "Real-time streetlights" disabled. I'm not sure how to judge the average fps I was getting at each, so these are rough approximations.

INSIDE INFO CENTER [facing west]

Low = 14-15fps

Medium = 15-16fps

High = 12fps

Ultra = 11fps

OUTSIDE INFO CENTER [facing west]

Low = 27fps

Medium = 23-24fps

High = 13-14fps

Ultra = 11fps

BEACH [facing north]

Low = 33fps

Medium = 24-27fps

High = 13-14fps

Ultra = 11-12fps

RESIDENTIAL AREA [facing east]

Low = 26fps

Medium = 20fps

High = 13fps

Ultra = 11fps

CENTRAL NORTH ROAD (I presume that's what it's called, based on the name of the music file) [facing south]

Low = 26fps

Medium = 23fps

High = 13fps

Ultra = 11-12fps

Also, while I was noting down readings from the fps counter, I found this bug. I don't know if it's an issue with my graphics card, an issue with running the game at Ultra graphics or an issue with running a 64-bit version instead of the 32-bit version, but when the sun sets/rises, these weird red/purple/black squares appear in the sky:

ntjoR42.png

bphillips09

Thanks! It should also be noted that enabling real-time streetlights should actually improve FPS as it sets all the cameras to Deferred Rendering but can significantly increase aliasing artifacts. 

@Ben24x7 Thanks for the details! The issue you posted is an artifact of HDR being enabled. I've disabled it for now and added in a toggle in the settings menu to enable it if desired. 

The update will be out soon, I have to wait for it to finish building then will upload it.

v0.9.6.5 is out! If you have a low-powered GPU, you can achieve reasonably higher framerates if you ensure HDR is disabled and real-time streetlights (deferred rendering) is enabled. For smoothest results, consider locking the FPS to the highest constant value you can achieve (if you're getting 35-40, lock it to 30; etc...)

Are you just gonna use the raw textures for decals? Because I've been making high resolution LI1 decals and I think they could have some usage here.

bphillips09
10 minutes ago, Red60 said:

Are you just gonna use the raw textures for decals? Because I've been making high resolution LI1 decals and I think they could have some usage here.

I'm happy to use whatever works and looks best. Do you have a link to some samples of what you've created?

Here's two recent ones. I also did Nick and The Brickster, but they probably need redoing.

cyclone2leader

Thank you so much, my lego island broke just a day ago.

Image result for crying gif

I just can't live without it.

bphillips09

Updated to v0.9.6.6. The links (and changelog) are in the initial post. The game should notify you of an update when starting, and if you accept it will take you to the first post.

bphillips09

To the person who submitted 8 bug reports in one day - thanks! I'm working on fixing them. 

EDIT: Apologies in advance for the long post! -- I'm going to push out an update tomorrow (within 24 hours from now) that fixes a lot of bugs and implements a lot of optimizations. This includes lots of framerate improvements for low-spec devices. I realized that among the assets ripped from the original game were models of varying level-of-detail, so I've implemented that for draw distance using biases in each graphical tier. For example, if you use the Ultra setting (or higher), you shouldn't really see a difference. However, if you use Low, Medium, or High, you should see a reasonable increase in framerate. I have to do some more tweaking and testing but I'll upload it as soon as that's done. 

There are some bugs that I cannot really fix right now. One of the biggest ones is being able to exit a building's interior non-conventionally (i.e. by pressing the Unstick button). It's not really a "bug", just something that I haven't programmed for and probably won't for a while since it doesn't really break the game.

In a few weeks I will begin the implementation of the story, characters, and missions. This doesn't mean that the game will be "100% completed and playable like the original LEGO Island" any time soon, but more progress will be made. I will continue to fix bugs, add smaller features, optimizations, and polish at a weekly pace. Bug reports are much appreciated (although please try to be as detailed as possible in reports, and add your RRU username if you want feedback!), and so are feature requests. The more features you can request, the better. I will try to get to them all in-time, as long as they are within the general scope of the game (for example, if someone requested something like: "Please make a first-person-shooter deathmatch mode!", that would go all the way at the bottom of the list of requests because it is way outside the scope of the original game and doesn't really have relevance, but would still be fun so it would still be put on the list). 

EDIT 2: Finishing up testing and polishing and will have the update out soon Just discovered a serious bug that causes a 20-30fps drop on older less-capable hardware. I'm gonna work on fixing it but probably won't have an update out until the middle of the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
bphillips09

Still working on fixing bugs! Should have an update out soon. The forum downtime gave me some more time to fix more bugs. There is one that was submitted (this one: https://i.imgur.com/9OpIauW.png and https://i.imgur.com/1lnufkD.png) that I haven't seen before and might not be able to fix yet. Also, to the anonymous user who submitted that bug, you submitted some more reports but none of them have any descriptions so I'm not sure what you were doing when these bugs occurred or where they occurred. For reference, these are the attached screenshots: https://i.imgur.com/oV6QVxs.png and https://i.imgur.com/YHp4i0G.png

On 6/2/2018 at 4:46 AM, bphillips09 said:

Also, to the anonymous user who submitted that bug, you submitted some more reports but none of them have any descriptions so I'm not sure what you were doing when these bugs occurred or where they occurred. For reference, these are the attached screenshots: https://i.imgur.com/oV6QVxs.png and https://i.imgur.com/YHp4i0G.png

Um... yeah, sorry, but it didn't work when I was trying to write, I just had to instantly press the button to report/send the bug.

It worked, but when I wanted to write it down I couldn't, so I reported it like this, I wanted to send another report about what happened, but I didn't send it, I thought that user events were being logged (like each button clicking on the active window and that can be activated in configuration as a more detailed logging), it would be good to implement that.

In past reports something similar happened, all the keys pressed were written in the description, so I just put "Pressed keys:" before that.

bphillips09
On 6/6/2018 at 3:54 PM, Sion said:

Um... yeah, sorry, but it didn't work when I was trying to write, I just had to instantly press the button to report/send the bug.

It worked, but when I wanted to write it down I couldn't, so I reported it like this, I wanted to send another report about what happened, but I didn't send it, I thought that user events were being logged (like each button clicking on the active window and that can be activated in configuration as a more detailed logging), it would be good to implement that.

In past reports something similar happened, all the keys pressed were written in the description, so I just put "Pressed keys:" before that.

Ah, gotcha, no worries. You know it's bad when even the bug reporter has bugs haha. Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to fix those issues. For reference, the details that I can see in bug reports are: 

• Title/Description
  • High res or low res screenshots (depending on internet connection)
  • Device metadata (Type of device/GPU/Graphics driver)
  • Game settings (Resolution/Quality/Language/Platform)
  • Current Game Information (FPS/Current active camera/Player position/Active objects)
  • Log events and active frame (In your case, about 100 'Screen position.... etc' errors)

The next build will fix the issue of keypresses being typed into the bug reporting fields, and I've added the option to include more information (such as RRU username for feedback) into the reports.

The 'Screen position out of view frustrum' error you got seems to be a Unity bug and not something I can fix on my own. Hopefully as the engine is updated those errors will be less common. I can only reproduce the error in the engine and not in a standalone build of the game, so maybe it is related to the game being run at a lower resolution as the canvas (UI) is scaled down. 

The other two screenshots seem to be of the player (or more likely the AI) walking through the walls of the gas-station interior. This is a bug that makes sense and has an easy fix (I need to set the interior as an avoidable object for AI pathfinding). 

Also, I must add (coincidentally with the GDPR going into effect in the EU last month): 

The last build (v0.9.6.6, the one available for download currently) adds analytical data collection as an opt-out feature. This is similar to bug reporting, but is sent automatically. The analytics service will collect and send information about the game and the device you're playing on to me through Unity Analytics. No personally identifiable information is sent to me. However, IP address and your device ID may be sent to Unity as part of their Analytics program. Other data collected may include hardware specifications and application-specific event identifiers. Please note, this can be disabled by you inside the game by disabling Analytics in the 'Game' section of the Settings window. I would suggest leaving this enabled to aid in development and bug fixing of the game, but it is up to you. Keep in mind, this non-identifiable information will still be sent when a bug report is submitted. 

• 4 weeks later...
bphillips09

Updates are coming soon!

Some changes:

- (Testing) Discord Rich Presence support (there wasn't a huge point in implementing this, but I wanted to learn the Discord API)

- Lots of bug fixes

- Lots of performance improvements for less-capable devices

- Backend changes to the codebase as I slowly progress in cleaning and optimizing code (especially if it's going to eventually be open source)

- Changes to the way data is handled when analytics or bug reporting are used

- Begin implementation of characters/AI/"story mode" (most of these are not visible or enabled yet, but the initial data is there)

• lol username pinned this topic
bphillips09

Game update coming later today. Also, unrelated but I 3D printed the info center. It turned out pretty good for a low layer resolution print, except that the front columns came off... https://i.imgur.com/9RW7BEv.jpg I could make it a loooot better at a higher layer resolution, but it would take a lot longer and use a lot more filament.

4 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

unrelated but I 3D printed the info center.

Man, I wish I had a 3D printer, looks good!

bphillips09

Updated to v0.9.6.9. The links (and changelog) are in the initial post. The game should notify you of an update when starting, and if you accept it will take you to the first post.

1 hour ago, Cyrem said:

Man, I wish I had a 3D printer, looks good!

The one I use the most (and probably the biggest and best you can get for the money) is the Creality CR-10. You can find it online for around $400, I got mine on sale for around $300 though.

Hey @bphillips09

I made Lego Island in VRChat and people have been wanting interiors. I was wondering if you wanted and were okay with tossing me the assets? You'll get credit of course!

here is a video of what I've done so far

• Cool Bro 1

Fluffy Cupcake

I have been the one modeling them, and while I'm fine with them being used in whatever, they were made especially for this project. So I'll wait on seeing if bphilips wants to keep them exclusive to this project or not.

DarkianMaker

I've been designing quite some of the interiors (although only the Garage has been implemented yet) and that was also just for this project in principle but just as Xir said it all depends on what bphilips decides.

On a side note, why don't you make the interiors yourself? Gives you more creative control of how you can implement them in your VRChat map and add functionality.

@AshiPaws I'm open to sharing the assets, as my goal is to eventually open-source this project. I can't share the exact models as they are represented in REDUX since the meshes are modified by the engine and contain combinations of the interior assets designed by @Xir and others, and modified objects cannot be exported without the use of third-party tools (or possibly writing the mesh data to files). However, as long as the original authors allow it, feel free to acquire the models from them and if-needed use their representation in REDUX as reference to how they should exist in VRChat. If you need information from me regarding representative scale or position for interiors compared to their exterior counterparts, let me know. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Xana Lyoko I fixed the bug reporting issue you had (where the game reacted to inputs received while typing a bug report). Regarding the music zones, I spent many hours picking the almost-exact locations for where they should change to another location's theme song, and I think the vast majority of them are within a few "inches" of how they were in the original game. If you have specific examples of areas where you think this is incorrect, I'd be happy to fix them. Regarding the elevator music, this isn't really a bug but something I did intentionally. I figured since the elevator music is technically something that would be always-playing, it should play over the soundtrack until a button is pressed. However, I've received a few complaints about this so I will likely end up changing it to behave in the same manner as the rest of the soundtrack. 

To the anonymous guy who reporting the issue with "DLLNotFoundException" regarding the discord-rpc.dll, I figured out that the bug lies with Discord themselves and exists in their public API. I've been able to replicate the bug by playing the 32-bit standalone version on a 64-bit installation of Windows with Discord both installed and not-installed. I might have a fix for this in the next release, as it's something I might be able to fix myself in the engine. Because this issue is technically game-breaking, I'm going to have a fix one way or another in the next day or so. 

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.