LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

No offense to Wognif, it looks brilliant, but I feel the loading screen is a bit creepy with the Informaniac talking about the LEGO Island series with...   ...that music playing.

Thats probably just me, but maybe you could change the music when the game starts loading. Something calming, something...

...I dunno. Anything, anything other than the Menu music.

bphillips09
8 hours ago, The Brickster said:

For some reason, when I spawn buildings and throw them into the ocean they end up on the race track disassembled. Is it the way they're supposed to behave?:)

Hmmm... yeah that's not supposed to happen, but I know why it's happening. I'll fix it for the next version.

5 hours ago, Wognif said:

Well, the steering of the car is very wonky, making it difficult to follow the roads. I fell into the ocean and respawned at the track like 3-4 times while trying to drive over to the Information Center. Also, is it supposed to shake a little upon entering/exiting a ramp?

Yeah I need to finish tweaking the steering. It's supposed to shake/wobble though depending on the angle.

5 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

No offense to Wognif, it looks brilliant, but I feel the loading screen is a bit creepy with the Informaniac talking about the LEGO Island series with...   ...that music playing.

Thats probably just me, but maybe you could change the music when the game starts loading. Something calming, something...

...I dunno. Anything, anything other than the Menu music.

You're right. I don't know what I should change it to though

Fluffy Cupcake
4 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

You're right. I don't know what I should change it to though

Title screen or Card track from:

https://soundcloud.com/lu9/sets/lego-island-2-gbc-remastered

?

Someone mentioned to me in the comments on one of my videos that this game should be made in Unreal Engine.

What did I say? It's not my decision, I'm not the programmer. :P

On 2016-03-16 at 8:27 PM, bphillips09 said:

v0.9

Island:

• You can walk on the base or jump inside the tower itself

And you can even jump inside the tower too! But wait, my head goes through the roof, oh...

(maybe fix this?)

;P

Suggestions for next update:

• Keep on improving plane and vehicle physics (also the plane respawns at the racetrack when it hits water like everything else, lol)
  • Make the pizza actually have some oomph, like, a lot more power to the toss so it doesn't act like you just barfed it up or it rolled out of your backpack (as it does when facing low angles or walking forward). Check pizza tossing on Island 2 and Xtreme Stunts to get an idea what it should be similar to.
  • Make the car accelerate faster at the start.

bphillips09
19 hours ago, Xiron said:

Someone mentioned to me in the comments on one of my videos that this game should be made in Unreal Engine.

What did I say? It's not my decision, I'm not the programmer. :P

Unity and Unreal can be very similar and very different. However, Unreal uses C++ and Unity uses C#, and I'm much better with C# than I am with C++. Also, we use Unity at my job which is why I'm relatively proficient in it. I think Unity has a lot to offer and more when it comes to a relatively simple game like this one, but Unreal would be the better choice for a AAA game or a game that needed better graphics or lighting. 

And you can even jump inside the tower too! But wait, my head goes through the roof, oh...

Whoops, gotta fix this...

Suggestions for next update:

• Keep on improving plane and vehicle physics (also the plane respawns at the racetrack when it hits water like everything else, lol)
  • Make the pizza actually have some oomph, like, a lot more power to the toss so it doesn't act like you just barfed it up or it rolled out of your backpack (as it does when facing low angles or walking forward). Check pizza tossing on Island 2 and Xtreme Stunts to get an idea what it should be similar to.
  • Make the car accelerate faster at the start.

These are all good suggestions. I'm hoping to have actual underwater terrain for the next update so hopefully that issue will sort itself out.

I'll check out the pizza throwing in the other games and see how I can improve it.

Also, it's weird because the car physics seemed a lot better when I was testing it compared to the v0.9 build so I'll have to see what happened there

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Well, I spent a bunch of time this week getting this blasted radio done and fixing all the issues I had with the holes in it (yes those black ovals aren't flat). I can say though that I have learned a few things this week from this.

Radio

And now for the final view of the room:

Info Main Room Done

The ceiling is a bit dark, but that's mainly due to indecent lighting.

The main things you may notice is that the door is a bit taller than it should be (although less studs than original) and the amount of studs on the blue walls between the wall map are much less as well, this is because I'm being more accurate then the game is itself and I'm not being as manipulative with the stud sizes.

I'm glad to finally be moving on to a different room now. :)

Criticism is still welcome.

bphillips09
1 hour ago, Xiron said:

Info Main Room Done

Woah this is awesome. I'm seriously very impressed. Did you do the elevator/third floor as well or just the first floor?

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

I still have the other 3 rooms (although it is kind of one room now...) on the 1st floor to do, but they shouldn't be as complicated to do. As well, it's a long weekend where I'm not busy, so I should have some time in there to get them done.

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Let's see what's knew at the info centre today.

Outside_View.png

Is that the score cube I see? Let's get a closer look!

Why, just look at that glorious score room! It's so beautiful I could almost cry. :cry:

Score_Room.png

Anyhow, I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed that the door we entered through wasn't around before. Let's go back and take a look.

Rotating doors, cool! We can have lots of fun going around in that!

Rotating_Door_Room.png

On a more serious note, this is what I've got new to show so far. The rotating doors room is still a WIP, and for the record those doors are 100% custom, it was too messy trying to merge 4 LEGO doors.

You may or may not have noticed that the ceiling is considerably low in the rotating doors room in comparison to the other two rooms you've seen. Why is that? Well, because I'm attempting to stay true to the original. I'm still working on the transitionals from low roof to higher roof, so I won't show any wider views for now.

Do you guys think I should add the arrow signs to the rooms? I didn't put them in because well, they will be rather pointless.

bphillips09
59 minutes ago, Xiron said:

You may or may not have noticed that the ceiling is considerably low in the rotating doors room in comparison to the other two rooms you've seen. Why is that? Well, because I'm attempting to stay true to the original. I'm still working on the transitionals from low roof to higher roof, so I won't show any wider views for now.

Do you guys think I should add the arrow signs to the rooms? I didn't put them in because well, they will be rather pointless.

This is incredible. I love the look and feel of it all. Where did you get the images for the score cube? I couldn't find any in the game's files that weren't super low-res.

Also, I don't think it needs the arrow signs anymore considering that they would be pointless, but it's your call

• Like 2

Dazzgracefulmoon
56 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

I think we should keep the 'click to turn' asthetic, and if not, it would be your call rather than Xiron's.

Wouldn't it be simple to make those both options? one is the modern and traditional WASD, the other is a myst-like control scheme.

• Like 2

bphillips09
1 hour ago, Dazzgracefulmoon said:

Wouldn't it be simple to make those both options? one is the modern and traditional WASD, the other is a myst-like control scheme.

I think he's talking about the interiors being orthographic. The current setup is the same as the original LEGO Island where you click the arrow posts to turn (to face the elevator/score cube/etc). But with Xiron's 3D models, it would be a perspective first-person setup where you can actually walk around the interiors and interact with objects and such.

As far as controls go, I'm considering adding the option to switch between FPS controls and original controls. However, if original controls were implemented, you'd lose the functionality to look up/down and also the functionality to look left or right without actually turning.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Xiron said:

I don't think we'll need those arrows anymore, however, I think they could be put in as a decoration, paying tribute to the original.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Xiron said:

pun?

2 hours ago, Wognif said:

I think they could be put in as a decoration, paying tribute to the original.

Maybe there could be a crate full of the old arrow signs sitting in the corner of the room or something as a call back?

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake
7 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

This is incredible. I love the look and feel of it all. Where did you get the images for the score cube? I couldn't find any in the game's files that weren't super low-res.

It was extracted using QuickBMS.

For the signs, so far I like Dazz and Yajmo's ideas the best.

Even if the original controls aren't implemented for the rest of the island, classic interior mode can still be a thing to enable & disable in the options. Perhaps there can be two states to the info centre, if you enter the centre while classic mode is activated, then they are there, if disabled then they would just be sitting in a box.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Perhaps there can be two states to the info centre, if you enter the centre while classic mode is activated, then they are there, if disabled then they would just be sitting in a box.

Ooh I love this. Obviously it'd be more work, but if bphillips is up for it then I think that's a great idea!

Dazzgracefulmoon
1 hour ago, Xiron said:

Perhaps there can be two states to the info centre, if you enter the centre while classic mode is activated, then they are there, if disabled then they would just be sitting in a box.

why not make it a "do not touch" sign on the box? :P

I am on a Mac and the config button on the menu just quits the application without saying it crashed or anything for that matter. Love what you have done though.

1 hour ago, Linkachu4 said:

...the config button on the menu just quits the application without saying it crashed or anything for that matter.

I have also encountered this problem, but I assume its because the window for visual and control settings was made to be compatible with Windows OS, and only Windows.

It isn't a big issue, at least not for me, since the game still runs a-okay on my Mac, but the inability to make configurations to the game's settings is a bit bugging.

bphillips09
17 hours ago, Linkachu4 said:

I am on a Mac and the config button on the menu just quits the application without saying it crashed or anything for that matter. Love what you have done though.

16 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

I have also encountered this problem, but I assume its because the window for visual and control settings was made to be compatible with Windows OS, and only Windows.

It isn't a big issue, at least not for me, since the game still runs a-okay on my Mac, but the inability to make configurations to the game's settings is a bit bugging.

Sorry! I'm aware of this and know how to fix it.

For now, the config menu can be brought up using a couple alternative methods. On windows, you can hold the SHIFT key while launching the game. On Mac, I think it's the OPTION/ALT key. You can also run the game from a command line and pass the argument "-show-screen-selector" to bring up the config menu.

It's Unity's standard config menu that normally can't be opened in-game which is why most developers make their own config/controls/settings menu. I haven't made one yet though but it's on the to-do list. The way I'm doing it in the game is by opening the game in a new window with the "-show-screen-selector" argument and quitting the first instance of the running task. The reason it doesn't work on Mac is that the game's executable is actually in a different folder than what I had programmed initially. On windows, it's the .exe. On Mac, however, it's inside the actual application in the Contents/MacOS folder. Since Unity considers the Contents folder the dataPath on Mac, I incorrectly figured that I could change to the root directory and run parameters from there, and simply forgot to test that when I did the first Mac build.

On 3/28/2016 at 2:28 PM, LimeKiller said:

Ooh I love this. Obviously it'd be more work, but if bphillips is up for it then I think that's a great idea!

I don't think it'll be too much work since the 2D interiors are already finished. I also think it's a great idea and definitely something I want to implement.

On 3/28/2016 at 4:55 AM, Xiron said:

The rotating doors room is still a WIP, and for the record those doors are 100% custom, it was too messy trying to merge 4 LEGO doors.

I noticed that there's no rotating door on the exterior of the Infocenter in the original game. Is it possible to modify that object and add it?

Fluffy Cupcake

I noticed that too, yeah I can modify it.

Edit: Am I on the right track? I think the door should probably be more internal though.

Info_Ext_Rotating.png

Fluffy Cupcake

That's another point, the windows that go next to the doors will be missing (or rather larger but on the wrong walls), but otherwise yes.

Just thought I would make an icon for the game. I hope this will work for you and sorry if it doesn't.:satisfied:

The image isn't going to work.

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username featured this topic
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.