LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

Fluffy Cupcake

To be honest I was kind of hoping I could spawn in buildings (and to the side extent trees) as well. :P

Bug reports:

Console seems to break for the rest of the game on returning to the info center. (It opens as a one line console, and you can type in it, but it is non-functional).

I just was noticing the shadows aren't working on the grass or gravel paths for some reason.

I found another bug in addition to the ones @Xiron mentioned:

MOTOLA seems to not have any collisions. Spawning it causes it to fall clean through the island.

Edit: So does Car.

bphillips09
2 hours ago, Terrev said:

Are you using color correction? I can't tell, but if you aren't, give it a shot - try slapping the ColorCorrectionCurves script onto the camera. Unity 5's default lighting settings tend to give a slightly washed out white-grey look to things and that's a quick and dirty way to "fix" it.

I'm not using any color correction, but I am using contrast enhancement

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

To be honest I was kind of hoping I could spawn in buildings (and to the side extent trees) as well. :P

Bug reports:

Console seems to break for the rest of the game on returning to the info center. (It opens as a one line console, and you can type in it, but it is non-functional).

I just was noticing the shadows aren't working on the grass or gravel paths for some reason.

I might make it possible to spawn tiny versions of the available buildings. Better yet, I might use Wognif's models so it looks like little lego sets!

I fixed the issue with the console for v0.8. I'm currently looking into the shadow issue, but the texture has the same property as the road texture so I'm not sure what the issue is.

2 hours ago, Wognif said:

I found another bug in addition to the ones @Xiron mentioned:

MOTOLA seems to not have any collisions. Spawning it causes it to fall clean through the island.

Edit: So does Car.

Fixing that now for v0.8. I think I'm going to rename all the objects to something easier to use. Right now the names are the same as when they were originally extracted from the game, but some are weird (like "firetruK").

7 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

I might make it possible to spawn tiny versions of the available buildings. Better yet, I might use Wognif's models so it looks like little lego sets!

YES! That would be very cool.

bphillips09
5 hours ago, Xiron said:

The airplane was just too fun, so I made another video.

This is something I'd like to see more of, expanding on the already existing basic ideas.

Did you try holding the spacebar after launching one? :) 

45 minutes ago, Wognif said:

YES! That would be very cool.

I found a project on here that contained the LDD files as Obj files. I'll try to find the link again, but I'm guessing these are yours? Here's a screenshot of one:

oVuxrVV.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

I found a project on here that contained the LDD files as Obj files. I'll try to find the link again, but I'm guessing these are yours? Here's a screenshot of one: -snip-

While I don't remember uploading the models converted into Obj (I only remember posting them in their LDD form), that Information Center does in fact resemble my LDD file of it.

Fluffy Cupcake
39 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Nope! But I have now, and it's cool. :D

I'll be sure to include a snippet if I end up doing another video.

1 hour ago, bphillips09 said:

Right now the names are the same as when they were originally extracted from the game, but some are weird (like "firetruK").

I partially like the techie feel of the original names. :B

Though I suppose using more simple names might make the thing one is looking for easier to locate (unless one has the list semi-memorized from overuse, then it doesn't make a difference).

bphillips09
20 minutes ago, Xiron said:

I partially like the techie feel of the original names. :B

Though I suppose using more simple names might make the thing one is looking for easier to locate (unless one has the list semi-memorized from overuse, then it doesn't make a difference).

Too late! I think it's better this way so you know exactly what the object is

HsKnVND.png

EDIT: Those buildings/building names are just temporary

I do have a feature request, but its not of very high priority and might be best putting off until the other vehicles are finished.

Make the truck that normally appears in the gas station able to be driven.

That's one thing that in the original I always wondered why I couldn't use while npcs are able to use it in animations.

Sure, it will require a custom interface for it, but that's why I thought it would be best doable when other vehicles are finished.

bphillips09
8 minutes ago, Wognif said:

I do have a feature request, but its not of very high priority and might be best putting off until the other vehicles are finished.

Make the truck that normally appears in the gas station able to be driven.

That's one thing that in the original I always wondered why I couldn't use while npcs are able to use it in animations.

Sure, it will require a custom interface for it, but that's why I thought it would be best doable when other vehicles are finished.

Unfortunately, that's one of the objects that current can't be extracted from the original game, so I don't have the ability to do that yet. 

15 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Unfortunately, that's one of the objects that current can't be extracted from the original game, so I don't have the ability to do that yet. 

That's not what I meant, I meant the one that I said earlier kept falling through the island when I tested spawning it. (the one that was called Car)

Which you also had placed among all the other stuff at the racetrack.

EDIT:
This thing, which is sitting behind the buoy as well:

large.Untitled.png.567c459f52ac2f366d5de

bphillips09

I made a "spawn too much" command :)

fIvfVbm.jpg

Also, any particular requests for v0.8? Right now I'm working on:

Console bugs
Spawned object colliders
Working jukebox (possibly radio too)
Change the sky color/brightness on the observation deck
Ability to spawn plants and miniature buildings
Ability to teleport to certain areas

• Like 3

bphillips09
1 minute ago, Xiron said:

Oh, so we're playing litter island now. Okay.

If only picking up trash was as easy as typing "destroy all" :P 

Fluffy Cupcake

Hmm, on the subject of spawning much, can you add a number variable to the spawn command? So like "spawn Bike 10" for 10 bikes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

I made a "spawn too much" command :)

-snip-

Also, any particular requests for v0.8? Right now I'm working on:

Console bugs
Spawned object colliders
Working jukebox (possibly radio too)
Change the sky color/brightness on the observation deck
Ability to spawn plants and miniature buildings
Ability to teleport to certain areas

That's more chaos than I ever cause on the island in one sitting. That makes it even more fun >:D

As for v0.8 feature requests, I'll have to think about that. I'm supposed working on transcribing some lab homework right now as I have class in the morning.

Fluffy Cupcake

I can actually see the sky changer something you can expand on a bit in the future, especially if you add in the sun angle/position that the original had. Then maybe now we can have a night time for once. :P

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing a minifig AI walk around the island to make it a bit less lonely, but first you'd need a model for that, and of course a walk animation.

bphillips09
1 hour ago, Xiron said:

I can actually see the sky changer something you can expand on a bit in the future, especially if you add in the sun angle/position that the original had. Then maybe now we can have a night time for once. :P

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing a minifig AI walk around the island to make it a bit less lonely, but first you'd need a model for that, and of course a walk animation.

Nighttime would be awesome. Especially using Unity's lighting capabilities for things like streetlights and lamp posts

Fluffy Cupcake

I was going to mention the street lamp, but I didn't want to make the work of night sound too intimidating off the bat. :P

But now that you mentioned it, yes I would definitely love to see that.

Lind Whisperer
1 hour ago, bphillips09 said:

Nighttime would be awesome. Especially using Unity's lighting capabilities for things like streetlights and lamp posts

YES, Nighttime+streetlights.

Also, I'd love to see that "Spawn too much" as an actual spawn option.

bphillips09
47 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

YES, Nighttime+streetlights.

I'll try to work on that for v0.9. I'm almost done with v0.8.

47 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

Also, I'd love to see that "Spawn too much" as an actual spawn option.

It already is :)

void SpawnTooMuch() {
	if (spawnLimit < 20) {
		spawnLimit++;
		for (int i = 0; i < spawnableAssets.transform.childCount; i++) {
			Spawn (spawnableAssets.transform.GetChild (i).name.Substring (0, spawnableAssets.transform.GetChild (i).name.Length - 5));
		}
		for (int i = 0; i < plants.transform.childCount; i++) {
			Spawn (plants.transform.GetChild (i).name.Substring (0, plants.transform.GetChild (i).name.Length - 5));
		}
		for (int i = 0; i < bldgs.transform.childCount; i++) {
			Spawn (bldgs.transform.GetChild (i).name);
		}
	} else {
		CancelInvoke();
		spawnLimit = 0;
	}
}

The only issue is that since all the objects have rigidbody components, unless you have a really beefy CPU it will take 2-3 seconds from when you spawn all the objects to do the physics calculations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone who knows about 3d modelling know if it's possible to remove the water mesh from the Island OBJ without messing up the material order? I tried removing the water face in Meshlab but when I reimported it back into Unity all the materials were assigned to the wrong objects. If I manually edit the MTL file and remove the WATER2X entry, everything gets even more screwed up. I ended up having to revert to a backup yesterday because I would have had to go in and manually assign each material again.

bphillips09
11 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

I feel like "Lego Island REDUX" is kind of off, as it is not really a redux, but an engine port and also not really styled. I would prefer something like "LEGO Island Recreated" (LEGO in capitals and the endword not in capitals), but what do you think?

That's really just a working title. I was originally thinking something like "LEGO Island v2" but I figured it would get confused with LEGO Island 2.

Maybe "LEGO Island HD"?

43 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

I still volunteer as a programmer. It's Easter break in Germany so I got time. ;)

Hmm... do you know C# or UnityScript?

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username featured this topic
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.