I can't believe LDD is freaking dead

emily

I remember the "Future of LDD" thread on eurobricks with all the speculation, if TLC will release an update or not (and that was going on for many months or even a year).

Now we know it :/

Personally I don't use LDD that often (since I rarely do something with LEGO bricks), but for all my digital builds I mainly use this program since other ones have more complicated (but more precise) controls (that includes stuff like MLCAD, LeoCAD, Mecabricks etc.). I only used other programs, when LDD couldn't support the project size (like the 1:1 L.M.S. Explorer) or when I had to export a MOC to other CAD programs to make renders (although with bluerender I have found a program, that makes good* renders with lxf files).

*of course there are better options out there, but the results are okay and it is pretty fast

edit: some people mentioned on brickset (or was it eurobrick), that TLC could see how many people used LDD since they had to download the part updates (just count, how often it was downloaded). That probably means, that in their eyes it had a decreasing relevance.

Anyway (maybe it is just a stupid thought^^), but imagine, if people would take down (or make them invisible for a while) all the pictures from digital or physical MOCs on the internet for a while for which they used LDD to some extent (as some sort of protest).

Well then...

:E   :E          :E   :E   :E      :E   :E

:E       :E             :E            :E       :E

:E   :E                 :E            :E   :E

:E       :E             :E            :E

:E       :E      :E   :E   :E      :E

Uh oh, Alcom's gonna be coming with his Frame-of-View (I think?) rants.... I'd better get out of here before much happens.

I can't say I'll miss it. I never tended to build much in LDD, but that's largely because I have such a stash of Lego bricks and I find it easier to build with real bits of plastic.

How's this gonna work with the LDD -> LW (and vice versa) feature?

Damn... and LDraw isn't really an alternative because the interfaces for the programs that use it are ridiculous, not to mention its brick database is heavily dated (much more so than LDD).

I guess the final boss has been defeated at last ;P

But now to be serious: I'm quite disappointed. I didn't care much for LDD in its early days, but it really improved once the LU/Extended theme was introduced. Since I'm too impatient to work with any of the CAD programs, LDD was the only tool I could use to plan creations in advance. Before this news came, I was hoping for a while that a future update would include more classic parts and colors :(

So the options were a new(er) official LEGO CAD design program with mostly new parts and an older fan-made LEGO CAD design program with mostly old parts but still missing many old parts (where are the Rock Raider Rollcages, huh?).

And now the options are a dead official LEGO CAD design program with mostly new (but soon to be outdated) parts and an older fan-made LEGO CAD design program with mostly old parts but still missing many old parts.

Should I find it funny that its the Fan-made version is the one that still thrives, despite its not-so-user-friendly interface and controls?

Looks like one of the TLG Ambassadors saw everyone running around like headless chickens and issued an additional statement to try and calm us down. Unfortunately it's really bloody vague and I don't know what to make of it:

I hope this will help clarify a bit of the confusion and misunderstanding from our end regarding LDD. TLG will remain committed to digital building going forward, in regards to LDD, this means that we will continue to support the current functionality. 

We will not be doing automatic updates on elements, however elements will continue to be added from time to time. Unfortunately we cannot ensure that all elements are made available. I can see that the message has spread widely in the community since our original statement and I hope that you will assist us in spreading this message as well. Thank you!

So... they're gonna add elements, but not add elements? Um?

Basically I think they are saying that we can't expect them to add all the stuff from a given year anymore? I guess that'll cover their butts as far as getting stuff in that Lego Movie/Worlds people need.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Still waiting for that Lego Technic Pull Back motor...

6024100.jpg

I still use LDD, if we had parts that I would like, (Like that pull back motor), I would be happy. But still, TLG have to move on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.