Good Alternatives to Fraps?

Mr. Ash

I normally use Fraps to record gameplay, but I'm unable to use it in Firefox since Windows 10 doesn't support Monitor Aero Desktop (DWM). I'm considering downgrading to 8.1, but I'm researching to see what else is out there before I do so. Basically, I want to find something that captures well, works in browsers and doesn't display a watermark. So far, the only one I was convinced with was CamStudio. Unfortunately, it didn't impress me - I constantly ran into problems. I also have seen LoiLo Game Recorder mentioned frequently, although I'm a little reluctant to download it.

Any suggestions here would be highly appreciated!

I use DXTory and I've had no problems with it on Windows 10. Only downsides are that it doesn't capture your desktop and if you don't purchase a license it puts a sizable watermark on the edge of the screen. At $35 it's a bit pricey for casual use but affordable for people who need something more than just CamStudio or Hypercam - and last time I checked it's cheaper than FRAPS.

Fluffy Cupcake
4 hours ago, Phoenyx said:

At $35 it's a bit pricey for casual use but affordable for people who need something more than just CamStudio or Hypercam - and last time I checked it's cheaper than FRAPS.

By like, $2. :P

I've been using Fraps (paid) for a while now, have had almost no problems with it, aside from the not recording desktop on W10. I believe even if you aren't a livestreamer, you can still record your desktop/games using Open Broadcaster Software (free). I believe I have once already on W10 before.

9 hours ago, Xiron said:

By like, $2. :P

I've been using Fraps (paid) for a while now, have had almost no problems with it, aside from the not recording desktop on W10. I believe even if you aren't a livestreamer, you can still record your desktop/games using Open Broadcaster Software (free). I believe I have once already on W10 before.

Yes, you can record Desktop/Games/Webcams just like any other programs with OBS.

The Ace Railgun

I just use my included QuickTime recording application, though I don't know if PCs can use it as well, it may be Mac only.

Hypercam 2 is working great, but OBS looks promising too - I'm going to test it out later. Anyhow, thanks to everyone for posting here! I'll be able to do some more playthroughs now, starting with Dreamz!

I've dealt with this so many times I'll just give you the short list.

Camtasia (lol) > OBS MP > OBS > Fraps ~= DXTory > CamStudio > Hypercam 2.

Hypercam is a piece of utter junk. I've had more recordings ruined by it than any other software. CamStudio 2.7 is decent once you can get it configured and if it supports your game. Fraps only records DWM on Windows 7 (not to mention Win10 > Win8(.1)) so don't bother with that. Never used DXTory, hence the "approximately equal to" status. OBS is really good and the beta, soon-to-be-the-only OBS MP is rock solid and very good. Obviously if you have the money Camtasia is the software to beat. Never heard of LoiLo.

There are other applications I could list but I won't waste your time with them. ;)

22 hours ago, The Ace Railgun said:

I just use my included QuickTime recording application, though I don't know if PCs can use it as well, it may be Mac only.

That might be possible on Windows with QuickTime Pro. Not worth wasting money on to find out.

• 2 years later...
Noob Slayer

I tried to use OBS to record LR1. It recorded the sound fine, but the only video captured was a blank black screen. I also tried Bandicam, but the game's video wouldn't even show up at all - completely black even in-game while I was playing.

• 5 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.