Sign in to follow this  
Jessietail

Mega-Mole v4

Jessietail

1-MegaMole.png

The fourth and hopefully final iteration of my giant drilling vehicle. Now more streamlined than ever before, and hopefully with a better color scheme than the old Rock Raiders color scheme. Admittedly, it might be harder to see in dark caverns, but I guess that's not a bad thing considering the wildlife of that planet - though if anyone really wants me to redo it with a better color scheme, just make a suggestion and I'll see what I can do! It doesn't have to be Rock Raiders-related at all, considering how far the story for these things has evolved past being vanilla Rock Raiders, as long as it doesn't look ugly like bright orange and lime green.

Front:

Spoiler

front.png

front-top.png

Still using the Thunder Driller drill for this thing, but now the inner part has been colored silver, since there's a silver-ish version of this piece in some new Batman set or something.

Side:

Spoiler

side.png

overhead.png

Same Chrome Crusher chassis. It's pretty much the same design as the third version that I made an LDD model of, just rebuilt to look nicer. 

Rear:

Spoiler

rear.png

rear-perspective.png

The rear end is one of the biggest changes - the old ramp/door construct is gone completely, opting for an armored transparent window lifted from the old "Chrome Crucher [sic]" concept art. Yeah, you know the one. I'd link it if the wiki weren't bogged down with spam bots right now.

Cockpit:

Spoiler

hatch-off.png

pilot.png

pilot-exit.png

The cockpit window is only attached by four studs on the very end. In a real-life version of this model, it could be removed easily. There's also a ladder on the back for the driver to climb down. I have no idea how he'd get through the window in a real version of this vehicle, but I also don't know how they climbed up to the top of the Granite Grinder in the original series, so I'm not too concerned about that.

There's also a window in there now, so that the driver can view the engine to make sure it doesn't explode, because that's how powerful this thing is. I guess it also has a projection that shows a camera view of what's in front of them since they can't see around that huge drill, and also a radar scan of the rocks around them, to get a good reading of whether or not the wall they're about to drill is full of crystals or lava.

Engine:

Spoiler

motor.png

motor-full.png

I build an engine inside the vehicle because I wanted it to have one like how the Chrome Crusher had one. It's mostly just for show.

Comparison with the Chrome Crusher:

Spoiler

v4-comparison2.png

v4-comparison3.png

v4-comparison4.png

I honestly don't remember who made the Chrome Crusher model, just that it was someone from Eurobricks, and now PeabodySam's gonna get mad at me for not giving credit sorry

Anyway basically the Chrome Crusher is longer and taller, but it's also flimsier and really front-heavy. The Mega-Mole is much more compact and impenetrable, plus it doesn't have a DRILL ON THE SIDE OF THE VEHICLE seriously who thought that was a good idea. The Chrome Crusher honestly should have had a weaker drill than the Granite Grinder and a weaker laser than the LMLC, but also a radar and a big cargo hold. Basically an all-purpose vehicle: Not the best at anything, but can do everything. Instead we got an overpowered ugly turd.

So hey, I may be a complete loser, but at least I'm a better set designer than the people who made Rock Raiders.

I made this a while back but never posted it, since I haven't really been back until now. I'm honestly kinda happy with how it turned out. No download link this time because I'm not sure whether I should keep it proprietary, or if anyone really wants it. If people do then I'll upload one. Also sorry for using bricksafe, brickshelf decided that it wouldn't accept my password and wouldn't send me an email reminding me what my password was. Considering that majhost has been down for the last year, I think it's safe to say that site is dying.

v4-comparison1.png

Edited by Slimy Slug
Reuploaded images on RRU hosting

Pereki

Oh yeah, I remember you posting an earlier version of this way back when.

Interesting fusion of Rock Raiders and Power Miners. The enclosed cockpit here makes a lot more sense than whatever the hell was going on with the Thunder Driller's back.

And of course, teal is always a Good Thing. Pretty neat!

aidenpons

I haven't been following its various versions... but it looks good. The ladder thingy on the back of the cockpit is an acceptable substitute for a rollcage, and probably actually better protection.

Have you tried putting a 1x1x1 silver cone on the very front of the drill?

Jessietail

Have you tried putting a 1x1x1 silver cone on the very front of the drill?

I tried; I didn't think it looked very good. Considering that most uses of this drill have that stud on the front, and the original Rock Raiders drill ended with a stud instead of a point too, I thought it just looked more fitting like that.