Scrapped LEGO Racers Game (2009)

ProfessorBrickkeeper

ProfessorBrickkeeper

As some of you may remember, back in 2009, prior to the merge of multiple games into LEGO Battles, one of the games features on the boxes was LEGO Racers: The Video Game. This evening, while I was scavenging around the wastelands that are the internet, I came across the Behance portfolio of Donald Robertson, who had posted a collection of concept models and art from the game. (The full collection can be seen HERE.)

Spoiler

d060c910575083.560e73c745557.jpg

1c787f10575083.560e72ec268b1.jpg

d9210610575083.560e7304d04fe.jpg

After some more research and poking around his profile, it was discovered that he worked at Firebrand Games at the time, a company which specialized in racing games for the Nintendo DS. From here, someone managed to locate his website, which housed not only copies of the images and videos linked above, but early, in-game screenshots from the game, which we have never seen before.

Spoiler

screenshot_003.jpg

screenshot_001.jpg

All in all, seeing as this is all stuff nobody has seen before, I thought it was important to bring this to people's attention.

(Also, while people were following up on this tuff in the RRU Skype chat, somebody found http://project0.wix.com/comes-to-life, which belongs to Sergey Grey, on of the leads on the scrapped LEGO Racers game, who coincidentally ended up moving over to NetDevil later that year, to work on LEGO Universe.)

• Like 12

I love how this stuff has been around for two years and nobody ever noticed it. Hah. Good, a long standing mystery finally resolved.

BTW, for those who haven't seen it, here's the ad that was on set boxes. Until now, it was the only thing we knew about this.

So tl;dr for this topic: Firebrand Games was working on "LEGO Racers: The Video Game", it was for Nintendo DS, and was never released.

• Like 3

Quisoves Potoo

Wow. Good work, Prof!

The revelation that this was being made for the DS, combined with the fact that the interlinked Space, Castle, and Pirates games were consolidated into Battles, suggests that something caused LEGO to reappraise the market for either DS games or games based-off non-licensed themes. 

• Like 1

But the resolution is way too high for the DS' screen. It's 256x192 (x2) and not 640x456.

Who says it's running on an actual DS...?

Fluffy Cupcake

Good find, good find. Now someone needs to email one or both of the guys for additional info. :P

As some of you may remember, back in 2009

No recollection of this at all. =P

• Like 1

Good find, good find. Now someone needs to email one or both of the guys for additional info. :P

As some of you may remember, back in 2009

I'm pretty sure ProfessorBrickkeeper is already trying to contact them - unless I'm mistaken, nobody else needs to, it'd just be redundant and bother them.

(Hey, remember that time a bunch of people on BZPower started emailing developers of that canceled Bionicle game and drove them away? Yeah, let's not have that happen here. If anything we should just compile questions here in this topic, and then just have one person - presumably Prof - send them.)

• Like 4

Fluffy Cupcake

(Hey, remember that time a bunch of people on BZPower started emailing developers)

Applies to this too. =P I know nothing of BZPower.

Anyhow, I of course wouldn't do it if someone else was.

• Like 1

MaelstromIslander

I'm pretty sure ProfessorBrickkeeper is already trying to contact them - unless I'm mistaken, nobody else needs to, it'd just be redundant and bother them.

Well, if he is, he'll hopefully ask if Rocket Racer would have returned (Its a longshot, and LEGO Racers 1 & 2 were long ago, but hey...)

• Like 1

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Well, if he is, he'll hopefully ask if Rocket Racer would have returned (Its a longshot, and LEGO Racers 1 & 2 were long ago, but hey...)

No. :)

• Like 3

(Hey, remember that time a bunch of people on BZPower started emailing developers of that canceled Bionicle game and drove them away? Yeah, let's not have that happen here. If anything we should just compile questions here in this topic, and then just have one person - presumably Prof - send them.)

This didn't just happen once. It happened again. and again. and again. Ultimately it happened to someone who literally had the game and was willing to put it online

thanks, bionicle fans

• Like 4

I just assumed this was another of those 'hi i found this box advertisement which says LEGO racers game what happened to that' posts.

Boy, I'm glad it wasn't. :P

Cool stuff.

• Like 1

• lol username featured this topic
  • lol username unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...

I was looking at these screenshots again, and got to thinking... Man, even besides the resolution thing, and despite the dev plainly stating "This was for Nintendo DS"... This does not look like a DS game. Just look at any other LEGO DS game. There's no comparison.

It does, however, look more like a Wii game. And the screenshots are 640x456... I know little about the Wii, but a quick google search revealed this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-mode-overscan-issue.340460/#post-4515450

The Wii's full graphical output is about 672x480, of which only 640x456 are active in most games.

So. Perhaps a DS version existed too, but this stuff we've seen is almost certainly of a Wii game.

Unfortunately, when the developer who posted these renders and screenshots was asked about them some years back, he didn't answer, and removed both the Blogspot and Behance posts. The contents were archived, so nothing was lost, but it's clear he doesn't want to be contacted about it.

Honestly though, I'm not interested in trying to hunt down more info on it. Looking at the screenshots we have, what Firebrand's other games are like, and comparing that to the original LEGO Racers games... I just can't see it following in their footsteps.

Also, I'm not sure the Firebrand guy who went on to work on LU at NetDevil was involved in this game. Firebrand has four studios (Glasgow, Scotland, Florida, and Louisiana), and the person who posted the screenshots was in the UK (presumably the Glasgow studio). The person who went on to NetDevil was in Florida. And as far as I know, there's no official source anywhere saying he worked on LEGO Racers The Video Game, it was just assumed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.