LEGO Nexo Knights

emily

It's officially official!

Nexo Knights follows in the footsteps of Ninjago and Chima as LEGO's next big story theme. Right now it looks like a fusion of Knights' Kingdom and the 2007 Castle line, cybernetically enhanced to fight lava demons with giant, sharp cars that are also sometimes castles.

There's a TV show coming next year. Will this be a new Ninjago, or will it ride out its welcome comparatively quickly like Chima?

Source:
Brickset

MaelstromIslander

My first thought upon entering this topic:

OH NO NOT ANOTHER ONE

Considering chima and ninjago are terrible this will probably terrible as well. BUT HEY, maybe LEGO can actually do something right for once... Or not...

I might get some sets and stuff, but there's no way I'm going to watch the TV show until I get enough information on whether its good or not.

Because when I had no one to tell me what show was good and what wasn't, I was mentally scarred by The Super Mario Show the abominations that were the Chima and Ninjago TV shows. Was Ninjago good at first? Yeah, it was okay, but over time it got... Bad. And I blame the lego message boards kids for it. And Chima was basically a continuation of that bad taste and it got even worse.

So for all we know, this might be far worse than Chima, be that "okay" Ninjago originally was, or be better than Ninjago. Who knows? All we can do now is assume and hope for the best.

The possibility of a TV Series makes me curious about what the characters will sound like...

Will they sound like Knights? (e.g. "A lone knight will neigh cross the bridge of Sir Knight James Luke the one hundred and eightieth")

Will they sound simple? (e.g. "You may not cross this bridge")

...or will it be worse? (e.g. "You, sir knight, may not cross your hunk of banter over my dead body, and hence, over the bridge of Sir James Luke the ghauigonajgiosngjriosngrjiseongjisongjiaognjiwo...")

There's a TV show coming next year. Will this be a new Ninjago, or will it ride out its welcome comparatively quickly like Chima?

Eh. Probably the latter. Ninjago's longevity was something even Lego didn't expect. I don't think i's likely to see it replicated. But who knows, as long as it gets a proper third year it'll already be better than Chima.

Edited by Pranciblad

Dazzgracefulmoon

The poster reminds me of LU A bit, but I do like the designs of the figures so far, particularly the jester looks pretty cool. I'm probably not gonna bother with the TV Series either but I'm definitely gonna get a set or two, for sure.

Quisoves Potoo

The possibility of a TV Series makes me curious about what the characters will sound like...

Will they sound like Knights? (e.g. "A lone knight will neigh cross the bridge of Sir Knight James Luke the one hundred and eightieth")

Will they sound simple? (e.g. "You may not cross this bridge")

Surely you, as a Scot, should know that the word is spelled "nay," and is generally associated with Scotland, as opposed to Medieval knights? =P

If LEGO wants to have them speak like actual knights of the Middle Ages, it should have them speak in Latin. =P

Revealed at NYCC!

22011933806_a2b1496752_c.jpg

21415303934_848e4e18eb_c.jpg

21415307954_29070d8cb7_c.jpg21416973873_9e7f1ccda4_c.jpg21849946650_ac0129be0b_c.jpg

LEGO® NEXO KNIGHTS™ Catapults Into Action

NEW YORK, Oct. 8, 2015
The LEGO Group today announced LEGO® NEXO KNIGHTS,™ a new, original LEGO property depicting a medieval kingdom set in a futuristic world where five young, brave knights “download” special powers to their shields in order to battle the royal court’s evil Jestro and a cast of monsters to restore peace. The story comes to life through LEGO building sets, an episodic television and a digital gaming app that fuels story-driven gameplay. The property launches later this year, with products available starting January 1, 2016. LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS characters, story, app experience and two iconic building sets from the collection will be previewed to New York Comic Con attendees, Thursday, October 8 through Sunday, October 11 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.

“Inspired by insights to meet the emerging needs of today’s kids, LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS juxtaposes a timeless world of medieval knights with a futuristic twist in a captivating story that invites children to explore LEGO play in a whole new way,” said Casper Thingholm of the LEGO Group. “LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS offers children the rewarding building experiences they know and love, amplified by digital enhancements that merge what today’s kids love: self-expression, strong characters, deep content-driven story and digital gaming.”

Story 
Set in the futuristic, high-tech world of the Kingdom of Knighton, LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS follows five young knights in their quest to battle Jestro, his sidekick, the Book of Monsters, and their Lava Monster Army. Heroic knight, Clay Moorington, leads the band of knights, including alpha superstar Lance Richmond, hipster Aaron Fox, Macy Halbert, a princess who would rather be a knight, and Axl, the giant. Together, under the tutelage of Knights’ Academy mentor and Great Digital Wizard, Merlok 2.0, they join forces to defeat the enemy.

Building Sets and Consumer Products 
Fourteen richly detailed building sets will be available in January 2016, ranging in price from $9.99 to $99.99. Additional building sets will launch in August 2016. The first two sets are being revealed at New York Comic Con. Consumer products partners across key categories are also engaged in creating a merchandise program dedicated to LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS, such as publishing and soft goods.

LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS: MERLOK 2.0 App
To extend the story and increase playing fun, more than 150 unique LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS powers – represented as shields – have been scattered across the kingdom of Knighton. The powers can be found in building sets, online, in print and directly in the television content. Existing in both physical and digital form, children can discover, scan and collect varied powers using the LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS: MERLOK 2.0 app. Once added to a digital power collection, children can creatively and continuously find new ways to join the knights to defeat the enemy, in their gaming experience.
Available in late December 2015, the LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS: MERLOK 2.0 app will be available as a free download via App Store, Google Play, Samsung Apps and Amazon Appstore.

Television Series
LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS, a 20-episode, animated adventure comedy series, will debut on select global broadcast television networks as soon as late December 2015 and air throughout 2016. The core means by which children follow the story and get to know the characters, the series follows the constant adventures of LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS heroes and villains. Children will also be able to scan new LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS powers directly from their content viewing screen into their app games, further connecting their play experience.

Also a trailer (or two):

And a teaser website!

So yeah, this is a thing now.

Um.

• Like 1

As with Ninjago and Chima, sets range from 'okay' to 'pretty neat' while the story makes me want to curl in a ball on the floor and cry.

LANCE!!!!! HES COOL CAUSE HE HAS BIG BIKE AND WINS THE WOMEN WHICH ARE OBJECTS TO BE FOUGHT OVER

MACY!!!!! SHES A PRINCESS BUT DONT WORRY WE ARE BEING SUBVERSIVE AND NOT BAD BECAUSE SHE IS ALSO OF FIGHTS AND DOESNT AFRAID OF ANYTHING

It looks like the generic knights are the soldiers from the original yellow castle? That's fair, but why is one of the good guys a Black Falcon? Also, really, really turned off by the WE HAVE TECHNOLOGY, THAT MAKES US SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU STUPID NOT TECHNOLOGY HAVERS thing going on in the character vids. Like, really?

In sum, "I don't know what I expected"

EDIT:

“Inspired by insights to meet the emerging needs of today’s kids, LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS juxtaposes a timeless world of medieval knights with a futuristic twist in a captivating story that invites children to explore LEGO play in a whole new way,” said Casper Thingholm of the LEGO Group. “LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS offers children the rewarding building experiences they know and love, amplified by digital enhancements that merge what today’s kids love: self-expression, strong characters, deep content-driven story and digital gaming.”

This is so right. How can the outcome be so wrong

Edited by Pereki
  • Like 2

For some reason the paragraph about the Merlok 2.0 App reminded me of something. Let's see:

more than 150 unique things, collectable (physical and digital), television, scattered around a region, defeating enemies

Yep, sounds like Pokemon all over again (back in days, when there existed only 151).

Edited by Arthuriel

Quisoves Potoo

As with Ninjago and Chima, sets range from 'okay' to 'pretty neat' while the story makes me want to curl in a ball on the floor and cry.

LANCE!!!!! HES COOL CAUSE HE HAS BIG BIKE AND WINS THE WOMEN WHICH ARE OBJECTS TO BE FOUGHT OVER

If I know my cliches, this isn't the message that will be sent. Rather, he'll start out as a shallow, unlikable, skirt-chasing jock, who in time is taught compassion, empathy, and common decency by his friends (mind, I have known this to happen in real-life.) I could be totally wrong, but such a character simply isn't an audience identification figure, unless your audience consists of a bunch of alpha-male jocks.

MACY!!!!! SHES A PRINCESS BUT DONT WORRY WE ARE BEING SUBVERSIVE AND NOT BAD BECAUSE SHE IS ALSO OF FIGHTS AND DOESNT AFRAID OF ANYTHING

Ah yes, the generic tomboy. A tiresome trope, though by the same token, I'm not sure if the average target-audience-age boy can be counted upon to appreciate a more nuanced, less macho, female hero.

Also, really, really turned off by the WE HAVE TECHNOLOGY, THAT MAKES US SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU STUPID NOT TECHNOLOGY HAVERS thing going on in the character vids. Like, really?

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that's what was being aimed for. Rather, I think the point was merely to emphasize the juxtaposition of the Chivalrous Days of Yore with futuristic, post-industrial technology. It leads to some troubling conclusions, granted, but I don't think it was meant to be condescending.

EDIT: For my part, I'll just try to ignore the story, as I have for Ninjago, Hero Factory, Chima, etc. The sets look interesting, and that's what matters for me.

EDIT 2: I do admit to being annoyed by the lack of creative-world-building. LEGO seems to have taken a far too obvious route. Downloadable powers! Robot Merlin! Sigh. There's so much more that one could do with the premise. Instead, it rather seems to cheapen both genres.

Edited by Quisoves Potoo
  • Like 2

If I know my cliches, this isn't the message that will be sent. Rather, he'll start out as a shallow, unlikable, skirt-chasing jock, who in time is taught compassion, empathy, and common decency by his friends (mind, I have known this to happen in real-life.) I could be totally wrong, but such a character simply isn't an audience identification figure, unless your audience consists of a bunch of alpha-male jocks.

That's not the feeling I get from the trailer. It has to be noted that it frames Lance as the protagonist and victor of the narrative - two squabbling, obviously silly knights are fighting over the woman, then a "real man" who meets her needs comes in to sweep her away. Even if they go for the redemption arc for him, there is a really troubling underlying ideology to the treatment of the woman as a trophy that bothers me a lot.

Ah yes, the generic tomboy. A tiresome trope, though by the same token, I'm not sure if the average target-audience-age boy can be counted upon to appreciate a more nuanced, less macho, female hero.

I realize this really isn't the place for a more in-depth discussion of representation in the media, so suffice to say I would respond by asking why the target can't be expected to accept a more nuanced female character, and wondering whether it is okay that that is acceptable by our modern standards.

• Like 3

Not quite what I expected, but I wasn't really sure what to expect anyway. I'll reserve my opinion until I've seen an episode or two of the TV series.

I like the sets regardless, though.

It looks like the generic knights are the soldiers from the original yellow castle? That's fair, but why is one of the good guys a Black Falcon?

Because he's obviously not a Black Falcon, he's a Blue Falcon :P

In seriousness, I highly doubt that these are meant to be the same factions as the old Castle sets, they're probably just reusing the emblems out of laziness as a reference to the old sets.

Quisoves Potoo

That's not the feeling I get from the trailer. It has to be noted that it frames Lance as the protagonist and victor of the narrative - two squabbling, obviously silly knights are fighting over the woman, then a "real man" who meets her needs comes in to sweep her away.

It is his video, and it demonstrates what he's like. That's in no way a condonation of his actions. He wins at being an alpha male jock. Whether or not one ought to be an alpha male jock is another matter. It's like the BIONICLE Skull Villain-character videos. It would be silly for them to show the Toa defeating them, wouldn't it?

Even if they go for the redemption arc for him, there is a really troubling underlying ideology to the treatment of the woman as a trophy that bothers me a lot.

It's troubling, but it's also a real part of human behavior, in particular of alpha-male culture. Now, if the narrative has Macy falling for him (in his initial, jockish state) then that would probably send the wrong message. However, the standard trope is for the main female character to reject the advances of the alpha-male lady's man, at least until he's reformed his ways.

I realize this really isn't the place for a more in-depth discussion of representation in the media, so suffice to say I would respond by asking why the target can't be expected to accept a more nuanced female character, and wondering whether it is okay that that is acceptable by our modern standards.

Because children are imbalanced, and boys subsequently have a rather stupid attitude towards girls. I never minded female characters, when I was that age, but I was the exception that proves the rule. It's not a status-quo that I like, but human xenophobia is nonetheless a fact of life. It oughtn't to be pandered to, but by the same token, one can do no good by alienating one's primary audience. Now, I don't think that the generic tomboy is the only way to go, but I do think that making an appealing (for 7-11 year old boys,) feminine, female character requires a good deal more skill than the hackwork that generally goes into LEGO's stories.

I think you guys are drawing a lot of conclusions about these characters from short 10-second clips that barely reveal anything. 

I could go into detail about how I interpreted the character videos, but that seems pointless. We'll see how these characters are written once the show airs, and we could all have been wrong. It actually might be fun to debate a bit, but mostly I just feel too lazy to delve into the issue right now.

So I will instead say: Was that dubstep playing in the character vids?

MaelstromIslander

So I will instead say: Was that dubstep playing in the character vids?

UH-OH TAKE COVER EVERYONE THE MODERNIZATION IS ABOUT TO BEGIN

Astro-Space-Guy

What in the nine holds did i just see. What is this abomination, and why does it exist! Clearly they ran out of original ideas and they just copy the same thing but with a different name and appearance! In my personal opinion, The Mixel's story (if it even HAS one.) Is like Lord of The Rings compared to this!

This has been: Ranty rants with Astro-Space-Guy

What in the nine holds did i just see. What is this abomination, and why does it exist! Clearly they ran out of original ideas and they just copy the same thing but with a different name and appearance! In my personal opinion, The Mixel's story (if it even HAS one.) Is like Lord of The Rings compared to this!

This has been: Ranty rants with Astro-Space-Guy

srsly.png

Edited by Fushigisaur
  • Like 2

Few people here seem particularly impressed by this theme, some even criticising it, which is fair enough from our perspective. But I don't think it's fair to say that this theme is a failure on LEGO's part. Looking at it, I'm sure it's going to be a huge success with LEGO's main target audience just as Ninjago and Chima were before it. I congratulate LEGO on making another great theme that, even though AFOL's and TFOL's here may not find it appealing, I'm sure kids will absolutely love. I would certainly have loved this if I were younger, but I won't be buying it now as I'm not really interested. Nice work on another great theme LEGO!

Oh also, I see no issue with the stereotypes they have portrayed. Sure, they've made a warrior lady, but how is that wrong? If there are just as many complaints about women being depicted as princesses as there are about them being warriors (yes, I know this particular one is both), then how can LEGO win? Kids latch onto stereotypes as it's so much easier to depict a character through them, especially as they aren't so likely to read in-depth lore to learn about all the intricacies of a character.

Well, now that I look at it again, I think I'm liking this theme more and more now. Definitely like the sets, and I'm curious to see how good the TV show is. I'm not expecting Ninjago quality, but if it does better than Chima's first season (I wasn't very interested in the show until the end of Season 1 onwards, where I think the show got progressively better), then I'll be happy.

Also, Jestro's face is creepier than the Dark Knight version of the Joker. That creepy smile is straight out of a Lego nightmare...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.