The Mega AMD Support Thread

Fluffy Cupcake

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

So after uninstalling the driver, was the Catalyst Control Center (or whatever it was called) still under your installed programs list? I'm not sure if that application also had to be uninstalled separately or not.

I used a tool that uninstalled everything AMD-related. It wasn't there again when I installed your 13.1 drivers, however; only when I reverted back to 15.2.

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

Double checking, but this is W10 you are trying to install it on, yeah?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

I have no idea if it is also a contributing factor, but how new is your AMD? Mine was an ATI Radeon HD 5450.

Radeon HD 7500. Last update was almost a year ago, no longer supported. 13.1 should work on it, and yet...

d283c77d5dd5276c5e8042f8c1e2d3e8.png

update: I got it to look okay but now it's super-unstable and prone to crashing. also my resolution is stuck in 4:3 and stretched out so it's an eyesore to play. I swear I've installed Windows 7 on this same drive before but I don't want to risk it if it's gonna involve formatting stuff.

18 hours ago, Ringtail said:

when I tried to install Windows 7 it said it can't install on GPT drives or something

Yeah, Windows 7 needs to be a 64-bit version to be installed on GPT partitioned drives.

17 hours ago, Ringtail said:

I swear I've installed Windows 7 on this same drive before but I don't want to risk it if it's gonna involve formatting stuff.

If you really want to install Win7 to play Rock Raiders, I'd suggest installing it on a different hard drive. There's no way you can mess up your Win10 installation then.

If you're not going to be storing files you want to keep on Win7, then you could even use a used hard drive to save some cash.

7 minutes ago, mumboking said:

If you're not going to be storing files you want to keep on Win7, then you could even use a used hard drive to save some cash.

yeah that was my plan, just get a cheap used 50GB or so drive and just use it to run programs and try to record to my main drive.

I mean maybe I have a 64x Windows 7 somewhere but idk.

• 1 month later...

ok i got windows 7 (x64) working but then when i installed the x64 AMD drivers it didn't fix the aspect ratio and now that OS bluescreens on startup with a 0x00007B error. god damn.

Success!

What worked for me (RX480, windows 10) was installing dgVoodoo

Now it works perfectly except for the occasional random crash (though that can probably be chalked up to RR being RR)

7 hours ago, oboewan42 said:

Success!

What worked for me (RX480, windows 10) was installing dgVoodoo

okay uh. i have no idea how to use this thing, there's an installer that doesn't seem to do anything? if it's not too much trouble, can you give a step-by-step of what you did?

Fluffy Cupcake

Interesting, I've actually used that program to run another old game in a high resolution, never thought to use it on RRs.

I don't know what settings to set (or even how to get it working with RRs, I tried for a couple minutes) so hopefully obewan can help with that, but the gist of the program is that the installer isn't really an "installer", it is just used to set up the program for usage with the game. To get started, in the program press the button that says "add" and select RR's directory, thereafter mess around with settings and press apply, I recommend leaving the "dgVoodoo watermark" box checked so you can see if it actually working or not (it will make an overlay watermark logo of dgVoodoo appear in the game). If all went well a new file "dgVoodoo.conf" should be created in RR's directory (you may need to run the program as admin if one doesn't appear). That's all I can really say but it should help you get started in the right direction.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have a new method to be test by all you AMD peeps.

This method has worked for me with my AMD card + Windows 10. (Tested with vanilla and Cafeteria enabled)

1. Download WineD3D 4Win 2

2. Dump ddraw.dll, libwine.dll, wined3d.dll into LRR's directory from the downloaded zip.

3. Set to 16 bit colour mode (Or set it in the compatibility tab of the game)

4. Start LRR, but select "windowed" on the Mode Selection window, making sure the wine3d display driver is also selected.

Let me know your results.

• Like 2

it works holy s***?

it still looks kinda ugly and bright tho like when you run in RGB mode instead of the nicer-shaded D3D mode on graphics cards it can run well on. but god damn it actually works for once like, wow

4 hours ago, Ringtail said:

it works holy s***?

it still looks kinda ugly and bright tho like when you run in RGB mode instead of the nicer-shaded D3D mode on graphics cards it can run well on. but god damn it actually works for once like, wow

Strange, I think I have different results. I've only noticed 3 graphics issues, all rather minor.

On 1/4/2017 at 7:13 AM, Cyrem said:

Strange, I think I have different results. I've only noticed 3 graphics issues, all rather minor.

I have an AMD Raedon 7500, which is kinda trashy and isn't supported any more. Also Win10.

For me it looks like this:

p7nM6Nd.png

which is usually what it looks like when I select RGB mode on graphics cards it works with. But I'm selecting D3D-WINE here (I followed your steps), and usually on real graphics cards Direct3D HAL would look like this:

NWApCkk.png

Again, it's still a miracle that it works, but I know there's got to be a way to make it work better.

It was an ancient mod where I replaced the bat's model with PHead.LWO. It was the best-looking picture I could find on my hard drive to show off what I meant about the lighting difference lmao, sorry.

You seem to have different results to me, my lighting in 3rd person works well. Yours looks like it does when you turn on when one of the video card parameters.

I have noticed some additional glitches since, mainly to do with anything that doesn't have a texture and is RGB coloured... Sometimes flickers.

okay the issue was because I put -ftm in the shortcut parameters because I thought that was what turned the fog on and it looks better with the gradual fog instead of the rendering just abruptly stopping, but I guess I had my parameters mixed up, sorry. Was it -fvl or something? Now the lighting is fine, but all the polygons without textures are showing as white instead of what they should be, yeah. Haven't seen any flickers yet. Hope we find out how to fix those issues.

So with ftm enabled the textures and coloured rendered correctly? If this is the case I might enable it since I think I'd prefer the colours work rather than have the lighting.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2017 at 11:49 PM, Cyrem said:

So I have a new method to be test by all you AMD peeps.

This method has worked for me with my AMD card + Windows 10. (Tested with vanilla and Cafeteria enabled)

1. Download WineD3D 4Win 2

2. Dump ddraw.dll, libwine.dll, wined3d.dll into LRR's directory from the downloaded zip.

3. Set to 16 bit colour mode (Or set it in the compatibility tab of the game)

4. Start LRR, but select "windowed" on the Mode Selection window, making sure the wine3d display driver is also selected.

Let me know your results.

Doesnt seem to work  for me on the RX 480 w/latest driver, slows system down, and ends up crashing the game

The ddraw.dll part seems to be the culprit.

Works fine otherwise (without the wined3d) although i can only get the RGB mode to function,  not HAL on any  method i've tried so far, is there files that need to be in the directory for HAL to work?

PS on Windows 10

Okay so I'm back on a better Win7 install and I'm trying the AMD drivers Xiron provided again, but it's still being weird. It's not corrupting any more but I don't think it's actually installing? It says it does, but the folder I set it to install to is empty and catalyst control is nowhere to be seen, and if I try reinstalling it gets frozen on "Currently Installing: AMD Catalyst Install Manager" and won't go past that. I tried installing the packages individually but it still is using the default display drivers. Anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?

• 3 years later...

Without mentioning dgVoodoo 2 and Masterpiece Edition executable in the OP this thread is obsolete.

And speaking of Virtual Machines, Rock Raiders can also be played in PCem v15, but Masterpiece Edition executable is needed even there.

But since you can only emulate up to Pentium MMX 233 and 4 MB Voodoo card, and those are basically minimum system requirements for the game, the framerate is very low and goes under 20 FPS. I don't recommend this, but it was fun to see how far this emulator has got.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.