The Mega AMD Support Thread

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

Here in the OP I will post all known fixes for AMD cards. Below you can post if problems still occur, and I will update the OP with new solutions when they come around.

Common Problems:

• Lag on RGB Emulator, including falling white, textureless rocks
  • Direct3D HAL not working (you need to get this one working to play without issues!)
  • Game crashes on mission select

Additional problems: Game crashing when using things like sonic blaster.
Solution: This topic here.

Fixes! (Problems indicating this topic is for you can be found at the bottom!)

*In all cases (#1 aside), running in Direct3D HAL is the best choice.

1: Run the game in RGB Emulation mode.
If you are too lazy to do anything special, this is for you!

Cons: Lots of lag, game may crash when selecting missions. (Opening CLGen, then selecting Voodoo 2 and leaving the screen open on screen without pressing okay sometimes fixes the crashing).

2: Booting into safe mode
For the slightly less lazy

Cons: Having to switch between safe mode and non-safe mode whenever you do want to play.

3: For cards with Crossfire Mode only:

Spoiler
On 2014-04-10 at 7:03 PM, Ninjarelic said:

Right-click the LegoRR.exe and in the compatibility make sure the following boxes are checked off:

-Disable visual themes

-Disable desktop composition

-Disable scaling on high DPI settings

-Run this program as administrator

After this there is only one more thing. (As far as i know, this only applies to cards using CrossfireX Mode) Go into Catalyst Control Centre, the Gaming, select 3D Application Settings. + Add, search files until you find the LegoRR.exe shortcut, and select it. This should allow you to change the graphical features used when running this specific game. Scroll down until you find CrossfireX Mode, open the options list for it and select Disable, then Save.

This should stop the screen flickering and un-textured landslide screen transition, and (if you got this far before) the HUD flickering/flashing while in missions.  

This isn't a complete fix though, just after finding this out and playing a couple missions, the game crashed as soon as i tried to teleport down a Loader Dozer.  :/

I hope this helps people, and i'm open for suggestions (and also advice on how to teleport large vehicles without crashing the game)

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

4: Downgrading Drivers (this may not be compatible with newer cards). Uninstall your current AMD drivers and install the older version 13.1, that is the last one to be reported compatible with Rock Raiders.

These drivers can be found here:

32-bit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/twftxkdghlw1aex/13-1_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc_whql.zip

64-bit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sf6deitv5d96396/13-1_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.zip

(confirmed to work on Win10 too)

5: Use A Virtual Machine
http://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/6753-tutorial-running-lego-rock-raiders-on-windows-10-with-virtualbox/
(Not W10 exclusive)

6. Multiboot
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/install-multiple-operating-system-multiboot

Great idea, thanks for this Xiron.

It may also be beneficial to list all the common problems people have. That way we might not get so many new topics about the same issues, e.g. the game crashing at a particular point.

• 1 month later...

I boot Windows 7 in Safe Mode. It works! The game doesn't lag anymore. But i can only select RGB Emulator. The Direct3D HAL option disappeared in Safe Mode. Downgrading the drivers for my graphics card is not the best fix for me. Maybe i try another way: the virtual machine. I can do a multiboot system too. I install Win XP on one HDD an Win 7 on the other. Maybe that works too. But the Safe Mode is not bad. The only thing that happens here is that the mouse scrolling in the level selection menu is way too fast.

I choose multiboot. Now, i have Win 7 and Win XP. Rock Raiders runs perfectly on XP. That's what i wanted! :)

Edited by Knatterkalle

• Addictgamer pinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Right, I had them transferred over to my other Mediafire account when I had it closed down (cause for some reason I had two accounts). Fixed the links.

I'm uh, not entirely sure how to install it. I tried removing my current driver and then installing this but I think it just installed the latest version again instead somehow.

Fluffy Cupcake

Huh, that's interesting. It's been quite a while since I've done this so I'm not entirely sure or not if I had an auto-updating issue I had to deal with or not.

• 1 month later...

Okay so I guess I'm here to try this out again now, if this bombs I'll just install windows 7 but I'd like to try this first, so what exactly do I need to do for uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new ones? I forget what I did last time and it didn't work anyway so.

1 hour ago, Ringtail said:

Okay so I guess I'm here to try this out again now, if this bombs I'll just install windows 7 but I'd like to try this first, so what exactly do I need to do for uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new ones? I forget what I did last time and it didn't work anyway so.

Go to control panel, device manager, then right click on the device you want to remove the driver from, go to properties, driver, then uninstall. You can either get the new drivers from the manufacturer's website (which is what I recommend), or install them off of the disk(s) that came with your computer/motherboard/video card/whatever else.

17 minutes ago, willphiln31 said:

Go to control panel, device manager, then right click on the device you want to remove the driver from, go to properties, driver, then uninstall. You can either get the new drivers from the manufacturer's website (which is what I recommend), or install them off of the disk(s) that came with your computer/motherboard/video card/whatever else.

The drivers are the ones Xiron provided up there.

I did all that, installed the new drivers, and rebooted, and it still says driver version 15.2 instead of 13.1. If I try to roll back driver it just goes to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter or something. What the hell am I doing wrong?

2 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

The drivers are the ones Xiron provided up there.

I did all that, installed the new drivers, and rebooted, and it still says driver version 15.2 instead of 13.1. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Oh, I see. This is a graphics driver I'm guessing?

3 minutes ago, willphiln31 said:

Oh, I see. This is a graphics driver I'm guessing?

That's uh... kind of what this whole thread is about?

72FueOW.png

1Z1qrZa.png

9ZUSm6A.png

zgzy2j5.png

1 minute ago, Ringtail said:

Just making sure. I always use Display Driver Uninstaller to make sure the old driver is completely gone before I go ahead and install the new one. Maybe go back and double check that you didn't accidentally tick something relating to auto-updates?

10 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

72FueOW.png

1Z1qrZa.png

9ZUSm6A.png

zgzy2j5.png

Oh, looks like AMD has it's own utility for wiping out the old drivers. https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

Well I used DDU and it seemed to work but it still shows Basic Adapter and refuses to use the new drivers, if they're even installing. Xiron are you sure this is the right version?

I can't download AMD's tool, it just says "Download Not Complete" every time I click the link. edit: nevermind it works, I'll try that and then see if the 32 bit version might work.

EDIT: NOPE SAME s***. Guess I'll have to install windows 7 and see if that will accept the drivers.

30 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

Well I used DDU and it seemed to work but it still shows Basic Adapter and refuses to use the new drivers, if they're even installing. Xiron are you sure this is the right version?

I can't download AMD's tool, it just says "Download Not Complete" every time I click the link. edit: nevermind it works, I'll try that and then see if the 32 bit version might work.

EDIT: NOPE SAME s***. Guess I'll have to install windows 7 and see if that will accept the drivers.

Which driver are you looking for? I could try to find it for you elsewhere if the one Xiron provided  isn't working.

Welp I couldn't get Xiron's drivers to work, and when I tried to install Windows 7 it said it can't install on GPT drives or something, and now I've followed Jimbob's VirtualBox tutorial exactly as he did it but even after booting safe mode and installing Direct3D support it still only offers RGB emulation and no Direct3D at all, and when I tried to do this on VMWare a few weeks ago it showed it but crashed if I picked it just like it does on Windows 10 does, so...

what the f**** do I do now?

edit: I should say that the RGB mode in Virtual Box technically works, but uh...

319d4faa759ea44196fe572efb6efac1.png

it sucks

also there's some weird audio delay and i had wanted to record stuff from this so uh, yeah

Fluffy Cupcake

I'm sure those are the right ones, the only other ones I downloaded were other versions whilst I was testing to see if one would work and as I went I deleted the ones that didn't, before I even got to the zipping process. So after uninstalling the driver, was the Catalyst Control Center (or whatever it was called) still under your installed programs list? I'm not sure if that application also had to be uninstalled separately or not.

Double checking, but this is W10 you are trying to install it on, yeah? I never tried it on anything above W7, and it's kinda too late for me to do so since I don't have AMD anymore. I have no idea if it is also a contributing factor, but how new is your AMD? Mine was an ATI Radeon HD 5450.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.