Tutorial: Running LEGO Rock Raiders on Windows 10 with VirtualBox

Jimbob

I got it to run on virtual box thanks to your tutorial and the game is playable but performance is low, it drops to 15 fps at places and my pc should handle this game without lag. I dont know if its just a poor engine of the game thats causing this, but I cant play like this so im just wondering if there's any way to run this game flawlessly without any performance drops. 

You have no idea how long I've gone without LRR because I could not get any XP VM running that worked with LRR. At last I can play LRR again you are a legend.

For me, to get LRR working I had to have 2D acceleration turned off. Otherwise seems to work perfectly.

Unfortunately, XP is not compatibility with .Net Framework 4.5 which is needed for Cafeteria to work it's magic. =

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using VMware instead of VirtualBox but it runs okay for me too. Looks like ass, but it's more than I've been able to do for the last four years. I'm still hoping the ability to run in Direct3D will be available eventually, unless someone here already figured it out and I'm just an idiot who can't read. Edit: By which I mean that already I've become spoiled and ungrateful and want it to run looking nice instead of everything glowing and being at 15fps like RGB emulation only allows. Besides I didn't even follow any of the steps here except for replacing -best with -ftm, I already had a virtual machine with some 3D capabilities set up. I just want it to look and run as smoothly as it did on Windows 7.

• 4 weeks later...

I have installed VirtualBox and Windows Xp as told (Only the Resulotion of my Screen is different) but RockRaider says:

Spoiler

large.57b1a868f0a7a_Screenshot(28).png.d

Please Help me.

P.S. Yes the language of my Programm is German.

P.P.S. I`m terrible at speeling and Grammar please excuse my mistakes

P.P.P.S. The Disc is insertet and my Computer can read the Data (I`ve tried it also with other DVDs and they work fine).

I would say you probably have a copy of LRR that needs a disc, but if it got that far before giving you the error then I'm not sure. 

13 hours ago, Ringtail said:

I would say you probably have a copy of LRR that needs a disc, but if it got that far before giving you the error then I'm not sure. 

I bought the CD-ROM about five years ago at a yard sale and it installed fine at this time.

I just found it in a box full of other old CDs in the cellar and want it to reinstall.

This time it says I have to insert the correct CD-ROM.

idk why it would do that - been having the same issue with LR2 all of a sudden myself. Wish I could help, but going by this topic's history it seems people ain't talking about this game much any more.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, yodaatemycar said:

Is it possible to install the game using a downloaded ISO of the game?

an ISO is just a virtual duplicate of the CD. it does and has all the same stuff, just from a virtual drive instead of the disc drive.

• 3 months later...
  • lol username unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...

I followed the instructions, right up to the "-ftm" part. When I launched the game, it refused to launch and gave me an LEGORR error, instead of giving me a screen where I have to choose a resolution.

• 3 weeks later...

Hai I was wondering if you could help me.I did all the steps and now i can Play LRR thank you so much! But it is really laggy and slow, why is this? Can you help me with my problem?

• 10 months later...
SurUnAirLatino

I have the same problem as Revan0123, can I get any help please ?
thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm good, I managed to work around it, thanks anyway :)

Edited by SurUnAirLatino
solved the problem

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!

This is a great Guide, though I needed two more configurations that would probably help the fellas above and in future:

1. Find Lego Raiders in the Windows XP window --> Right Click it --> Compatibility Tab --> Under Compatibility Mode check the box and select Windows 90/Windows Me.

2. If you're do offered the resolution choosing screen and game launch fine however game crush when you try to choose a level, here's additional solution:

To run on Windows XP:

1. Open Start Menu
2. Open Run
3. Type DXDiag and press Run
4. Go to the tab "Display", and disable "DirectDraw"
- Notice, that this will disable "Microsoft Direct3D Hardware Acceleration"
and "AGP Texture Acceleration".

- Also that many games and / or programs require this to function properly.
5. Press close.
6. Play!
7. When done playing, enable "DirectDraw" again, so that youre computer may function
normally again. This can be achieved by redoing steps 1 to 5 again, and making sure
that all three types of DirectX Features are set as "Enabled"

Credit to user Zeeth From HERE

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/20/2015 at 4:50 PM, JimbobJeffers said:

Link your disk drive

Now to link your Windows XP’s disk drive to your physical one. Click Devices from the top menu bar, then highlight Optical Drives and click Host Drive ‘#:’ from the sub-menu. Depending on your hardware setup the # may appear as a D, F, or other letter

when i open DEVICES and hover over OPTICAL DRIVES to select my drive, it says LegoRR.exe (which is the lego rock raiders file from a site on this forum)

How can i fix this?

I have to say it's pretty nice of you to set up a tutorial here for us to do. I'd say I almost got it working, except that the game doesn't start but gives me an unhelpfully vague error message saying that "LegoRR.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." I'm not sure if it's an issue with my copy or not, although I already tried setting the color quality to 16-bit and ran it in under compatibility mode as well as disabling DirectDraw, but I haven't got any farther than that message. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

I followed all the steps, but when I try to open Rock Raiders it just tells me that it encountered a problem and needs to close, and asks if I want to send an error report.

• 4 weeks later...

I came to the point with the -ftm thing and after I tried to start it, it just tells me that LegoRR.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. What can I do about that I would love to play Lego Rock Raiders again pls send help.

• 2 months later...
Aligatetcolt

Hey, good tutorial but it just does not want to work for me, i first had that screen where it said it encounterd a problem and then i fixed that but now it just gives me that menu where i can say fullscreen or windowed and then its just black for a verry low amount of time and then nothing. also other lego games like legoland or lego racers do not want to work.

edit: i now have the game running in windowed mode on windows 10. i folowed Cyrem's tutorial in how to run it in windowed mode

• 5 weeks later...

After having tried to make this work, Virtual Box doesn't seem to allow me to start Windows XP, after carefully following this guide, i ran into the following error: cEEvi9E.png

Any idea on how i can get around this?

I have tried to follow this post perfectly I have done all the troubleshooting I know how to do I have used older versions I have used newer versions of voodoo but I cannot get the game to run I have Windows 10 professional 64-bit a GTX 980 TI any help

https://imgur.com/a/hx4qdEr

• 3 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.