The LEGO Batman Movie

emily

my favs:

- fairy batman

- pencil man

bit of a shame they didn't actually do a new cut of cloth for lobster lovin' batman, but that was pretty unlikely anyway

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess I should've seen this coming;

"Sky (TM)" has released a new ad for their services, this time based on The LEGO Batman Movie.

No-one seems to have uploaded it anywhere (not even the "Sky" YouTube Channel or Twitter account has officially posted it), so just trust me when I say it exists.

Spoiler

I only saw the advert when my TV was muted, hence why I can't say much about it, but I'm willing to guess they're gonna release an exclusive-to-Sky animated short based on the movie (because they've done that many times in the past). So, to anyone who uses Sky's services, keep an eye out.

1 hour ago, Ben24x7 said:

I guess I should've seen this coming;

"Sky (TM)" has released a new ad for their services, this time based on The LEGO Batman Movie.

No-one seems to have uploaded it anywhere (not even the "Sky" YouTube Channel or Twitter account has officially posted it), so just trust me when I say it exists.

Hide contents

I only saw the advert when my TV was muted, hence why I can't say much about it, but I'm willing to guess they're gonna release an exclusive-to-Sky animated short based on the movie (because they've done that many times in the past). So, to anyone who uses Sky's services, keep an eye out.

This?

I've re-uploaded it (in 720p though) for those that can't view the original.

Spoiler

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey. I watched the LEGO Batman Movie. Here are my thoughts. My spoilery thoughts.

Spoiler

I liked this a lot more than I expected. The marketing blitzkrieg had really hardened me to the concept of the film, I had a hard time anticipating it as anything else than a heartless marketing machine. And I mean, it still is that, to some extent. That's inescapable for any Lego movie. But it's still a film with a lot of care and love put into it. And the animation is gorgeous of course. 

I was laughing a lot. The pew-pews. Killer Croc's single line. there are lots of little inane things that happen that are just kind of perfect. It's like the Lego Movie, which I guess isn't surprising, but its also good. I'm glad a change in writers isn't enough to change the overall tone of what we're looking at (at this point in the franchise's lifetime, at least). 

The moral of the story was ok. Batman gets really f****ing harsh at times, but they literally toss it all back in his face at the end. I was worried they would end up pushing a traditional nuclear family as the cure to Batman's woes so I'm happy they went out of their way to fight against that at the end (when bats explicitly lays out each family member's relation to him - surrogate father, adopted son, co-worker)

...co-worker. Barbara is probably where I have the most trouble with the film. I'm endlessly grateful that they didn't actually shoehorn in a romance between her and bats, but that they didn't ultimately begs the question: why bother with bringing up the possibility in the first place, then? I guess just to reinforce bat's masculinity/because girl and how to girl without romance? 

Barbara is a victim of that kind of writing where the author is consciously worried about being sexist, but still doesn't know how to treat women as plain old characters, and so just writes a hyper-competent perfect boring cutout instead. On top of that, I feel like babs never really escape being a prop to batman's arc in the story. robin and alfred have their own little arcs they go through, but babs is just there to guilt batman in the right direction. I think its a victory that she doesn't default to his romantic partner, but there's still a ways to go. Note also that she's the only major character in the film that is also a woman, and her role isn't super huge.

On the other side of the coin, we've got batman and joker's relationship. Now look. they're pretty clearly romantically paired and I love that. Yes, its under that 'frenemy' veneer but replace either one of them with a woman and nobody would be arguing the type of relationship they have. I'm really proud of lego for going as far as they did, and my favorite shot is probably the one at the end where the two are standing really close together with a sunset in the background. That said, they do still bury the relationship under the frenemy thing and the batman/barbara dynamic - that isn't cool and I hope that lego will soon come to a place where they will depict LGBTQ+ relationships unashamedly. 

oh and there were skeletons. that made me really happy

That's most of what I had on my mind I think. see you in a few months for ninjago!

• Like 2

I watched the LEGO Batman Movie as well just a couple hours ago. Pretty cool.

Unfortunately for some reason I kept on having the feeling that while the story is complete in of itself, the pacing is really weird. I don't know why, in certain scenes it was hard for me to follow what each character was thinking, it almost seemed like in different parts of the movie they completely changed personality without any warning, only to get back in character a few seconds later. I don't know, it felt really weird. It didn't last very long but it was enough to confuse me. Maybe it was just me and it's just because I'm tired at the moment.

But the rest of it was gold, the humor is perfect and so are the visuals. Also, I noticed the skeleton as well. Pretty cool they could sneak one in.

I'm also hyped for the Ninjago movie, after seeing this one I'm positive it won't be half bad. Maybe not even a quarter bad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.