The Sins of LEGO Island 2

lol username

Could it be possible that the layout of the UV is what causes some minifig parts to receive odd lighting? (although its possible it has nothing to do with the UV)

• Like 1

lol username

Could it be possible that the layout of the UV is what causes some minifig parts to receive odd lighting? (although its possible it has nothing to do with the UV)

Probably not. It's more likely to do with weird vertex normals or just plainly bad shading. (Assuming you're talking about the stuff you were in the other topic - the weird shading here)

• Like 1

Well, everyone knew already why the game loads everything for so long. But now it gets even worse, I'm getting Action 52 vibes from this.

Could you post your fixed UV map for comparison? I want to learn how those things work in the first place and it's good to see how not to do them.

Could you post your fixed UV map for comparison? I want to learn how those things work in the first place and it's good to see how not to do them.

Just as a general note on UVs; they're really simple. What you're trying to do is break your model down into flat pieces, similar to when you make the net of a 3D shape like a cube or pyramid. You need to think in terms of how an artist is going to texture your model, so its best to keep similar-coloured areas together. As a general rule (not necessarily important given most engines work out lighting independent of the texture UVs), you also want to slice parts that have different lighting.

• Like 1

Well now I know why every time I play this game I have to wait several long and boring minutes every time I enter a world or minigame, even though this game is 13 years old.

I'm glad I never tried to play this game back in 2002...:S

Well now I know why every time I play this game I have to wait several long and boring minutes every time I enter a world or minigame, even though this game is 13 years old.

It wasn't much worse back in 2002. The load lengths don't get much better with fast SSDs or worse with slow HDDs. They seem to be artificial load lengths, and have been accidentally broken by messing around with the game. I think jamesster said that he broke the loading time delays by alt-tabbing out of LEGO Island 2.

Edited by Alcom1
  • Like 1

It wasn't much worse back in 2002. The load lengths don't get much better with fast SSDs or worse with slow HDDs. They seem to be artificial load lengths, and have been accidentally broken by messing around with the game. I think jamesster said that he broke the loading time delays by alt-tabbing out of LEGO Island 2.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to try that next time I play. :D 

lol username

So... just how little space could LI2 take up if nothing was duplicated?

Will ran his tool on a completely extracted LI2 install, and it seems that there's 178.21 MB of redundant files in total.

I wonder if you could remove the duplicates and edit the exe (or create a program) to redirect the file accesses to one single file.

It's probably not worth doing though if that's all the drive space you'd recover...

Ahh, but perhaps that'd change the loadtime dynamic.  If combined with a loadtime fixer that disables the artificial limits on loadspeed, it might greatly speed up loading.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.