Building a gaming PC for under $300

Onegreatrace

Dazzgracefulmoon

The only way I see you winning said bet is if you try to play at 640x480.

At 1080p, a GTX970, which is superior in nearly every single measurable way, by as much as 200%, still won't reliably get you 60FPS on medium on GTA V.

​To be fair, GTA 5 with a steady 60 FPS Is only obtainable with two cards, I doubt a single overclocked card could actually pull that off, no matter how much it's been overclocked.

Also, If you don't have water cooling you could bake a potato by just sitting it ontop of your case.

This site says that Rockstar say a HD7870 can run 4K at 30fps: http://www.pcgamer.com/what-youll-need-to-run-gta-5-pc-in-4k/

​Rockstar said a lot of things. The game is better optimised than GTA IV, but it's still not perfect.

Futhermore, they specifically said "you'll need at minimum", implying that every setting will need to be set at its lowest and that there will likely be drops.

Onegreatrace

This site says that Rockstar say a HD7870 can run 4K at 30fps: http://www.pcgamer.com/what-youll-need-to-run-gta-5-pc-in-4k/

​Rockstar said a lot of things. The game is better optimised than GTA IV, but it's still not perfect.

Futhermore, they specifically said "you'll need at minimum", implying that every setting will need to be set at its lowest and that there will likely be drops.

​Checking on Steam, the 7870 is for Reccomended, not minimum.

Picked up a decent looking case for $20. Now, I just need to order 8 GB of ram, a high quality PSU, and the g3258.

Picked up a decent looking case for $20. Now, I just need to order 8 GB of ram, a high quality PSU, and the g3258.

​It's a Rockstar game, though, which means Recommended is medium at 30FPS.

When you're finished, I demand video evidence that you actually hit and remain steadily at 60FPS with graphics on medium.

Onegreatrace

​It's a Rockstar game, though, which means Recommended is medium at 30FPS.

When you're finished, I demand video evidence that you actually hit and remain steadily at 60FPS with graphics on medium.

​Alright. You'll have to account for the fact it will be recording, however.

Ordered a CX500 for $35, and picked up my g3258. Now I just need to order the RAM and wait for it to arrive.

Onegreatrace

Just an update - received the case, motherboard, and video card. Power supply should arrive tomorrow with the ram and processor coming on Friday. Saturday I will be benchmarking the system, hopefully.

Onegreatrace

It seems my ram will not arrive until tomorrow. That means, I'm going to get everything built except putting the RAM in, and then the second it comes tomorrow, putting the RAM in, install windows and benchmark the living hell out of the system.

Onegreatrace

Pictures of my progress. Good for a first build? Open to criticism. Haven't put ram in yet as it isn't here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've only built one computer before so I can't really comment. As long as everything's connected completely I'm sure you're good!

So this was all definitely bought for under $300?

Onegreatrace

I've only built one computer before so I can't really comment. As long as everything's connected completely I'm sure you're good!

So this was all definitely bought for under $300?

​Yep. Ending total after I get the cash rebates back will be $294. Hey, I'll get to try the PC at UHC at UTC 0!

Not very good cable management, but then again, mine isn't that great...

Make sure that cable won't obstruct the fan blades in the top. Looks rather close.

Onegreatrace

Some text benchmarks on the games I enjoy playing. Done using FRAPS benchmark feature which doesn't record. (All DX11 or 12 if they supported it)

Planetside 2 - Everything on high, shadows on ultra

Min. 39 (during a battle where i looked at the sun and JJ Abrams level of lens flare

Avg. 57

Max 83

TF2 - Everything on the highest possible

MIn. 64

Avg. 78

Max. 112

CS:GO - Regular, everything maxed

Min. 57

Avg. 74

Max. 92

CS:GO - Streaming, AA down to 4x, VSync on,

Min. 58

Avg. 60

Max. 60

LEGO Worlds - Everything on Highest Possible

Min: 29 (IDK when)

Avg. 53

Max. 76

Tomb Raider - Max, no TressFX

Min. 43

Avg. 62

Max. 87

Garry's Mod - Everything max, gm_sandbox, so not very stressed.

Min. 89

Avg. 92

Max. 120

Arma 2 - Everything max, AA on 4x

Min. 46

Avg. 63

Max. 76

Any other games you want to see benchmarked?

Depends, what games do you have? INB4 "BENCHMARK LEGO ISLAND! OMGLOL!".

If you want to bump up those framerates a bit, try using 2x AA. It's probably still enough.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.