Messier, the Interstellar Merchant Tycoon

Phoenyx

This is a game I call Messier. It's a Tycoon-style game built around running a merchant fleet written in C++. It's currently a text-based game, but I plan on eventually using the SDL graphics library.

At the moment, all you do is buy ships when you have the money, and your profits grow like crazy. There's not even a save feature yet. But the game is playable in this extremely early and simplistic state.

No screenshots yet because, well, it's just text. I can grab some if you must have them, but they'll just be pictures of console windows.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Je_ziVneIOZGp5UkJYelhTY0E/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Phoenyx

Nice work so far, I just tried it out and made 1906 credits profit after 24 months. :D

Looks like you have the basic workings there. Will you be adding any methods of losing money?

Funny creation. Reminds me my very, very first program on C++ (However, mostly in C). I'd like to see how it should look using SDL.

Nevertheless, I discovered a really uncomfortable bug related to input stream. When you submit something other than integer (e.g. chars or digits with exp), infinite loop begins. I think you have to simply ignore other data types using switch() statement's default case (Just my 2 cents based on my thoughts about source code of your game). :P

Moreover, it seems like you didn't implemented checks to prevent integers overflow. When you submit an integer out of range of int type at all (e.g. 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 and so on), you get into infinite loop the same as if I'd submitted something other than integer.

1ddb938c19.png

Edited by coffins
Additions to bugs

Nice work so far, I just tried it out and made 1906 credits profit after 24 months. :D

Looks like you have the basic workings there. Will you be adding any methods of losing money?

​Well, first off, you can lose money if you just buy one small ship. You pay 10 credits in tax every month, and small ships cost 1 credit per month in maintenance.

I'm planning on adding landing rights leases, trade tariffs and locations so that you can't just spam ships like you can in this build, and random events that can potentially damage profits like pirate attacks. I'll probably add contracts as well.

Funny creation. Reminds me my very, very first program on C++ (However, mostly in C). I'd like to see how it should look using SDL.

Nevertheless, I discovered a really uncomfortable bug related to input stream. When you submit something other than integer (e.g. chars or digits with exp), infinite loop begins. I think you have to simply ignore other data types using switch() statement's default case (Just my 2 cents based on my thoughts about source code of your game). :P

Moreover, it seems like you didn't implemented checks to prevent integers overflow. When you submit an integer out of range of int type at all (e.g. 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 and so on), you get into infinite loop the same as if I'd submitted something other than integer.

1ddb938c19.png

It turns out I completely forgot to add a default to the main menu switch. That's a quick fix.

EDIT: Turns out it was more than that. I had to add an error handler to the input.

EDIT2: The link's been updated. It should tell you that you gave an invalid command if you enter a letter or cause an overflow.

Edited by Phoenyx

It turns out I completely forgot to add a default to the main menu switch. That's a quick fix.

EDIT: Turns out it was more than that. I had to add an error handler to the input.

EDIT2: The link's been updated. It should tell you that you gave an invalid command if you enter a letter or cause an overflow.

​Yeah. Now everything is completely better than was.

However, it doesn't ignore EOF char (^Z in Windows as we know), so you'll get an empty field to input another command instead of notice about invalid command. That's not a deadly point in program, but looks a bit strange. :P

5ad9b77810.png

​Yeah. Now everything is completely better than was.

However, it doesn't ignore EOF char (^Z in Windows as we know), so you'll get an empty field to input another command instead of notice about invalid command. That's not a deadly point in program, but looks a bit strange. :P

5ad9b77810.png

​I'll probably leave that in since it will eventually be covered by a GUI. I'm currently trying to get random events working at the moment.

Alright, new update. I added two random events: a pirate attack that can make you lose money or ships, and a random government search that does nothing. The link has automatically been updated.

Edited by Phoenyx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.