Camera Tweaking! =D

Gmr_Leon

Hi guys! I've been really excited about Lego Worlds this whole week, and finding out that you guys have been digging even deeper into it made me doubly interested in trying it out myself. I've not made a ton of progress yet since like everyone else, I'm figuring some of this out as I go along, but I did find the notorious camera settings files!

If you go into, after having extracted these files, the folder Stuff > ChaseCam you'll see all the configuration files for camera settings while on foot, in a vehicle, riding a mount, and so on. Now some of these settings may be familiar to you if you've ever dug around camera settings files before, so I won't cover what all of them are (besides, I don't know entirely how all of them may work in this game, so it wouldn't help that much).

Nevertheless, what you may be particularly interested in are the following lines across basically any of these files:

-Avoidance_weight: this one's fortunately explained in the file, basically it lets you set the camera to clip through terrain when set to 0.0.

-Upper/Lower Angle Limit: this sets the amount you can move the camera vertically. Set these to 0 and you can't look up or down. Set them to 100/-100 respectively and you can move the camera directly above/below your character.

-Pan_User_Rotate_Speed: pretty self-explanatory, but it works! Upping the numbers increases camera rotation speed.

-Smooth_Lookat: this seems to keep your character in focus when above 0. Not sure what else it might do with other numbers.

There are more settings beyond these, but I haven't figured out how adjusting them changes anything. Was hoping some of the los_width/height options would allow for some FOV changes, but unless I'm blind, I couldn't see any, going from the lower values to higher. I definitely encourage anyone else interested to try adjusting some of these and seeing what you can find, just remember to back up the default settings before you change everything. =)

Edited by Gmr_Leon
  • Like 2

Hey again, I figured out how to adjust the camera distance for your character! I was being a little dense yesterday, thinking that the stick_length/height settings were somehow related to the analog sticks on a controller. However, it turns out these affect how far the camera is from your character!

Stick_length: default on-foot is 1.95, but upping it to 7 really gets you far out.

Stick_height: default is 0.25. Putting it at 7 may be a little much for the default minifig size, but if you want it way above your character, this might be a good option.

Edit: Fun fact, you can almost get these settings close to a crude first-person mode, but there's still some issues (e.g. camera starting looking directly down through your character, locking into looking almost directly up, constantly jolting upward as you move, etc.). That last issue is the closest I got it to a functional first-person state, and it mostly relied on tricking the camera into clipping through your character's head.

Edited by Gmr_Leon

*blerch*

Don't enable the following unless you have some plans for it:

lookat_offsetz: this displaces the camera from behind your character so you're always looking at them from off to the side...Sort of. If set to 1.0 it will look at empty space a small distance away from your character, but it's still partially controlled by both your mouse and your movement. I'm not usually one to get uneasy feelings from cameras in games, but something about this in particular messed with me a little, so if you get motion sickness from games, I definitely don't advise experimenting with this (again, unless you have some idea of how you might want to play with it and have a better handle of it).

Unclear on these ones still (a little), but you may not want to disable these:

screen_top/bottom: I'm still trying to work out what these do exactly, but so far as I can tell, disabling them seems to make the camera (when set low) bounce around a lot as you run up hills and really stutters when climbing/jumping.

Edited by Gmr_Leon

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.