Texture Modding

Neal

bxDbNVw.png

I'm just going to cover how to reskin minifigures in this tutorial.
Imgur gallery to look at for visuals of what I'm saying; http://imgur.com/a/7h1HP

Now, looking in \CHARS\, which folder seems like it's the texture folder? \SUPER_CHARACTER_TEXTURE\? You'd be right.
Once you're in there, take a look; it has every separate piece of a minifigure in there. Want to make a torso mod? Want to give someone really fancy pants? You can.

But wait, when you open the folders, there are .TEX files! What can you possibly do with that format? Oh. Wait. It's just a .dds file. Give it the .dds extension and then edit it with whatever paint tool you use. (I strongly recommend backing up character textures as they are a pain to work with) 
Once you've edited that .dds to have your desired texture, rename the file with .TEX on the end instead of .dds. (you'll need to have it show full file names before being able to do this, check your Windows settings)
If you've done it correctly, it should appear instantly in-game when you switch to the shirt.

Facetex and you
You're going to struggle with faces, though. What's wrong, you ask? Can't I just edit the \HEAD\ folder?
Take a look at \FACETEX\. This is how the game does animated faces. This does allow for far more customization, but it is a far more annoying process. (gotta edit the whole sheet of faces) I think there may be a static head or two in the game but I'm not sure. All facetex files are .TEX, aka .dds, so they're the same easy format to edit.

EDIT: Oh yeah, with faces, you have to edit both the static face in \HEAD\ and the \FACETEX\ of the minifigure in order for it to work properly.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

So just to be clear, you can only replace existing textures, right? Not add additional ones?

​I've never tried making custom characters, (as in, making a new listing and such) but it's possible it'd work.

I'll just point out that if a file isn't renamed to TEX again, or is otherwise invalidated so that the game can't find it, the game won't crash - rather it will simply replace the missing texture with a colour or another texture. At least this is what happened to me.

Have you found a way to modify individual parts' colours? For instance, when I changed a torso texture to a grey colour, the back of the torso piece was still in its original tan colour in-game so I had to modify a different torso of the same grey colour instead.

I'll just point out that if a file isn't renamed to TEX again, or is otherwise invalidated so that the game can't find it, the game won't crash - rather it will simply replace the missing texture with a colour or another texture. At least this is what happened to me.

Have you found a way to modify individual parts' colours? For instance, when I changed a torso texture to a grey colour, the back of the torso piece was still in its original tan colour in-game so I had to modify a different torso of the same grey colour instead.

​It's best to use Mummy to mod. Mummy has a front and back decal, along with both arms. (+ both legs) This will allow for you to mod all those parts.

I've changed the .dds files back to .TEX but when i try to use my edited textures my game crashes.

​Did you move all the folders that are inside the extracted GAME folder outside, so they are in the game's root folder?

No I have only edited 2 of the texture files for the mummy

​Did you change the file size? If you've changed in any way, or made them bigger/smaller than they were originally, it won't work.

• 1 month later...

Can I have some help? I wanted to change my characters head to red (for Spiderman) but it just stays the Mummy white color. Any help? 

Also: Facetex's are a pain in the ass.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.