Programs used?

Goraxes

Hi guys, Im a total n00b here with a question.

Just got lego worlds, and looking to mod a bit, not to much.  I see an assortment of posts that name different programs for specific things.  Is there a list of all the programs commonly used to mod the lego stuff or a tutorial site on it?

Thanks,
Goraxes

Fluffy Cupcake

*All programs listed in this post are free.

If you want to extract LEGO World's files, use QuickBMS (the linked post explains usage of extraction and how to use the extracted files).

Afterwards....

There are text files around you can poke at to change things. I recommend using Notepad++ or some other text editing program then the default ones that came with your OS.

For textures, SageThumbs can be used to have preview images of the .tex files in your file browser so you know what you're editing; Alternatively you can use IrfanView or XnView to view and convert the file individually so you can edit them. To make your own texture, simply save an image in .dds format and rename the file extension and it will work (I believe Neal was planning a tutorial on texture editing). See tutorial here: http://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/6577-texture-modding. Paint.NET or Gimp works for an editor. I use Paint.Net myself.

For sounds they either come in .wav (sfx) or .ogg (music). Both being common audio formats. I use audacity myself for all sound needs.

As for everything else, there isn't much we can do with them yet.

Regarding using GIMP, which I use myself for this, if you want to edit the textures you'll first need to install the DDS plugin.

​Tried this and...Did you have to do anything special to get it to work right? Followed the instructions it provided to a t and changed the file extensions on the textures, but I've had no luck getting GIMP to open the files. =O

You have the latest version of GIMP, right? If so, you need to put it in the software's plugins folder. For me it's located here, but it may be different for you:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Also, make sure you've downloaded the right version for your system type. I used 64-bit as I have a 64-bit computer. If you try one and it doesn't work, try the other.

Nah-ah, you're not giving up there are you? There must be some way to get the plugin working on your copy. Do you have any other plugins working in GIMP?

I've only the default plugins running on it. So it's basically a vanilla install of the latest version of GIMP. Tried 32/64bit versions of the plugin (running 64bit system), and renamed the files .dds and .DDS (despite it not mattering, but just in case) following the texture tutorial. The plugin itself works, mind, it simply doesn't open the renamed files. The only weird guess I might have is rebooting my system and seeing if that makes something click together right, but in case I can't work this out, I've got Paint.Net installed now for if I get the itch to adjust textures.

I just thought I'd ask since you mentioned it and from other shots, appear to have gotten it working, but I didn't want to turn this into a troubleshooting thread. =)

Do those same renamed textures open in Paint.NET then? I can't remember if Paint.NET had DDS compatibility as I haven't used it in a while. If you need an image to test it with besides LEGO Worlds' textures, try this (the download button is greyed out but you can press it, stupid Dropbox...).

EDIT: I just re-read your post, where you said that the plugin works. I'm a little stumped now. Just as a sample, have you tried this particular file which works for me?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\LEGO Worlds\CHARS\SUPER_CHARACTER_TEXTURE\BODY\BODY_EXPLORER_M_FRONT_NXG.TEX

Had to go do some other stuff...Anywho, so I gave the download a go...It worked. Gave the BODY_EXPLORER_M_FRONT_NXG.TEX a go...And still nothing.

Okay, holy crap this is nitpicky...So, I decided to move the file to a different directory (in this case, my desktop because lazy) and tried to open it from there...This time it worked. I don't know why, but at least on my end, I can't open these with GIMP in the original directory e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\LEGO® Worlds\CHARS\SUPER_CHARACTER_TEXTURE\BODY. Even moving that a level up, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\LEGO® Worlds\CHARS\SUPER_CHARACTER_TEXTURE\, doesn't resolve it.

...I think I've narrowed it down to the fact that there's that ® trademark character in the filepath. I can put the file almost anywhere else on my PC and it will open, just not there. Hope they get around to removing that entirely, if they can, because I feel like that's causing them more trouble than it's worth.

Onegreatrace

Had to go do some other stuff...Anywho, so I gave the download a go...It worked. Gave the BODY_EXPLORER_M_FRONT_NXG.TEX a go...And still nothing.

Okay, holy crap this is nitpicky...So, I decided to move the file to a different directory (in this case, my desktop because lazy) and tried to open it from there...This time it worked. I don't know why, but at least on my end, I can't open these with GIMP in the original directory e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\LEGO® Worlds\CHARS\SUPER_CHARACTER_TEXTURE\BODY. Even moving that a level up, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\LEGO® Worlds\CHARS\SUPER_CHARACTER_TEXTURE\, doesn't resolve it.

...I think I've narrowed it down to the fact that there's that ® trademark character in the filepath. I can put the file almost anywhere else on my PC and it will open, just not there. Hope they get around to removing that entirely, if they can, because I feel like that's causing them more trouble than it's worth.

​That is infact the case. I renamed my directory without the copyright, Steam still launches it.

That, or there's an issue with administrative privileges. I guess you could test it by creating a folder on your desktop featuring that trademark symbol and seeing if there are any issues?

Also, I'm intrigued as to why your file path even had that when mine didn't... Ah well, I'm glad you've got it sorted out!

That, or there's an issue with administrative privileges. I guess you could test it by creating a folder on your desktop featuring that trademark symbol and seeing if there are any issues?

Also, I'm intrigued as to why your file path even had that when mine didn't... Ah well, I'm glad you've got it sorted out!

​My copy never updated for the fix they issued, and I never forced it via their instructions (since it wasn't causing any issues for me in running the game), so that's probably why. I think part of the fix was simply removing that character for affected users. =)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.