(Windows 10) Game crashes after loading screens when entering a level

Phoenyx

First off, you may remember me from a while back. I had no trouble running the game on Windows 7.

Anyway, I'm able to get the game to run and everything, up until entering any of the levels. When I try to click on a level, the loading screen appears and everything goes smoothly up until the game finishes loading. At that point, I get a CTD with no errors.

I have the game set to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 with reduced color mode (16-bit), disable screen scaling and run as administrator enabled. I've also reconfigured the cfg to disable AVIs and I have everything running WADless (WADs unpacked, and the contents in a folder labeled Data).

My system specs are in my profile. Do note that they haven't changed since last time, apart from drivers and, well, Windows 10.

EDIT: Ok... I found something interesting...

There's a program out there called 3D-Analyze. It's basically a GPU emulator that runs off the system RAM and CPU. Since I have a pretty beefy system in those categories, I may have found my ticket to getting LRR to work again. I'll test it out and report back.

Here's a link if you want to check the program out. http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/download/

EDIT2: Ended up with a "File does not exist" error when attempting to run the game via 3D Analyze. However, hardware emulation may be a step in the right direction. I just need to find a GPU emulator that functions as a display adapter rather than a high-level program.

Edited by Phoenyx
Never mind. Didn't work.

Well, I guess I'll probably have to take the expensive way out. I've been talking with an AMD technician, and they kept insisting that the Windows 10 insider preview doesn't exist and that I needed to revert to Windows 7. Well, I'm not going to take that kind of garbage from a company. I guess I'm switching to nVidia.

Or u wait till Windows 10 is released in one month and have another chat with them at the end of July. Maybe certain parts of Windows 10 are still being changed, which might solve any problems, though I doubt it will. I have always been told, if the program works on Windows 7 or 8, it will also work on Windows 10. Are u using a recent version of the Windows 10 Technical Preview?

Or u wait till Windows 10 is released in one month and have another chat with them at the end of July. Maybe certain parts of Windows 10 are still being changed, which might solve any problems, though I doubt it will. I have always been told, if the program works on Windows 7 or 8, it will also work on Windows 10. Are u using a recent version of the Windows 10 Technical Preview?

​Thanks for the advice, but I've independently narrowed it down to a driver issue. The most recent AMD drivers lack legacy support. Besides, I got a second reply that basically boiled down to "here's an FAQ, now brick off".

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.