Hello!

Tacku

Hello, Rock Raiders United community.

I've been on-and-off lurking these forums for a while, and decided to join. I used to be fairly active on BZPower under the username "Tacku" too. I'm a fan of classic LEGO video games, particularly LEGO IslandLEGO Racers, and LEGO Alpha Team.

So, hello to all of you! :af:

PS: By the way... yes, I am the same Tacku who made the not-so-good LEGO Island fangame...

Welcome! Followed your LEGO Island 3 topic back in the day with great interest, even though my parents wouldn't let me download it to play. It may not be fantastic but it's an interesting part of the history of LEGO Island.

Edited by Pereki

Hullo there, and welcome to RRU.

...What was everyone else expecting a vivid long welcome? I couldn't think up one!

• Like 2

lol username

Hah, didn't expect this. You're responsible for getting me into the LEGO community beyond the message boards, and getting me into making gamey thingies.

Oh geez that was six years ago.

• Like 2

Six years?!?! Expletive redacted, how time flies...

By the way, the Legos in Space series might be the greatest thing ever. I know you made three of them already, but you should really make a fourth and call it Legos in Space 3.

• Like 1

lol username

I did do this thing as a fourth, but it's not really a game.

Then again I'm not sure the others are either...

Edit: I just got the joke you made now. Three hours later. I feel dumb. :P

Edited by jamesster
  • Like 3

Shadowblaze

Hello, Tacku, and welcome to RRU! Remember to dodge all the brown wigs falling from the sky on your way to the RRU Tower. It is unclear yet why these downfalls happen around the tower, but as of now you'll have to deal with it.

Quisoves Potoo

Well knock me down and call me deconstructed!

Your game has provided much merriment, albeit of an unintended sort, so thank you!

Kudos for your humility!

Enjoy your stay here, and watch out for the sheep!

Oh, and have a potoo!
tumblr_nch97q4saS1tvok3do1_500.jpg

Your game has provided much merriment, albeit of an unintended sort, so thank you!

​Thanks, I think...

And thanks for the potoo!

Hello! Hola! Velkommen! Bienvenue! Konichiwa... Aloha! How ya doin'? Yo! And in ANY language you choose,

WELCOME TO ROCK RAIDERS UNITED!

(What else are you expecting me to type? A certificate accepting you into Grammar-Nazis Inc? Well sorry, but those have to be earned. l405G.jpg (Or given out on a whim from your nearest representative, but that's another case entirely l405G.jpg)

That said, I do wish to point out the smiley I have used twice. It is considerably out-of-character with the modern =P (I refuse to type that abomination (*cue edit war between me and mods* l405G.jpg) but it is far more appreciable.

Long live the old tongue!

The "memory issues" you're referring to were more hard drive issues. In late 2009 (an era of history when America still had a space shuttle program and the whole world was petrified of swine flu), I made the upgrade from Mac OS X Leopard to Mac OS X Snow Leopard. As I recall correctly, Snow Leopard's file system was a bit different from Leopard's. This caused the internal files for the LEGO Island 3 project to become corrupted. That's why I stopped at Build 15 and started to release Build 15.X. They were incremental releases as I rebuilt the project and refactored old code, redrew some textures, etc. I never made much progress after Build 15.5, though.

I do not imagine working on the LEGO Island 3 project I started in late 2008. However y'all might be interested in learning this...

In July-ish 2012, I started from scratch (again) on a totally new LEGO Island-related project. It's plot would roughly follow LEGO Island 3's but with almost completely different gameplay:

• Far less combat. So much of the old LEGO Island 3 was throwing pizzas at people and killing them. That's a little dark, don't you think?
  • Instead of combat, the game would have focused on Pepper collecting LEGO bricks (like the ones in Island Xtreme Stunts) and using those bricks to design solutions to puzzles, vehicles, and defensive structures. These bricks would have also been the game's currency. You'd spend them to rebuild LEGO Island.
  • More exploration. The game would have featured a totally open world (the one exception being taking a spacecraft to OGEL Prime for the final boss). In the proof-of-concept demo I created, you could take a jet ski and explore the entire Phanta Sea (which was only populated with LEGO Island and LEGO City, but still).
  • No more SS LEGO Island. LEGO Island itself is now the game's home base and hub. 
  • Improved graphics.

This game probably would have been called Return to LEGO Island.

Haven't worked on it since September 2012. I'd like to finish it, but I probably won't because it's a lot of work for one person. I might release the source files to my old LEGO Island-related projects in the future, though. They're on a backup drive somewhere -- I'll have to find it.

Edited by Tacku

If I were ever to work on another über-ambitious project, it would have to be with a team. Making a game on the scale of a LEGO Island title is too much work for a single person. There's a reason why the only games made by one guy are the ones like Flappy Bird. The good news is that software version control is now easier to use and more readily available than ever thanks to GitHub.

I'll have to look into the .LXF to .OBJ converter. Back in 2012, I was working on a .LDR to .OBJ converter. I got the basics down, I was able to read an LDraw file and export basic models (albeit with horrible surface normals). The "dream" was to create a model converter that would simplify the geometry by removing studs hidden under bricks, merging bricks together, that sort of thing. A "desirement" feature would also be to generate textures for the model based on the brick patterns.

might resume/restart work on that LDraw to OBJ converter/simplifier. I think that would be a great tool for the community.

MaelstromIslander

edit:1 i a while ago once managed to get a far away few from starship lego island with a 3d object copying tool how come the was a square and a circle?

Likely a model test like the Utah Teapot or just a strange thing like the Da Vinci Egg.

On terms of a team, i could help (As a loyal LEGO Island (1) fan, i could be useful for character designs, maybe some writing elements, concept art, etc.). Wes Jenkins as i've heard wants to work on another LEGO Island game. Maybe you could ask him? You'd have the clever writing of LI1 on your side, and thats just an opportunity you can't not take. :P

Also, i looked at the LI3 wiki Infomaniac page... "Mega Bloks" wars?

Brikman McBlubber

I'm not much of a welcome person as I mostly lurk RRU, but it's nice to see you around the LEGO fan community again. Like jamesster, your various LEGO Island projects (the movie, LI3) brought me into the larger LEGO online community.

Quisoves Potoo

I'm not much of a welcome person as I mostly lurk RRU,

That hardly makes you unwelcome. The last time I checked, RRU had no prejudice against lurkers. Tis' a perfectly legitimate occupation.

Brikman McBlubber

I supposed I worded it wrong. I meant as in welcoming him to the site because I don't participate much in discussion. I don't feel unwelcome, don't worry. :thumbsup:

On terms of a team, i could help (As a loyal LEGO Island (1) fan, i could be useful for character designs, maybe some writing elements, concept art, etc.).

If (that's a big if) I decide to get involved with making another game, I'd love your help. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Remember what happened the last time I tried to make a LEGO Island sequel? =P

I'm not much of a welcome person as I mostly lurk RRU, but it's nice to see you around the LEGO fan community again. Like jamesster, your various LEGO Island projects (the movie, LI3) brought me into the larger LEGO online community.

​Great to see you, Brickman!

I know you said about possibly getting help IF you plan to make a new project, but should you wish me to I can help with creation as a concept artist (specifically something LEGO-based or simple geographic styled) or art design, although this'll lean on two things; 1. the fact you say you may or may not make a new project and 2. it depends on the scale of any planned project.

My first response to this topic was "Holy crap, Tacku's alive." I was all over that LEGO Island 3 game you worked on back in the day.

Anyway, welcome to RRU. Even though we don't exactly have a Pants Enforcer proper anymore, the article of clothing is pretty much required in these parts. As well, there's a lot of us who have experience and know-how with projects like what you did in the past (knowing you already mentioned jamesster's LEGOS IN SPACE series. Truly a masterpiece).

Sit back, bask in the green glow of the energy crystals, and enjoy the forums!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.