Return To Planet U Megathread

Redacted

I haven't put alot of action into the lighting. Will make light tubes as in the cutscenes A.S.A.P and color them a bit yellow :)

• 2 months later...
MaelstromIslander

Gosh, this thing is far more glorious than I remember.

Also, I noticed that you are modelling the LMS Explorer... Perhaps you could ask Arthuriel for help? He created a pretty accurate LMS Explorer model (Well... It was originally built in LDD but then it was converted to a Povray model) which I'm assuming has an interior other than the control room.

I recommended Pascal my ldr-file, that in uploaded in the new RRU Uploader (okay: not that new, but that website is ~1 year old). There is only one problem (maybe he found it anyway): I don't know, if that Uploader still exists and even if it does: the link in the thread, where Cyrem/Grapheme presented the new Uploader, is broken: http://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/6145-improved-uploader/#comment-108687 You can find the file here in this list: http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/database/1

Actually the process of recreating and making pictures of the L.M.S. Explorer was longer and a bit more confusing:

-started out in LDD (and made the mistake of only using two or three videos in 240p youtube quality as the only source material instead of asking for LEGO Magazine stuff on RRU (people told me about other source material after I made the thread on RRU).

-ran into limits in LDD

-restarted in LeoCAD

-almost finished it (LeoCAD was sooo slow in the end, that I didn't add the teleporter and corrected mistakes, because I had enough of the low speed)

-recolored it in MLCAD

-prepared a scene in LDView

-this scene was exported to POVRay

-rendered it in POVRay

Note: The model has flaws (some parts should have two different greys instead of one, missing back part on the bridge, missing teleporter, other errors...) and only the bridge room exists in it and that one looks rather bad, because some parts didn't exist in LeoCAD back then ("back in my days..."). In that case I recommend my separate bridge model, that I made in LDD, which looks actually good. You can find pictures in the L.M.S. Explorer thread or on my mocpages account (with downloadable lxf file), but you need some luck since mocpages.com doesn't always work: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/360946

If you want too see another room of the L.M.S. Explorer, I recommend you to talk to Sadie since is/was working on the hangar room (you can find pictures on the fifth page of the L.M.S. Explorer thread).

Edited by Arthuriel

Hey people! Thanks for thinking about me! I actually contacted Arthuriel about it a while ago!

I don't really need a 1:1 scale LMS with interior. It would simply be to big to render in one scene.

I only need the outside of the ship, simply for the renders outside of the LMS.

Gahh... I really want to see this project finished :o

MaelstromIslander

Hey people! Thanks for thinking about me! I actually contacted Arthuriel about it a while ago!

I don't really need a 1:1 scale LMS with interior. It would simply be to big to render in one scene.

I only need the outside of the ship, simply for the renders outside of the LMS.

Gahh... I really want to see this project finished :o

If you need a skybox object version, then I suggest the 1:8 model. It might be easier for the game to render.

Also, I have a few questions about RtPU:

1. Will you play as the Rock Raiders characters, a custom cast of characters, or just a normal generic Rock Raider? (If they returned a generation later, then I assume the either one of the latter)

2. Will there be guns other than the blaster?

3. Will there be vehicles and multiplayer?

4. Will there be traditional LRR elements, like an oxygen bar?

5. Will there be bosses, and does this game have an anagonist/final boss?

Those are my (overly specific) questions as of now. :P

Edited by MaelstromIslander

1. Will you play as the Rock Raiders characters, a custom cast of characters, or just a normal generic Rock Raider? (If they returned a generation later, then I assume the either one of the latter)

2. Will there be guns other than the blaster?

3. Will there be vehicles and multiplayer?

4. Will there be traditional LRR elements, like an oxygen bar?

5. Will there be bosses, and does this game have an anagonist/final boss?

Those are my (overly specific) questions as of now. :P

Heheh, I was hoping for someone to ask these things.

1) All the original Rock Raiders will be playable, all with their own storyline. In some missions, your actions from one character, will be seen on the other character! Also apart from the main characters there will be side characters. For an example, during a mission, the communication between the ship and you are suddenly cut of because of a broken antenna. You will be able to play as an optional character, an engineer for instance, to do a mission to fix the antenna.

2) There will be, just have to figure out some stuff that fits the theme (ideas are welcome).

3) Yipyip vehicles, yipyip multiplayer (I had some plans for the multiplayer, but I have to think it out a bit more).

4) Yeah ofcourse, I will make it feel as much as the original game as possible, but with a little bit less RTS (RTS will still come if you play as a commander(optional character)).

5) Imagine a Rock Monster. Now imagine a snake like rockmonster. Now imagine that 10 times bigger, in a lava lake, spewing lava at you. That kind of stuff :P

Just a couple of things that are coming :)

Also, thanks for the tip of the 1:8 ship. I only need it for a couple of cutscenes. When you play as the optional engineer and repair stuff out of the ship I'll just model that on my own.

Edited by Pascal
  • Like 1

MaelstromIslander

There will be, just have to figure out some stuff that fits the theme (ideas are welcome)

http://www.rockraidersunited.com/mediawiki-1.23.5/index.php?title=Weapons

http://www.rockraidersunited.com/mediawiki-1.23.5/index.php?title=Mining_Tools

Some of the mining tools like shovels, drills, hammers, and spanners can be used as melee weapons (but what kind of rock raider would attempt to fight a slimy slug with a spanner? :P)

You also have Dynamite and Jetpacks, which should obviously be included. You could also include weapons that are usually mounted on vehicles (I.E. Small Drills)

Also, this:

large.rrweapon.png.2fa3bf5de83f7b8281be7

Thanks for the ideas! Also, A new humid biome is coming.. A jungle like biome with these neutral unknown aliens!

JjKseS4.png

note to self: debug weird alien model.

Edited by Pascal
  • Like 1

MaelstromIslander

Wow, i was just about to suggest you add the aliens from the early concept art... The cyclops imp would be a neato enemy for the game, but it looks like the model is uhm... Broken. :P

Hmm, maybe you could also add those alien allies of the rock raiders too? You probably won't get anywhere by staring at the concept art, so i suggest you use this clearer image Lair made:

gallery_47_16_26994.png

The model itself isn't broken, only the skeleton model :P I'll probably remake all of the monster models that I have at the moment.

It also looks like you have some pretty good ideas, maybe we could work a bit together to add some content to the game!

Do you have Skype? Or could you else PM me?

Thanks! :)

More notes to self: Remove cadet from ceiling

wTtuV3Q.png

Edited by Pascal

MaelstromIslander

It also looks like you have some pretty good ideas, maybe we could work a bit together to add some content to the game!

Well, all I truly have is ideas: I can't model or code. I've tried before, watching blender tutorial videos and taking about, what, three coding courses I think? It just never stuck to me. But hey, at least I have anything at all, and decent enough drawing skills (Actually have some concept art of a flamethrower floating around but I sort of dropped it after I learned the laser beam is most effective against ice monsters. You can still have it if you want, though.)

Do you have Skype? Or could you else PM me?

I don't have Skype, so I'll just PM you. However I don't have many ideas to really speak of other than the flamethrower. I'll get back to you when I've got something to talk about. :P 

More notes to self: Remove cadet from ceiling

wTtuV3Q.png

This reminds me of something...

8lDofnF.png

Edit: for some reason i still find that joke clever despite it being awful...

Edited by someswedish
  • Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Edit: for some reason i still find that joke clever despite it being awful...

That joke sounds very much like my younger self.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

RtPu 2010.PNG

This was RtPu 6 years ago when it was still called LRR-FPS. I feel old now, and slightly ashamed.

Edited by Pascal

This was RtPu 6 years ago when it was still called LRR-FPS. I feel old now, and slightly ashamed.

Haha, well, that should show you you've improved. There's always room for improvement.

MaelstromIslander

He's definitely improved. :P I've been waiting a while now for him to post another update. Even though we're not posting, that doesn't mean we're not following the project.

Oh yes... By the way, I've been reading some of the LRR books, and I noticed that the book, "Race for Survival", actually takes place after they left, they just came back for research purposes. Perhaps you could work some parts of it into RtPU? Although if you already have a detailed, 30 page long storyline then that's fine too. :P

• Like 1

I actually did not know about that book, so you have a digital version of it? Not a lot of storyline has been written on paper, but alot of it is thought out :)

MaelstromIslander

I actually did not know about that book, so you have a digital version of it? Not a lot of storyline has been written on paper, but alot of it is thought out :)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=545877

Ignore the educational bits. It's not very long, but I'm sure you can find a way to elongate it into a full-fledged game.

• Like 2

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=545877

Ignore the educational bits. It's not very long, but I'm sure you can find a way to elongate it into a full-fledged game.

Will look at it this evening! thanks man :)

Fluffy Cupcake

The old version was on the Wolf3D engine? Lol. Well, you've gotta start somewhere I suppose. It's nice to know this thing has a history.

The old version was on the Wolf3D engine? Lol. Well, you've gotta start somewhere I suppose. It's nice to know this thing has a history.

Yeah, I didn't know a thing about programming. Found out how to edit the textures. After this I went to the Doom engine, and I still have the first chapter of that version, and oh boy it sucked. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.