Rock Raiders trouble in Windows 7 64-bit

SMLC

Hey all!

So I am trying to move to a newer and better computer after about 5 years with the same old desktop. I had played through RR on the old desktop, and absolutely loved it. Great game, this is.

So I'm trying to reinstall and run it on the new computer (a laptop). Being a much better machine (which runs evey other graphic-intensive game about 50% better than my old desktop) you'd think it would run RR better, right?

Actually, you wouldn't, 'cause you've probably seen every RR glitch in the universe. :satisfied:

So it's not working properly.  :S  Here's the details:

1. The game does start. The "falling rocks" effect on the game menus is extremely laggy, and shows up as white translucent polygons.

2. All the movies work fine, but the game crashes when I try to start a level.

I am only able to start the game directly from the LegoRR.exe, by selecting RGB Emulation. Any other method crashes the game. I have it set to Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, and Set to Run as Administrator. No other compatibility settings are on, I tried them and they crashed the game.

My computer is a Windows 7 64-bit machine, with AMD A6-6310 APU and Radeon R4 integrated graphics. It has 8 GB of RAM

Now, I've heard that RR doesn't like AMD cards. The wierd thing is that my old machine had an AMD Sempron 145 and AMD Readeon HD 4200 integrated graphics (truly base-level hardware) with 3.5 GB of RAM and Rock Raiders ran very nicely. No problems on that machine, save the d3drm.dll error (easily fixed).

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks!

Edit:

Okay, I've had a breakthrough of sorts: Using CLGen, I switched the card to Voodoo2 (haven't tried Savage yet, anyone think that would help?).

This made the "falling rocks" show up properly (a little low resolution, but they're obviously rocks now). Also, levels start properly now! :D

However, still a big problem: immense lag. The "falling rocks" still lag the menu screens a ton, and the levels lag so as to be nearly unplayable. Motion on the menus (even the little main menu animations) and movies play lag-free.

Also, forgive me for not mentioning this before: I did investigate running it in windowed mode. However, upon trying to select that option, the "OK" button is greyed out and the small windows says that no compatible devices can be found (or something like that, sorry if this is not specific.)

Any help here, please?

Fluffy Cupcake

AMD? Lag? Textureless landslide rocks? I've had these symptoms. This solved all my problems, see if it helps you:

Just out of question; have you tried reducing the computers bit colour to 16 or 32-Bit? Wether it works or not, remember to reset to default 64-Bit after you are done with LRR.

On 4/18/2015 at 3:19 PM, Ben24x7 said:

Just out of question; have you tried reducing the computers bit colour to 16 or 32-Bit? Wether it works or not, remember to reset to default 64-Bit after you are done with LRR.

The operating system is 64 bit, not the graphics colour depth. The colour depth is probably set to 32 bit (the maximum, I think...). :P

On 4/18/2015 at 3:19 PM, Ben24x7 said:

On 4/18/2015 at 7:59 PM, mumboking said:
The operating system is 64 bit, not the graphics colour depth. The colour depth is probably set to 32 bit (the maximum, I think...). :P

Yes, I've tried setting it from 32-bit color to 16-bit color. Unfortunately, as they say, no dice. :(

Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

On 4/18/2015 at 10:49 AM, Xiron said:

AMD? Lag? Textureless landslide rocks? I've had these symptoms. This solved all my problems, see if it helps you:

I will try rolling back to the 13.1 drivers and get back to you. Thanks a ton! :)

EDIT:

All right, I've run into a problem. I can't find those drivers anywhere. The link in the topic is dead.

EDIT AGAIN:

Okay, I found that my current driver for the Radeon R4 card is version 13.351.

I think that might mean that rolling back wouldn't do much. Not sure, though.

Does anyone else have a different fix for this problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Try forcing your laptop to use integrated graphics instead of the GPU? I don't have any AMD hardware so I can't test for you, but I can say that it improved things when I did that on my old Intel/Nvidia laptop. Running LRR with the GPU caused it to stutter, but integrated graphics worked perfectly.

Try forcing your laptop to use integrated graphics instead of the GPU? I don't have any AMD hardware so I can't test for you, but I can say that it improved things when I did that on my old Intel/Nvidia laptop. Running LRR with the GPU caused it to stutter, but integrated graphics worked perfectly.

​Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how to do that. Do I need to enter the BIOS?

Also, is there a way to set it so that only RR uses integrated graphics? I do want to run everything else with my GPU (the GPU is better than integrated... right?)

You'd have to go into the Catalyst Control Center to do something like that. Again, I don't have any AMD hardware right now so I can't give you step-by-step directions. It's probably under your Control Panel.

You'd have to go into the Catalyst Control Center to do something like that. Again, I don't have any AMD hardware right now so I can't give you step-by-step directions. It's probably under your Control Panel.

​I have tried this. Just now I looked thoroughly through Catalyst - nothing. Sorry, I'm sure your solution makes sense, but no one online seems to know how to do it with AMD.

Besides, actually I revise my earlier statement about my hardware - the Radeon R4 is essentially integrated graphics. It just gets the name APU sometimes, on account of the way it's integrated with the CPU.

So... no dice, as they say? :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.