LSR developer needs your help (getting to run the game again)

k-g

Hello there!

I'm one of the original developers of LSR, and I found this site while looking for a way to get the game running on my PC again. 

Before I post my question, let me say I'm really chuffed to see so much enthusiasm for this old game. I've seen some really cool stuff on this forum. I'll happily chime in on some of the posts with some development trivia. I should also have some development artwork lying around which I'm guessing will interest you too. :)

Anyway, I'm trying to get the game to run on Windows 7, 64-bit. I saw another thread about getting it to run on Windows 7, and I followed the instructions there, but still no luck.

I've not been able to run the installer properly. After clicking the install button, the buttons go grey and nothing happens after that. 

So I tried extracting the cab files using the Universal Extractor, and so I've got _msr.exe and all the rest. When I ran that, I received an error about MOTO.rtb missing from c:\windows\system32. After copying the file there (and rebooting), I no longer get the error. However, when starting _msr.exe now, I get the splash screen, then a black screen, and then the game crashes and I'm back in Windows. 

I'd be very grateful if you can help me out, and I can get the game running again.

Many thanks in advance.

KG

I know what I'll be starting in the next few hours: finishing this. :D

I have some manual instructions for installing your the game, but I'm on mobile and can't talk. :(

Welcome to RRU! :D  It is always nice and an honor for a game dev for these old games we enjoy grace our membership. I look forward to your trivia and artwork. :)

Thanks le717! I already saw the link to your installer on github, but I couldn't work out what to do with it (if anything). 

lol username

Hey, welcome! Try making a shortcut to _msr.exe and adding the /FROMLAUNCHER parameter, so the target of the shortcut is something like this (or wherever you installed it to):

"C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaLEGO Stunt Rally_msr.exe" /FROMLAUNCHER

If I remove /FROMLAUNCHER or launch directly from _msr.exe without any parameters, I get the same results that you described - splash screen, black screen, back to windows. (Though I'm not sure if it's crashing or just refusing to run itself without that parameter for whatever reason...)

On 3/8/2015 at 11:10 PM, k-g said:

Before I post my question, let me say I'm really chuffed to see so much enthusiasm for this old game. I've seen some really cool stuff on this forum. I'll happily chime in on some of the posts with some development trivia. I should also have some development artwork lying around which I'm guessing will interest you too. :)

Oooooh, yes please. :D

A couple questions if you don't mind: What ever happened to the PS1 version? Also, would you happen to have more early character designs like these?

Also, did you work on Loco, or just Stunt Rally? We do stuff with Loco too: http://www.rockraidersunited.com/forum/171-loco/

Hi Jamesster, thanks for your post.

The /FROMLAUNCHER worked (in ALLCAPS only, by the way), but I managed to break the game by trying to set the resolution to 800x600. Oops. >.<

Now the game runs, but it doesn't display anything. I can hear the sound of the intro video playing, and I see a minimized icon in my tray. Clicking it shown a black screen for a moment, and then it returns to Windows. Is there any way to revert back to 640x480 outside of the game, like editing or deleting a config file? (I suppose I could try a "re-install", although technically I didn't install the game. The only file I saw changing was MOTO.rtb, but reverting that to an earlier version didn't help).

Also, while I had the game running, it ran in what I guess was Danish. If I can get the game running again, how can I change that?

>In response to your questions: Yes, I worked on Loco too. I can tell you a few things about the LSR PS1 version, but I'll save that for a separate post/thread if you don't mind. :)I've started looking through my old files and found a few fun things already. Stay tuned. :D

• Like 3

lol username

This might sound weird at first, but if you weren't running it as an administrator before (Right click on _msr.exe or the shortcut > Properties > Compatibility tab > "Run this program as an administrator" check box), do that. Then try launching it, maybe it'll be back in 640x480.

(I'm sure you know how to run programs as admin and all that, I'm just being thorough in case anybody else with similar problems come across this thread later)

The game saves stuff to the registry. If you run it as an administrator, it should be under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeLEGO MediaLEGO Stunt Rally" (that's where it is for me, anyway). But if you aren't running it as an admin, it's saved to some other weird path I'm not sure of. I'm thinking that maybe if you run as admin, when it uses the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE path, it'll have the default values in there instead of your customized options, which were saved in the VirtualStore or whatever it is...

If it didn't go back to 640x480 while running as admin (or you were already running as admin when you changed the resolution), open up regedit, go to that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE path I mentioned earlier, and change "Resolution" to 0. (0 is 640x480, 1 is 800x600.)

t4Cieih.png

On 3/9/2015 at 10:44 PM, k-g said:

Also, while I had the game running, it ran in what I guess was Danish. If I can get the game running again, how can I change that?

Uuuuhhh... I'm not sure. Mine is only in English. Maybe you could swap out the SPEECH0001 and TEXT0001 RFD/RFH files in the res folder for English ones? Here's mine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1gss71aw9610ek/LSR%20English%20Files.zip?dl=0

On 3/9/2015 at 10:44 PM, k-g said:

>In response to your questions: Yes, I worked on Loco too. I can tell you a few things about the LSR PS1 version, but I'll save that for a separate post/thread if you don't mind. :) I've started looking through my old files and found a few fun things already. Stay tuned. :D

Looking forward to it. :D

• Like 2

Car CrazeXVI
On 3/10/2015 at 4:17 AM, jamesster said:

But if you aren't running it as an admin, it's saved to some other weird path I'm not sure of.

It gets written to and read from HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClassesVirtualStore.

On 3/10/2015 at 4:17 AM, jamesster said:

... I'm not sure. Mine is only in English.Mine can be installed in Danish and English, and probably various other languages, but cannot be changed after it's installed. Interesting!

While we're at it, I found this a year or so ago. Is it yours? Oh no no no of course not that would be too easy. Well, have you seen this before?

lol username

But if you aren't running it as an admin, it's saved to some other weird path I'm not sure of.

It gets dupe'd to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClassesVirtualStore.

I've got that but I've also got two more VirtualStore-related entries besides that, both of them under HKEY_USERS, for a total of four entries. Wasn't sure which of the three VirtualStore-related keys it was using when not running as admin, didn't need to test it as I did know which one it uses while running as admin.

Car CrazeXVI
On 3/10/2015 at 9:04 AM, jamesster said:

I've got that but I've also got two more VirtualStore-related entries besides that, both of them under HKEY_USERS, for a total of four entries. Wasn't sure which of the three VirtualStore-related keys it was using when not running as admin, didn't need to test it as I did know which one it uses while running as admin.

Huh. I didn't notice that. Double interesting!

Hi Jamesster - thanks very much for the help! Changing the res in the registry and installing your files for the English voice and text worked! Thanks a lot!

Now I remember Mr X's frequent interruptions, haha. "Turning me off, hmmm?"

@CarCraze: I'm someone else, but I know him & his work very well as we worked very closely together. The teams for these games were tiny! :)

Anyway, you all may have seen this as well: http://www.videogamesartist.com

?

(PS: I'm really busy this week so it will be a few days before I can post some of the old artwork/stories. Sorry to keep you waiting!)

lol username

Hey, one other thing - one of our members WillKirkby was toying around with reverse engineering some Stunt Rally file formats a while back. While poking through some stuff last night I found a little wireframe image of a model he posted on Skype:

k1kLZw2.png

Would you happen to know anything that could make modding this game easier?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.