LR2 .exe Editor

RobExplorien

See this?: 

Apparently that Canadian likes to work on a low level when it comes to editing the game, but do you all like those hexadecimal representations and doing a game of trial-and-error just to satisfy your needs of changing game content? If you do, escape this topic right now, if you don't, then you might not be too lazy to download the following...

The LR2 Hex Editor is exactly what it says, it manipulates the LEGO Racers 2 executable by altering the hexadecimals of the file. Only this time you don't have to look inside the file and view the raw data, the program does all the editing for you. By using the data that Xiron gathered (see the topic linked to) you can manipulate the contents of the file yourself by just selecting an item like amount of laps in time trial or minifigure running speed and then enter a 'human-readable' value like a decimal number to change the current selected code to. Though be sure to close the program to make all changes go active.

Xiron has also made a patch to go along with this release that you can install onto your executable to change game content in one go. The readme included in the download explains more on how to achieve this. You can also make your own patches by first altering the items to your likings and then add the items you changed to a patch you will name.

The links below directs you to a mighty deposit of ores, crystals and Java-stuff. The .zip included contains files that should be kept together in their folder in order to have the program not complain about 'missing this' or 'couldn't open that'. The only thing you need to add to the folder is your "LEGO Racers 2.exe". I'm not a well-versed GUI programmer at this moment so the magic happens in the console. Also, since this is the very first time I'm distributing a Java-written program I had some troubles trying to execute the runnable by simply clicking on it. For now you will have to issue a command in the console to start the program (see readme). If the program does not run (or something else goes weird), there is a log file that logs the program activity and errors, so you might want to consult that if things don't work right away. I'm pretty sure there are still good ways to break the program, but be nice to it, don't pick on him just because it's new to you.

Download: http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/219 (comes with custom patch, contains...)

Powerups respawn after 5 seconds instead of 14 seconds.
Sandy Bay Bonus Games have been made more difficult (tested by Xiron).
Changed camera distance while using Brick Boost.
Decreased the wait for countdown to start.

Source (Eclipse IDE project): http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/220

tl;dr: editing executable in a more user-friendly way, comes with a patch Xiron made to quickly install altered game content

Edited by RobExplorien

Fluffy Cupcake

Here is a patch that removes the 5 lap cap limit on arcade races, and it also allows you to go down to 0 laps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yb6it03w1oiscq4/ArcadeLapsCapRemoval.pdat?dl=0

I didn't intend it to be this way, forcing you to use this program by not releasing information and making the offset patch exclusive. So why did I do this? Because the offset is super sensitive [assembly instructions!] and not even I fully understand how it works, there are bytes all over related to this function not even in this specific area, it isn't a float or integer, and the tiniest wrong change can break your game!

Edit: Second patch exclusive.

Disable Player/NPC Rainbow & Yellow Shield Flash!

http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/223

Oh hey, that's a pretty useful tool! Thanks, Rob. :)

EDIT: I can't get it to work. I tried to run the .jar with the command prompt, but it doesn't even get the command right. And yes, I've put the correct path in.

EDIT: I can't get it to work. I tried to run the .jar with the command prompt, but it doesn't even get the command right. And yes, I've put the correct path in.

Hmm, command not right? How do you navigate to your path (from the start)? Does the console tell you anything when you enter it? And I haven't thought about this when distributing (if or if it won't matter), but is your Java version up to date?

Fluffy Cupcake

Try either cd "PATHTOFOLDER" or shift + right click and press "open command window here" before typing in java -jar LR2_hexEdit.jar. That's what I have to do, because I can't figure out how to get the first C:[path-to-folder] to work in the command.

because I can't figure out how to get the first C:[path-to-folder] to work in the command.

That is not a command, I only added it to make sure you understand to first navigate to the right directory.

Hmm, command not right? How do you navigate to your path (from the start)? Does the console tell you anything when you enter it? And I haven't thought about this when distributing (if or if it won't matter), but is your Java version up to date?

The console tells me that "-jar" is not a valid command, and yes, my Java version is ok.

The console tells me that "-jar" is not a valid command, and yes, my Java version is ok.

I'm guessing that your OS doesn't know where to look for the right executables to run the .jar. I see that you're a Windows user, so go to the Control Panel --> System and Security --> System --> Advanced System Settings (at your left) and then click on Environment Variables. In the box with system variables, look for the variable Path. Now before you tamper with the value, do not remove anything from it. In the least you must add something to the value (separate different paths with a semicolon). In order for your system to be able to locate the necessary executables, there needs to be a path specified in the value. It should be something along the lines of C:Program FilesJava[your current Java Runtime Environment (jre)]bin;. Now I'm wondering, if you got something similar?

This is why I'm trying to wrap the .jar in a 'simple' click-it executable.

I'm guessing that your OS doesn't know where to look for the right executables to run the .jar. I see that you're a Windows user, so go to the Control Panel --> System and Security --> System --> Advanced System Settings (at your left) and then click on Environment Variables. In the box with system variables, look for the variable Path. Now before you tamper with the value, do not remove anything from it. In the least you must add something to the value (separate different paths with a semicolon). In order for your system to be able to locate the necessary executables, there needs to be a path specified in the value. It should be something along the lines of C:Program FilesJava[your current Java Runtime Environment (jre)]bin;. Now I'm wondering, if you got something similar? This is why I'm trying to wrap the .jar in a 'simple' click-it executable.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna wait until you manage to make this into an .exe file. I've never been a huge fan of programs that require opening a .zip.

Exactly what kind of sense does that make?

Well ignore that, the important sentence is the first one. :P I meant that kind of Java programs with no executables often don't work on my computer, so I don't like them that much. If that makes sense still.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Very vague, but also unrelated. Please make a new topic here if you wish to get help and can't already find anything on getting your game running.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.