HTML5 Rock Raiders Remake

risingstar64

1 hour ago, aidenpons said:

Many? I only know of one: cannot remember its name or even which game it was for (LR1/LRR/LI1), but it was never released and the maker canned development of it. Most remakes just fall by the wayside as people move on.

Rogods remake (Lego Rock Raiders in Unity (Canceled)) was the best remake on this site in my opinion. But he had to take it down. 

I still have the game, and I remember that the most impressive was how fast the updates came out.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 4:38 PM, Mikkel246 said:

But he had to take it down. 

Not exactly true, he took some advice from a guy on reddit and cancelled it. LEGO was not involved, nor asked him to take down anything. There are far more publicized LEGO fan projects than this, even the releasing of an unreleased game, LEGO hasn't cared much as long as there's no money involved.

Update time!

We now have a real but not yet complete pause menu. And all original sounds from the WAD files at hand. Just need to throw them in there. If someone wants to help and create a list where to play which sound, pls do it and post it here.

Best,

Scarabol

On 4/13/2019 at 10:20 AM, Scarabol said:

Update time!

We now have a real but not yet complete pause menu. And all original sounds from the WAD files at hand. Just need to throw them in there. If someone wants to help and create a list where to play which sound, pls do it and post it here.

Best,

Scarabol

Isn't that inside Lego.cfg ? which defines which sound goes to which vehicle etcetera?

miningmanna

@aidenpons

It is.

@Scarabol

There is a section in the config called "Samples", which contains all the used sound effects.

They are then linked via their name given in the "Samples" node.

As example:

Looking in "Samples", you will find an entry called "SND_pilotdrill" which has a value that specifies where that sound is.

This path contains however no file extensions, so you need to add them yourself. Important is, that LRR doesnt care about case in file names

you could probably generate a list for that programatically.
Depending on how you want to save it. (If you dont want to use the original config file, but make your own)

• 2 months later...

Really glad to see someone picked this up in Rising's absence,  further amazed and pleased to see this survive since 2015! 

Really tempted to do it in Python now lol. (Also hello again it's been a while, RRU)

• 1 month later...

so just checking, we link it to our own copies of the .wad files for purposes of:

a) you no longer having to host the game assets on your site, thereby making it easier on you beautiful beautiful devs, (total sincerity; y'all are AMAZING)

b) making sure(ish) your players must(ish) have purchased the game [once upon a time], as a sort of subtle nod-and-a-wink olive branch to any tetchy Lego lawyers out there,

c) ???

Not complaining, just curious.

Y'all are angels and saints for keeping the dream alive.

56 minutes ago, DoubleBro7 said:

so just checking, we link it to our own copies of the .wad files for purposes of:

a) you no longer having to host the game assets on your site, thereby making it easier on you beautiful beautiful devs, (total sincerity; y'all are AMAZING)

b) making sure(ish) your players must(ish) have purchased the game [once upon a time], as a sort of subtle nod-and-a-wink olive branch to any tetchy Lego lawyers out there,

c) ???

Not complaining, just curious.

Y'all are angels and saints for keeping the dream alive.

Another reason is that you can upload modified WADs, there-by allowing some modifications to the game.

• 1 year later...

I tried this, but it got stuck on the loading screen after I selected my WADs. I can't select new ones if I refresh. Which cookies do I have to delete to choose new WADs? I tried it in both Firefox and Vivaldi and got the same results, so I'm guessing this is a "me" problem since I might have accidentally chosen lightly modded WADs.

I'd love to get this working too but I have the same issue! I used vanilla WADs (timestamp still says 1999) and it gets stuck at 100% loaded on the initial screen, using Firefox.

With Edge it doesn't even request WADs and instead only shows a black screen with text saying it's loading from cache, after I cleared the cookie (although I have Firefox Portable set up with a ton of privacy stuff anyway so it shouldn't be crossing browsers).

Edit: Just tested on Chrome too, same results as Firefox.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Thanks for the fast feedback. I just added a button to the loading screen to clear the caches. Please check: 

Please check your browser console for potential errors. I did not have to time to debug with other WAD versions. In general it should be possible to use even modded ones.

I usually use Chrome.

Screenshot! :)

pyeqVG3.png

baraklava

Not sure if the default online WAD getter is still supposed to work but I'm not getting any response there either... Turned off all adblocks etc, here are some console outputs: 

Loading online WADs

scarabol.github.io/:1

Access to fetch at 'https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=11t9AJnGCWnEWlLxSsYQeB_Y4jrKfxVxQ' from origin 'https://scarabol.github.io' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. If an opaque response serves your needs, set the request's mode to 'no-cors' to fetch the resource with CORS disabled.

scarabol.github.io/:1

Access to fetch at 'https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=11t9AJnGCWnEWlLxSsYQeB_Y4jrKfxVxQ' from origin 'https://scarabol.github.io' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. If an opaque response serves your needs, set the request's mode to 'no-cors' to fetch the resource with CORS disabled.

WadLoader.ts:563

TypeError: Failed to fetch

Loading local WADs: 

190.index.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) Found unexpected numeric name eightteen

Loading local WADs with Baz's mod: 

Firsta ton of config warnings like this: 

cfg key does not exist: CanBeShotAt

and finally an error stopping the entire process: 

WadLoader.ts:90

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot set property 'txt' of undefined

Great to see this project still going though! If I may suggest: Would it be possible to have an option to still play in 2D mode? That way one can play this on even the most fried potatoes

I had a quick look and fixed the critical issues with the mods wad files. They should load now nicely and some levels actually start for me.

If you can get me copy of other wad files, I'm happy to test them

baraklava

Tried it with my own unmodified WADs, working great now! Really purist-feeling remake, I see you've put a lot of effort into it :)  Lovely to be compatible with the old WADs too. 

I think what I miss most in this right now is the audio, Rock Raiders' sound design was a huge part of the game and having complete silence is a bit jarring when the game looks so much like LRR, but I understand it's a work in progress because the base here looks good! The way they move (overlooking the stuttering animations) is very reminiscent of LRR that it's almost like you took part of their source code . I think I also reproduced a version of idle syndrome ;) 

There are a fair amount of bugs though, I remember I didn't see many in the 2D version, maybe they appeared since then or are more visible now. Do you want to have them reported somewhere? Some bugs, such as opening the large cave in Oresome freezing the game, seem pretty severe so maybe you're aware and working on it (I'd guess it starts an infinite loop by connecting back to the main cave at the end). Oh but I encountered a little bug that is probably in my top 5 video game bugs of all time, had to record that! (just play Rocky Horror with base WADs to reproduce)

I have two suggestions you can probably address immediately: 1) WASD movement! It would be a huge QoL upgrade, mouse movements change so much between programs it's easy to mess up the movement. 2) Some sort of list of what is implemented in the game! I can't really tell right now. I was surprised when I saw a sudden landslide, cool they are in the game already, but it made me wonder if the units had HP etc.

Other than that, the game looks really nice in 3D, good work!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.