Drome Racers in-game-only models in LDD

Toa_Of_Justice

Toa_Of_Justice

Since it's now the story year of Drome Racers, 2015, I decided to play the game again. (It works great on my Windows 8.1 x64 PC with an Xbox One Controller for Windows!) Then I wondered whether anyone ever made the in-game-only vehicles. >Someone else on here asked that question, and I gladly registered in order to see the answers. Unfortunately, I didn't see any rendition of the Torq Racer, so I made one in LDD. As time allows, I plan to re-create these models from Drome Racers in LDD, in this order:

If the model you're looking for isn't listed above, chances are it was released as an official model or official alternate model in the summer of 2002. Feel free to use my reference screenshots to make your own renderings and/or real-life models of the in-game-only Drome Racers models.

I plan to build one (and only one) of those models in real life. As for which model and which color... that's up to you! You may select the model in the poll above. After I have posted all the renderings, I'll announce the winner from the poll. (In the event of a tie, I'll either add a tiebreaker poll question, or if that's not possible, I'll decide the winner myself.) Next, I'll see which colors I can make the winning model in, based on available parts (I won't paint elements if they're not available in a certain color). Then I'll either add a poll question for the color or decide on the color myself. Finally, I'll post a link to a separate topic for the real-life model.

EDIT: I thought I made a poll, but it seems to have disappeared. Please post or PM me your votes, or I can just count the thanks/likes per model. Thank you.

EDIT 3/8/2015: In accordance with >this post, I have decided to build the Hornet in Metallic Green. Here it is.

Without further ado, here is the Torq Racer! I wanted to use flexible axles (like the model in the game) rather than flexible cables, but due to limitations in LDD, I had to choose the latter. Rest assured that if this model gets built in real life, I'll use flexible axles. I'm not too sure about how the steering mechanism is supposed to be built, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Click any image for a larger one, click here to download the LXF File, or click here for my reference screenshots.

torqracer01.jpg

torqracer02.jpg

torqracer03.jpg

torqracer04.jpg

Color Variations: All of these, including the white one above (but not the green one) are possible to build in real life according to Peeron.

torqracerblack.jpg

torqracerblue.jpg

torqracergreen.jpg

torqracerorange.jpg

torqracerred.jpg

torqracersilver.jpg

torqracertan.jpg

torqraceryellow.jpg

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

Glad the Pulse Concept is up next, it's my favorite car in the game.

I'm not too sure about how the steering mechanism is supposed to be built, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Is the problem that the model is missing details and you had to improvise, or you weren't able to get a good look at it in-game? If it's the latter, I might be able to help with that and get some screenshots of the models up close.

Toa_Of_Justice

jamesster, I think the problem is more that I couldn't get a good look at it in-game. I would appreciate up-close screenshots.

Try these:

Spoiler
^ The black bit is intersecting with the gray technic beam. Appears to be a modeling goof.

There's also a chassis model without any steering bits in it, with the steering bits as separate models (while the model in the previous screenshots has everything in it - except the wheels of course). Here's screenshots of the isolated rack, and the chassis with less clutter:

Spoiler
^ Yes, that gear is just floating there, even though the axle it should be attached to isn't there. Again, a modeling goof.

If you need more just let me know - different cars, different angles, whatever.

Toa_Of_Justice

jamesster: Thank you very much for the screenshots.  :thumbsup: If possible, could you also please provide screenshots for all the other in-game-only cars, starting with the Pulse Concept and the cow? You don't have to rush with the others, since I imagine it will take me at least a week to do each car.

MaelstromIslander: Sure! :lol: After I have rendered the Pulse Concept, the cow will be next.

Pulse Concept:

Spoiler

If you want more angles or close ups of a specific area, just say so.

Oh, and I just noticed I was accidentally using earlier versions of the car models, but as far as I can tell the only difference is the location of the headlights, which aren't even LEGO pieces. I'll be using the models you actually see in-game from here on out, but I'll compare the early models of the Torq Racer and Pulse Concept with the normal ones too, in case anything else changed.

Edit: Here's the comparisons:

Spoiler

The only differences I see are that the newer models are lower to the ground than the earlier models (I've moved them up a bit so they're floating at almost the same height, so you can't see any difference in the screenshots), and the change in headlight position on the Pulse Concept. If you notice any other differences I'd like to know.

Toa_Of_Justice

jamesster, thanks again for the screenshots. I'll be sure to ask if I need more.

I have already figured out a way to put the headlights in a similar location to those in the final version...

headlights.png

After looking at the comparisons, I can conclude that there appear to be no other differences between the beta and final versions of the Pulse Concept and the Torq Racer.

The top-down view of the Torq Racer seems to have solved a mystery for me regarding the length of the half-beam used on the steering rack. In most other screenshots of that car, it looked like a Technic Beam 6 x 0.5 was used there. But it seems I was correct in using a Technic Beam 7 x 0.5. (I don't see how it would have been possible to build the model in LDD otherwise.)

By the way, I must say that the Pulse Concept without its wheels looks like it could be a vehicle from the game WipEout HD.

EDIT: After reviewing all screenshots from the Torq Racer, I found only one inaccuracy in my model--on the bottom, towards the rear of the car.

tr_comparison.png

Here's the updated LXF file. Personally I prefer my older version, since it seems a bit more durable than the official version.

Edited by jamesster

Those lights look good. And funny, I'd just been listening to the soundtrack for that game...

Oh, and here's the cow:

Spoiler

Obviously, it's not LEGO, so... I dunno what you wanna do with that...

MaelstromIslander

I think I'll use standard bricks to build the cow in LDD.

I was thinking you would use technic pieces, and it looks like you could do that, but i guess bricks are okay. Besides, it would be much harder to build something that doesn't even have a form made of technic pieces.

Toa_Of_Justice

I think I'll use standard bricks to build the cow in LDD.

I was thinking you would use technic pieces, and it looks like you could do that, but i guess bricks are okay. Besides, it would be much harder to build something that doesn't even have a form made of technic pieces.

Using bricks would allow for a more realistic appearance, but your mentioning of TECHNIC pieces reminded me of the one and only Mata Nui Cow. Maybe after I do a brick version, I could try to build something resembling the Mata Nui Cow, perhaps using some Hero Factory elements.

Unfortunately, the part used for its horns (also needed for Dune Striker), part 32551 (Gali's hook), is not yet available in LDD. Part 57565 (Mantax's pincer) looks similar though, and it's available in LDD. I hope 57565 will work well enough as a substitute for 32551.

Toa_Of_Justice

jamesster, I am pleased to announce that your favorite in-game-only vehicle, the Pulse Concept, has been rendered in LDD! Click any image for a larger picture.

pulseconcept1.jpg

pulseconcept2.jpg

pulseconcept3.jpg

pulseconcept4.jpg

LXF File (game-accurate version)

In the game-accurate version of this model, it is not possible to install tail lights. However, I made another version in which I modified the structure holding the rear wheels in place, and then I was able to install tail lights.

Another (albeit minor) issue is that the corrugated tubes inside the long fairings are too long. (The correct length was not available in LDD.) Each tube is actually three 2L tubes connected by TECHNIC pins. If I were to build this model in real life, I would ensure that I used tubes of the correct length.

pulseconceptmodified.jpg

LXF File (modified version)

All of the color variations below (and the white one above) are buildable in real life. (Note that the orange version featured here is actually medium orange, which comes from #8365 Tuneable Racer. As far as I know, the long fairings were never made in regular orange.)

pulseconceptblack.png_thumb.jpg pulseconceptblue.png_thumb.jpg pulseconceptbrown.png_thumb.jpg pulseconceptgold.png_thumb.jpg

pulseconceptgray.png_thumb.jpg pulseconceptlime.png_thumb.jpg pulseconceptmdorange.png_thumb.jpg pulseconceptmetalgreen.png_thumb.jpg

pulseconceptpearldarkgray.png_thumb.jpg pulseconceptred.png_thumb.jpg pulseconceptyellow.png_thumb.jpg

These color variations are possible in-game, but not in real life.

pulseconceptgreen.png_thumb.jpg pulseconceptorange.png_thumb.jpg

Do you have a favorite color? I must admit I'm a fan of the metallic green one!

MaelstromIslander, I shall get moo-ving on the cow next!

• Like 3

Toa_Of_Justice

Thanks jamesster! The Dune Striker looks like it could have been built using mostly (if not only) pieces from #8468 Power Crusher. Since I own that set, I may build the Dune Striker using real elements in addition to one of the other in-game-only models.

Toa_Of_Justice

MaelstromIslander, I am moo-st pleased to announce that I have finished building the cow in LDD!

I tried to get the black and white pattern as close as possible to the official version, but I had to get creative in some places. I also added an udder. Although the official model doesn't have one, I thought it would add to the realism.

Click any image for a larger version.

cow1.jpg

cow2.jpg

cow3.jpg

cow4.jpg

LXF File

• Like 3

MaelstromIslander

That is absolutely bootiful.

I need to download this immediately.

And then turn right around and make recolors. :P

• Like 1

Toa_Of_Justice

It seems my theory about the Dune Striker being built from pieces of set #8468 Power Crusher was mostly correct. I only needed a couple of half-pins to attach the flex axles. But then I noticed that some of the parts appear to have been edited in the in-game model. For example, the quarter-oval liftarms don't have their curved sections, and the orange liftarm in the middle appears to have been straightened out.

So I made two versions of this model. Click any image for a larger picture.

Here's the first version, using only pieces from #8468 Power Crusher.

dunestrikerfrom8468.jpg

dunestrikerfrom8468back.jpg

Color variants (all possible to build in real life):

dunestrikerfrom8468black.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikerfrom8468blue.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikerfrom8468darkgray.png_thumb.jp

dunestrikerfrom8468gray.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikerfrom8468green.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikerfrom8468lime.png_thumb.jpg

dunestrikerfrom8468red.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikerfrom8468white.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikerfrom8468yellow.png_thumb.jpg

LXF File

Here's the second version, made to look like the in-game model.

dunestriker.jpg

dunestrikerback.jpg

Color variants (all possible to build in real life):

dunestrikerblack.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikerblue.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikerdarkgray.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikergray.png_thumb.jpg

dunestrikergreen.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikerred.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikerwhite.png_thumb.jpg dunestrikeryellow.png_thumb.jpg

LXF File

After I have finished rendering the other in-game-only Drome Racers vehicles, I plan to build, photograph, and post the Dune Striker version made from #8468 Power Crusher in addition to whichever other in-game-only vehicle proves to be most popular. (My real model will have the actual Gali hooks up front instead of those mockup structures.)

Next up: Stealth Roadster! jamesster, when you have a chance please provide screenshots of Stealth Roadster.

EDIT: Oops, wait a minute! I almost forgot about the TECHNIC/BIONICLE/Hero Factory version of the cow! I'll do that one first, then Stealth Roadster.

EDIT 2: dromestars already posted a real life version of this model >here, so I have canceled my plan.

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice
  • Like 4

Toa_Of_Justice

Thank you for the screenshots, jamesster. Could you please take some screenshots of the chassis with the doors off? I would also like to see how the doors are supposedly connected with the rest of the car. In addition, could you please provide some detail shots of the front half of the chassis, preferably without the silver flexible axle and the black #1 angle connectors attached to it?

Toa_Of_Justice

I understand. In that case, could you please post closeups of those areas with as few parts around them as possible? For the front half of the chassis, I'd like a top-down view please.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.