Cyrem

How to rotate?

(the buildings)

.... please report them. Also, the scroll on your mouse controls the angle of the objects.

I think that answers it.

No you twit. The right most area of most touch pads work like the scroll wheel of a mouse. Simply testing it out on a browser or a word document is enough to see If your laptop has that feature.

Edit:

Mac
OHHHHHHH that would explain everything. Yes, there shout be other keys that rotate the blocks, maybe the bracket buttons.

I really appreciate the compliments, my friend. I also am so glad that you agree with me that there shouldn't be a key to rotate on laptops that involves using the disabled scroll part of the touch pad.

My sincerities

EDIT:

My apologies. I didn't see that edit. Thanks for the agreement.

Oh, well I'm on a laptop. Could you maybe edit it so that another key rotates it?

I will put rotation keys in for you.

I also want to address the notion of placing multiple cameras into a map. Apparently it's possible to do it in the editor, but does that screw up the game? If you don't have an answer I'll find out tomorrow, and if it does cause problems you'll just have to put a limit to the number of cameras that one can place, or at least a note.

I also want to address the notion of placing multiple cameras into a map. Apparently it's possible to do it in the editor, but does that screw up the game? If you don't have an answer I'll find out tomorrow, and if it does cause problems you'll just have to put a limit to the number of cameras that one can place, or at least a note.

Yes it will mess up the game.

Extreme110: CYREM IS GOD (Today, 05:06 PM)

Extreme110: HAIL TO THE CHEIF (Today, 05:06 PM)

Cirevam: why (Today, 05:06 PM)

Cirevam: Also Cyrem isn't an apparition of judgement. (Today, 05:06 PM)

Extreme110: And Cyrem is God because of the new Final 1 Map Creator Beta (Today, 05:08 PM)

Extreme110: I pissed my pants when I saw how good it was (Today, 05:08 PM)

Extreme110: ... (Today, 05:08 PM)

Cirevam: Oh. (Today, 05:08 PM)

Cirevam: How so? (Today, 05:08 PM)

sciguy: cleanup in isle 4 (Today, 05:09 PM)

Extreme110: I didn't know my house had isles.... (Today, 05:09 PM)

Cirevam : Isle 4? *runs to rowboat* (Today, 05:09 PM)

Extreme110: lol (Today, 05:10 PM)

Yeah. Damn Right. Can't wait for when you release the next one!

Well I haven't done this for awhile, so it was nice to have a play around on a new version again. I'm impressed by how professional-looking-a-tool this is becoming, and so I definately appreciate all your time and effort that's gone into it. Don't get put off by my large list of things that will now ensue :P. Like most of my feedback, there aren't any major problems that I've found, just small bugs and things that could improve the user experience.

So let the list begin:

- The Open>Import>Original Game Map drop down menu likes to hop over the place. Assuming you have a map open, the drop down menu will appear roughly in the part of the map you are in. I.e, if you've scrolled to the bottom right corner of the your map currently open and click on it, the drop down menu will open in the bottom right corner of your screen.

- It's good that you've improved this process with the ability to cancel and not name things, but I still think it could be improved further. Maybe have the tickboxes automatically all ticked to save you having to tick them all, and then it's easier just to untick a few if you know you don't have those, or just click cancel when they come up. Maybe you could just skip this step altogether, and just rely on the cancel. I don't know if you want to go that extreme though.

- The Hotkeys are good, but the bullet point in the actual menu doesn't actually move with the hotkeys. (I.e if you are in the surf map editor with the bullet point there in the menu, and hotkey to another map mode, the bullet point stays at surf while the map changes to the different map mode.) Could be slightly offputting if you're using the menu and Hotkeys some of the time each.

- Also with hotkeys, it would be logical to add an Object/Buildings hotkey of F10 (and F11/F12 for the other two once they're implemented.)

- Using the 'Create" function to export your map, when it asks you for the map number, if you type a number from 01-09, it will disregard the 0 in front, and label all the map files with just X_1.map, instead of X_01.map. Obviously if you just type in 1-9 without the 0, it will also do the same. This makes you manually have to input the 0's in if you want to use them for your map, and so it would be useful if you didn't have to.

- Also with the 'Create' function, it doesn't export the .ol file with all the others. I don't know if this is intentional, or you've just forgotten to add it in, but I think it would be logical.

- Object placement is good, but if you place a game camera over the top of a building, and then right click on the camera to delete it, you will also delete the building as well, whether you wanted to or not. Not very major at all I know, but could save some hassle if it isn't too hard to implement.

- Also with object placement, the order of buildings in the menu could be like it is in the game. I always see the heirachy of buildings like they are in the game, and so the type of person I am just doesn't like that the menu isn't in the same order. Sorry I'm so fussy, but I can't help it. >_>

- There's still a slight issue with the map creator window itself sometimes being sent behind other windows you may have open, when doing certain functions (mainly importing map files). Doesn't seem as bad as it was before, so I realise you may have tried to fix it, and this is the best you could do.

- A few original .ol files from the original levels don't open properly. I went through opening every original level, and there were three that had problems with their .ol files:

- Level 14 (Don't Panic!) and Level 20 (Run the Gauntlet) have an error window that open saying things along the lines of "Error in function real()". I figured out that if you just click the 'Ignore' button repeatedly, it goes away, and the .ol file does actually open in the Creator.

- Level 7's (Search 'n' Rescue) .ol file just doesn't want to open at all. No errors pop up, but there is nothing in the Creator, and it just acts as if the file was blank.

I'm guessing that these are just problems with their .ol files due to the slackness of the developers, and the struggle that you had with having to round co-ordinates due to their un-wholeness.

So yea, a typical list of feedback from me. It doesn't deter me from such a great program, and it's good that it's almost completed now. I will certainly look forward to using it for my own maps (and have already started).

~Matt

Once again, thanks for all that. Luckily, I can fix most of that without too much trouble.

- The Open>Import>Original Game Map drop down menu likes to hop over the place. Assuming you have a map open, the drop down menu will appear roughly in the part of the map you are in. I.e, if you've scrolled to the bottom right corner of the your map currently open and click on it, the drop down menu will open in the bottom right corner of your screen.

Haha, never even noticed that!

- It's good that you've improved this process with the ability to cancel and not name things, but I still think it could be improved further. Maybe have the tickboxes automatically all ticked to save you having to tick them all, and then it's easier just to untick a few if you know you don't have those, or just click cancel when they come up. Maybe you could just skip this step altogether, and just rely on the cancel. I don't know if you want to go that extreme though.

Having them all ticked is a good idea.

- The Hotkeys are good, but the bullet point in the actual menu doesn't actually move with the hotkeys. (I.e if you are in the surf map editor with the bullet point there in the menu, and hotkey to another map mode, the bullet point stays at surf while the map changes to the different map mode.) Could be slightly offputting if you're using the menu and Hotkeys some of the time each.

Thanks for that report.

- Also with hotkeys, it would be logical to add an Object/Buildings hotkey of F10 (and F11/F12 for the other two once they're implemented.)

For some reason F10, F11, F12 seem to lock up the program when I use them. Thats why I only did it up to F9.

- Using the 'Create" function to export your map, when it asks you for the map number, if you type a number from 01-09, it will disregard the 0 in front, and label all the map files with just X_1.map, instead of X_01.map. Obviously if you just type in 1-9 without the 0, it will also do the same. This makes you manually have to input the 0's in if you want to use them for your map, and so it would be useful if you didn't have to.

I've known of this, I'll fix it.

- Also with the 'Create' function, it doesn't export the .ol file with all the others. I don't know if this is intentional, or you've just forgotten to add it in, but I think it would be logical.

Whoops, forgot :P .

- Object placement is good, but if you place a game camera over the top of a building, and then right click on the camera to delete it, you will also delete the building as well, whether you wanted to or not. Not very major at all I know, but could save some hassle if it isn't too hard to implement.

Hmm, might be hard to change that. I'll check it out though.

- Also with object placement, the order of buildings in the menu could be like it is in the game. I always see the heirachy of buildings like they are in the game, and so the type of person I am just doesn't like that the menu isn't in the same order. Sorry I'm so fussy, but I can't help it. >_>

I'll get on to it ;)

- There's still a slight issue with the map creator window itself sometimes being sent behind other windows you may have open, when doing certain functions (mainly importing map files). Doesn't seem as bad as it was before, so I realise you may have tried to fix it, and this is the best you could do.

Hmm, I fixed the order problem with the Original Map importer. But I'll have a look at that.

- A few original .ol files from the original levels don't open properly. I went through opening every original level, and there were three that had problems with their .ol files:

- Level 14 (Don't Panic!) and Level 20 (Run the Gauntlet) have an error window that open saying things along the lines of "Error in function real()". I figured out that if you just click the 'Ignore' button repeatedly, it goes away, and the .ol file does actually open in the Creator.

- Level 7's (Search 'n' Rescue) .ol file just doesn't want to open at all. No errors pop up, but there is nothing in the Creator, and it just acts as if the file was blank.

I'm guessing that these are just problems with their .ol files due to the slackness of the developers, and the struggle that you had with having to round co-ordinates due to their un-wholeness.

Damn it! not again...

Also, about the scrollwheel: MacBooks have multitouch touchpads. So if the drivers/VM get it right, you should be able to rotate using two fingers and moving them up or down.

I'd rather just have two dedicated buttons. This is a level editor, a tool, and it's being used on a computer. It's not a game being played on the Wii and thus doesn't need motiony gimmicks and crap. Also, since I don't have a scrollwheel, just a strip of my trackpad cut off for a scrollbar, it becomes a pain to try to rotate things precisely.

I'd rather just have two dedicated buttons. This is a level editor, a tool, and it's being used on a computer. It's not a game being played on the Wii and thus doesn't need motiony gimmicks and crap. Also, since I don't have a scrollwheel, just a strip of my trackpad cut off for a scrollbar, it becomes a pain to try to rotate things precisely.

Yes, key rotation will be added.

TheDoctor

Ok, I was playing with it for a little while, and a few things came up.

1. I think Matt mentioned the issue where you have to manually export the .ol file. I forgot about that, and it took ma a few minutes tonfigure out what happened.

2. If you use the hot keys to change modes, the mode you last clicked on the popup menu stays the same.

3. There was some bug where you would place surface map walls in the... Either dugg or ol or some other mode.

4. You still can't save maps yet. I would like that feature very much thank you.

5. Ok, here we go. When shift clicking to place walls faster, it gets annoying if you accidentally overwrite a few walls you want to keep. Instead of right click being place ground (for surface) how about have it be an eyedroper tool, like in paint where you find a certian collor and then use that color. So, in that sence, it's a copy function.

6. Another idea. Right click and hold could bring up a quick list of the placing options.

7. Almost forgot about this. When shift clicking in heightmap mode, it's a bit tricky to get the right one to copy. Just use it and you'll see what I mean.

I think that's it. Great work though....

OH!. I almost forgot. I tried to test out a map I made earlier, but when I opened the level, the breifing panel wouldent close. I was locked from the game. I also notices that the tool store I placed wasn't there. Something messed up. I'll upload and you guys can see if you have the same problem.

OH!. I almost forgot. I tried to test out a map I made earlier, but when I opened the level, the breifing panel wouldent close. I was locked from the game. I also notices that the tool store I placed wasn't there. Something messed up. I'll upload and you guys can see if you have the same problem.

This happens when buildings are stuck in solid rock and stuff. Same thing happened to me. The units don't seem to match up with the editor, like they're off by one or two squares.

1. I think Matt mentioned the issue where you have to manually export the .ol file. I forgot about that, and it took ma a few minutes tonfigure out what happened.

2. If you use the hot keys to change modes, the mode you last clicked on the popup menu stays the same.

3. There was some bug where you would place surface map walls in the... Either dugg or ol or some other mode.

4. You still can't save maps yet. I would like that feature very much thank you.

5. Ok, here we go. When shift clicking to place walls faster, it gets annoying if you accidentally overwrite a few walls you want to keep. Instead of right click being place ground (for surface) how about have it be an eyedroper tool, like in paint where you find a certian collor and then use that color. So, in that sence, it's a copy function.

6. Another idea. Right click and hold could bring up a quick list of the placing options.

7. Almost forgot about this. When shift clicking in heightmap mode, it's a bit tricky to get the right one to copy. Just use it and you'll see what I mean.

1. Matt mentioned that.

2. Matt mentioned that.

3. Thanks.

4. That comes in v1.0

5. It doesn't place ground, it removes the wall. But I'll think about that.

6. Thanks.

7. I'll have a look.

8. Hmm...

This happens when buildings are stuck in solid rock and stuff. Same thing happened to me. The units don't seem to match up with the editor, like they're off by one or two squares.

I certainly hope not, I tested every building at every angle to make sure they matched up.

I've fixed those problems however Level 7 has shown me something new I didn't know about. Usually in level ol files it simply goes up in Object1,2,3 etc... but with Level7 it say things like "HiddenRRider","LostRaider" and "LostBoard" (It also is the only OL that doesn't use decimals!). I assume this is for the NPL to id specific objects. This is why it wouldn't open and now that I know this I'll need to put in a way to use your own ID's.

Also, I'm going to remove the map number thing in create. It was only to ease replacing other levels, it really isn't needed. As you can simply make a new folder and change the links to the correct files, MC will generate the level CFG code in 1.0 so you won't even need to do that really.

TheDoctor

1. Matt mentioned that.

2. Matt mentioned that.

3. Thanks.

4. That comes in v1.0

5. It doesn't place ground, it removes the wall. But I'll think about that.

6. Thanks.

7. I'll have a look.

8. Hmm...

I certainly hope not, I tested every building at every angle to make sure they matched up.

Well, it's not like I would try to put buildings in rock or anything. I DID place rock all around the tool store though. I'll take it out and see if that fixes it.

Also, two more things I noticed about the ol editor.

1. You have a place custom object option. What the heck is that for?

2. You don't have the option to place rock raiders... Or do you... I've only looked in the building menus, so I'm not sure.

Also also, you can place buildings and power paths, but did any level start with energy crystals already collected? I don't think so... Just a random thought.

Nice work Cyrem.

Well, it's not like I would try to put buildings in rock or anything. I DID place rock all around the tool store though. I'll take it out and see if that fixes it.

Also, two more things I noticed about the ol editor.

1. You have a place custom object option. What the heck is that for?

2. You don't have the option to place rock raiders... Or do you... I've only looked in the building menus, so I'm not sure.

Also also, you can place buildings and power paths, but did any level start with energy crystals already collected? I don't think so... Just a random thought.

Nice work Cyrem.

1. It's for new buildings/monsters that have been added to the game through mods. It allows you to place them.

2. No, in Final 2 it will. Until then you can use the custom tool to place them.

3. Huh? The setting to start with energy crystals will come out with v1.0.

The erosion still needs fix. There are 10 erosion speeds, 5 touching lava and 5 random erosions.

I know, I said that it would come in Final 2.

• Cyrem changed the title to Map Creator (0.9.11)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.