Cyrem

Map Creator

(0.9.11)

Map Creator is a tool to build new LEGO Rock Raiders levels.

Things to know:

• Import/Export single map files by clicking the "Options" button in the correct map mode.
  • Press [shift] while placing to speed place.
  • That this is a BETA and you should report all bugs and errors.
  • The Arrows on the bottom right hand corner change the mode.
  • In the Monster Editor Right Click + [shift] will clear that tile.
  • Import original game maps with the specific Original Map Importer.
  • Paths and Rubble cannot be hidden.

Screenshot:

http://i.minus.com/izwI0JwMKmVBQ.jpg

v0.9.11

• Added Crystal to Object Mode
  • Set Quantity of Rock Raiders or Crystals on one tile. (Position is randomized on that tile when exported)

Spoiler

Updates 0.9.9 > 0.9.10

• Started some optimizations.
  • Settings file to adjust editor window size + fullscreen

Updates 0.9.8 > 0.9.9

• Fixed buttons disappearing off the screen.
  • Fixed crash after clearing all objects then saving
  • Added the ability to get the crystal count (In settings).
  • Maps can be up to 256x256 in size. (It's best you don't)

Updates 0.9.7 > 0.9.8

• Added Objective text setting
  • Added CFG block name setting (used for ObjectiveText... more CFG stuff later)
  • Fixed 2 important map loading bugs.
  • Added suffix to File link generation (previously missing)

Updates 0.9.6 > 0.9.7

• Added Sample Map to Zip
  • Added 'Set File Export Suffix' (this also gets saved with your map)
  • Hovering over a custom object will display a tooltip with the name of the object
  • You can right click on custom objects to change the object type.
  • When you save the map name is added to the filename so you don't have to type it.
  • Stopped saving of map files if no map is open.
  • 2 bug fixes.

Updates 0.9.5 > 0.9.6

• Camera is now always the first object in the ol
  • Import from folder feature enabled
  • Got rid of '_' at the end of file names for exporting.
  • Rename the map
  • Generate the file list for the map
  • 1 bug fix.

Updates 0.9.4 > 0.9.5

• Support for all Fallin speeds 1 to 8.

Updates 0.9.3 > 0.9.4

• Height levels can go up to 40 now.
  • Set All Height now corresponds to the level you will see in the editor.

Updates 0.9.2 > 0.9.3

• Map saving and Loading
  • Fixed OL Import bug not recognizing Rock Raiders.

Updates 0.9.1 > 0.9.2

• Erosion mode finished (Also means importing original erosion maps work properly now)
  • Fixed Object number issue for exporting OL

Updates Final 3B > 0.9.1

• You can roughen the hightmap of levels.
  • You can fill hidden areas of caverns only.
  • Project internal update & rebuild.
  • New Icon
  • Removal of Help button (serves no purpose atm)
  • Removal of level zipping (buggy, not used anyway)
  • Fixed bug: Clicking original import would bring up PS1 import window too.

Updates from Final 3a to Final 3b

• Create 100 x100 maps.
  • Added PS1 terrain map loader.
  • Changed rotate building buttons to Z/X.
  • Fixed bug when scrolling with mouse and button at the same time.

Updates from Final 3 to Final 3a

• Fixed hotkey switch mode error.
  • Fixed single map export error.
  • Added keyboard arrows now scroll the map.

Updates from Final 2 to Final 3

• Fixed another map size inaccuracy for smaller maps.
  • Fixed slug holes not appearing in Cror mode.
  • Fixed program hang after exporting zip when Windows denies creation of the zip/folder.
  • Fixed bug causing game cameras not to be imported from an exported Final 2 OL file.
  • After exporting a zip package, the temp folder should now be deleted as it should.
  • Removed internal NPL scripter that was seen in some screenshots. (Now a seperate program: NPLScripter)
  • Small optimizations to map exporting.
  • Surf preview goes darker in Dugg mode now.
  • Added error message if map could not be packaged due to folder permissions.
  • Added Rock Raider object (The rest will be added in next release).
  • When placing markers in Monster/Tutorial mode, it copies the last placed number.(So you don't have to click so many times)
  • New maps automaticly add a solid rock edge.(Click "Options > Clear All" to get rid of them)

Updates from Final 1 to Final 2

• Fixed a possible crash on attempt to close.
  • Added two startup params "-NPL" and "-NM <w> <h>"
  • Fixed Object 1 duplicate
  • Bug with importing bigger ol's on small maps
  • Hex is wrong on dugg editor
  • Fixed export zip ol with wrong extension
  • Identified and fixed a major map sizing problem
  • Identified and fixed a major surf map inaccuracy
  • Identified and fixed a major OL standards inaccuracy
  • New 'New Map Window'
  • 1 Camera limit
  • Added error if you haven't added a camera to the map
  • Changed place tool colour from red to lime
  • You can see which direction the buildings are facing before placing
  • Rotation keys (left/right)
  • Fixed import menu position
  • Auto tick on Original Importer
  • Added "(Optional)" to Original Importer map name text.
  • Fixed Level 14, 20, 7 errors on ol import.
  • Add map name on surface import
  • Add exporting ol file to 'create'
  • Added successfully exported message to 'create'
  • New export to ZIP file.
  • New Help menu button.
  • New About/Bug Report message.
  • Added menu to 'Create'
  • Removed export number prompt
  • Renamed "create" to "export"
  • Fixed Hotkeys don't move check on mode menu

Updates from Tuto Beta 1 > Final 1

• Hotkeys for modes (F1-F9)
  • After Orginal map import, reset to surface.
  • Fixed Original map Import z order problem
  • Removed map name requirement on Original import.
  • Fixed map name update bug on Original import.
  • Allow cancel as skip on Original Import.
  • Fixed Menus in wrong position.
  • Removed most restrictions on where you could place emerge and trigger points.
  • Startup Image added
  • Custom Object Placement
  • New OL Editor
  • 'Start' changed to 'New'
  • Welcome Message

Updates from Emrg Beta 2 > Tuto Beta 1

• New Original Map Importer (Access from Open > Import > Original Map Importer) (Fixes the surf dirt import problem with original maps)
  • New Erod Editor
  • New Tutor Editor

Updates from Emrg Beta 1 > Emrg Beta 2

• Create Button now functional (Exports all files into a folder)
  • Map Name Dialog (For use with 'Create' and saving to mcm files.
  • Fixed 2 bugs that got rid of slimey slug holes when filling with hidden area
  • New mode change menu
  • Map sizes can now go up to 80 blocks
  • Spelling mistake in map height fixed
  • Fixed import problem in emrg
  • Polished up the Place/Options menus

Updates from Fall Beta 1 > Emrg Beta 1

• New Emrg Editor!
  • Fixed height paste bug
  • Removed height copy
  • Show/hide map shading removed

Updates from Cror Beta 1 > Fall Beta 1:

• Some script optimizations
  • Notifiction added when placing crystals/ore on non-walls
  • Copy/Paste for heightmap [shift = Paste/Past Last Height] [Control = Copy height]
  • Swapped Cror editor and Heightmap editor around
  • Random Heights removed
  • New Path Editor
  • New Landslide Editor

Updates from High Beta 2 > Cror Beta 1:

• New Cror editor
  • Default height is more centred (8 instead of 10)

Updates from High Beta 1 > High Beta 2:

• Spelling Mistake fix in "Heightmap Editor"
  • Fixed Placement bug between modes
  • Added Confirmation's to "Clear All" in Surf, Dugg and Heightmap modes
  • Heightmap Editor shows surface beneath
  • Show/Hide Heightmap Shading
  • Show/Hide Heightmap Levels

Updates from Dugg Beta 2 > High Beta 1:

• Click "Fill All..." to popup another menu
  • New Heightmap Editor
  • Spelling Mistake fixed for "Soild" > "Solid"
  • Right clicking on hidden slug holes only remove the hidden area first
  • Export map file names have a default file name shown.

Updates from Dugg Beta 1 > Dugg Beta 2:

• Close confirmation
  • Fixed hidden slug hole import bug
  • Added 'Editor' to mode names
  • New icon, nicer for vista/win7 users since they use a larger icon.

Updates from Surf Beta 2 > Dugg Beta 1:

• X/Y Position Added
  • New Dugg Editor
  • Current Mode now shown
  • Button Hover Effect
  • Abilty to place Slimey Slug Holes

Updates from Surf Beta 1 > Surf Beta 2:

• Map Create now allows you to cancel
  • Re-worked open file window
  • Re-worded save window
  • Added import confirmation
  • Show Hex enabled
  • Fixed bug allowing opening of non-existing files
  • Fixed bug causing map merging when over writing files

Download

Edited by Slimy Slug
Fixed typo

I like the ui, but I can't test if the old glitches still occur.

I can test it out tomorrow on my desktop, if I get my gfx mod uninstalled.

It looks amazing. It needs the other options enabled though. I can't wait for the Gamma...or second beta... or whatever. Its also lacking the right click options, which gives me an empty feeling inside... Still It looks great. Hoping to get a chance to try it.

No bugs for anyone yet? Has anyone tried an exported surf file in that game? I'd like to get as much of this stuff sorted before I go and release the next beta for this.

TheEPICtrainrider

I switched out my old surf_01 file for the new one, but the game failed on me when I tried to load the level. I'll go back and see if I messed up, (cause I'm not a god sent at modding) but chances are I didn't.

But the format looks good, soon everyone will be able to make levels.

Good to see your progress on this. :)

I know you're mainly concentrating on surf map files at the moment, but there's a few things that you could sort out at some point:

- If you accidentally click on the Start button/no longer want to start a new map, you can't cancel out of it. Both the cancel and red cross buttons redirect to the "Please enter a width between 5 and 50." message. This could be annoying if you accidentally click on the start button as it's right next to the main interface, and since you are unable to cancel it, you will lose what you're working on.

- A zoom function would be useful. It would be nice if you're working on large maps, and you want to see the entire map in one view. I don't know how easy this would be to do though, so it's no biggie..

- I mentioned this to you awhile ago, but I don't know if you've remembered. It would be handy if when you're opening/exporting map files, that you go automatically to the last opened folder, as opposed to the default directory where the editor is located. This saves the hassle of constantly navigating through all the folders each time.

I opened up the surf file of my modded Frozen Frenzy level, changed it slightly and exported it. It seemed to do this fine, but when I replace it with the old one a recompile the WAD, it doesn't seem to recognise this new change. I've opened up the surf in one of the old editors, and they can recognise it, so I wonder if it's a fault of mine somewhere along the line. I'll try again tomorrow.

I look forward to next versions of this project, and can see it being a very valuable asset in the future. ;)

- If you accidentally click on the Start button/no longer want to start a new map, you can't cancel out of it. Both the cancel and red cross buttons redirect to the "Please enter a width between 5 and 50." message. This could be annoying if you accidentally click on the start button as it's right next to the main interface, and since you are unable to cancel it, you will lose what you're working on.

Thank you for pointing that out, I over-looked that fact.

- A zoom function would be useful. It would be nice if you're working on large maps, and you want to see the entire map in one view. I don't know how easy this would be to do though, so it's no biggie..

I'll look into implementing something like this, it may not be easy but we'll see.

- I mentioned this to you awhile ago, but I don't know if you've remembered. It would be handy if when you're opening/exporting map files, that you go automatically to the last opened folder, as opposed to the default directory where the editor is located. This saves the hassle of constantly navigating through all the folders each time.

I'll try and do something about that. On Windows 7, it automaticly does that for me.

I opened up the surf file of my modded Frozen Frenzy level, changed it slightly and exported it. It seemed to do this fine, but when I replace it with the old one a recompile the WAD, it doesn't seem to recognise this new change. I've opened up the surf in one of the old editors, and they can recognise it, so I wonder if it's a fault of mine somewhere along the line. I'll try again tomorrow.

If you could do that, that'd be great.

I look forward to next versions of this project, and can see it being a very valuable asset in the future. ;)

Cheers and thanks for your time.

Well I edited the surf map file of a random map I had started creating in the old editors, and when I tried it out in my game, I got a different result than last time.

This is the original corner of the map that I was working on. I implemented this into my game before I started editing it:

6rocpk.jpg

This is the edited version after I changed things slightly in the creator:

1zywvg1.jpg

This is how the map turned out in the game after I had implemented the edited version:

5d00aa.jpg

Now if you compare these images, you will notice that what I actually got in the game, was a different version of the map, different to both the original and what was intended to be. However, it did seem to mainly resemble the intended version. The difference between them is an issue around placing solid rock. Here's what I've noticed:

- The two blocks of Solid Rock going across and up that I've edited in, don't appear when I play, but they've changed to ground, instead of the original water which they were in the original version.

- However, this isn't just a issue of solid rock turning to ground. You'll notice that I edited solid rock around the edge of the perimeter, to make it 2 solid rock's wide, compared to the original where there were 3 walls that weren't at either end. This edited in solid rock does appear in the actual game.

Solid rock turning to ground does explain why it wasn't working for me yesterday. I had just placed added some extra solid rock where there was ground before. This would've then turned to ground, making it look like it hadn't changed at all.

Anyway, since I had established there was a fault with Solid Rock, I thought I'd try the other rock types to see if they had the same issue.

This is what my edited version looked like now:

14b7pde.jpg

After implementing this version and playing it, I got the same result as before:

5d00aa.jpg

I thought since solid rock had stayed the same around the edges, that it could be a fault with me only having blocks of 2 walls. So I tried four instead:

f3vqmp.jpg

And again, they turned to ground after I had implemented and played it:

2qte1ia.jpg

So I still haven't quite eliminated down what exactly is the problem, but hopefully I've shed some light for you on an issue, and you can have a look on the coding side of things. If I open up the edited versions in the old editors, they show the edited rock types, like it is in the creator, so I don't think it's a problem in the exporting of the surf files not working or something. I'm hoping you have some ideas. :/

Edited by Slimy Slug

Ok I just have one question before I start looking back into my exporter script that may effect the entire outcome. Are you importing, editing and overwriting a file when exporting?

I ask this because I know that if you do so you will get weird results where maps are combining etc.. (which I have fixed in the second beta).

Edit: I have also found that because there is no Dugg editor, hidden area is messing up the maps in-game also. I will probably have to introduce the Dugg editor before we can do some real map checking.

Edit: I will release Surf BETA 2 extremely shortly which will contain some minor changes. Now I'll work on the Dugg editor.

Edit: Surf BETA 2 released, see first post.

Well I've now tryed what I did yesterday on the new version of the creator, starting with my original version of the map, and placing those blocks of solid rock sticking outwards. Sadly, I still got the same result as yesterday. The rock will turn to ground when I play it, but if I open up the surf map in the creator or any of the old editors, they show the solid rock blocks like I intended them to be.

In terms of how I export my files, in the first version, I would export it to my working folder for that map (which has all the other map types from the old editor's exporting), and leave it as the default name ("Surf_.map"). I would then rename the current one in that folder to Surf_X.map (version Y). Then I would rename the newly exported map file to Surf_X.map. I would then copy this, and paste it in the level folder for the game, recompile the WAD, play it.

So sorry, I still have the same problems. Would be interesting to see if other people have the same problem... you say you haven't tested yourself, are you unable due to you working on something else?

Good changes from the first version though. It should be harder to lose what you're working on now. ;)

The Dugg BETA 1 should be out tomorrow or on the weekend. Hopefully it will fix the issues you are having Matt.

I didn't test it because I was a bit lazy. I was just comparing files from the game and one I export from my editor and comparing them to see if they turn out the same. If they do, there's a high chance it was going to work. But due to the lack of the Dugg editor, exported maps are not exactly the same as the surf sometimes depends on the dugg to alter the outcome.

EDIT: Dugg Beta 1 released(see first post). I tested feeding Level 1 through the editor and re-exporting and trying it in the game and it worked fine. I did some minor adjustments to the map and they also worked well. So Matt, if you make sure the Dugg area is done correctly in this version, your maps should work.

OK, I just did the same process as before with the new dugg version, and it works fine. All changes I made on the creator came through in game, so you were right about needing the dugg map file.

One glitch I noticed though:

- If I save a dugg map file with a hidden Slimey Slug Hole, close the creator, open the creator again and import that dugg map file back into the editor, the squares that contained hidden Slimey Slug Holes, are no longer there, replaced by ground instead. However, if I play the map with that hidden Slimey Slug Hole, it appears there in game, so it would seem that there is a glitch somewhere in the importing of dugg maps.

A couple of other things:

- Maybe I'm just blind/unobservant, but it took me awhile to find out that you click the arrows down the bottom right of the creator, to change between map types. I think this could be labelled more clearly, maybe just adding something in the first post of how to do this would be a good start.

- It's good you've implemented a confirmation check to importing a map to reduce the chances of an accidentally lost map, but maybe also you could implement just a simple "Are you sure you want to quit?" box when clicking the Red X, to prevent accidentally losing a map by quitting straight away. This I guess could be seen as a hassle if you're wanting to quit, so I guess it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it's implementation. It could be better I guess once you get to the 'Save' button stage, and could bypass this check if you have saved. Just something to contemplate.

This project is coming along nicely, and I'm happy to keep testing each stage as it comes. :)

~Matt

P.S You could probably update your first post's first paragraph, as it's still saying "This BETA is just for testing the surface editor", which is no longer correct as you've moved onto the dugg files. (Although does this still count as surface? :/ ) Also, your fourth bullet point in the first list, "I have not tested the exported surf files in-game, I'll leave that up to you guys." also probably isn't correct anymore. ;)

OK, I just did the same process as before with the new dugg version, and it works fine. All changes I made on the creator came through in game, so you were right about needing the dugg map file.

Excellent! that's the news I wanted to hear.

One glitch I noticed though:

- If I save a dugg map file with a hidden Slimey Slug Hole, close the creator, open the creator again and import that dugg map file back into the editor, the squares that contained hidden Slimey Slug Holes, are no longer there, replaced by ground instead. However, if I play the map with that hidden Slimey Slug Hole, it appears there in game, so it would seem that there is a glitch somewhere in the importing of dugg maps.

Thank you for finding that.

A couple of other things:

- Maybe I'm just blind/unobservant, but it took me awhile to find out that you click the arrows down the bottom right of the creator, to change between map types. I think this could be labelled more clearly, maybe just adding something in the first post of how to do this would be a good start.

- It's good you've implemented a confirmation check to importing a map to reduce the chances of an accidentally lost map, but maybe also you could implement just a simple "Are you sure you want to quit?" box when clicking the Red X, to prevent accidentally losing a map by quitting straight away. This I guess could be seen as a hassle if you're wanting to quit, so I guess it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it's implementation. It could be better I guess once you get to the 'Save' button stage, and could bypass this check if you have saved. Just something to contemplate.

Great points I will do that.

This project is coming along nicely, and I'm happy to keep testing each stage as it comes. :)

~Matt

Thanks again.

P.S You could probably update your first post's first paragraph, as it's still saying "This BETA is just for testing the surface editor", which is no longer correct as you've moved onto the dugg files. (Although does this still count as surface? :/ ) Also, your fourth bullet point in the first list, "I have not tested the exported surf files in-game, I'll leave that up to you guys." also probably isn't correct anymore. ;)

Fixed :)

EDIT: Dugg BETA 2 is out with those changes (see first post).

It's good to see you're speedily fixing all things that I mention to you. ;)

I've been playing around a bit with the new second dugg version, and there are a few more things that I'll mention to you, but they can probably wait till the next big release, as they aren't very important:

- When right clicking on the red hidden area in the dugg editor, I notice it changes back to the original rock/floor type, which is good. However, this doesn't work for Hidden Slimey Slug Holes, as if you right click them, they turn to ground, instead of a normal Slimey Slug Hole. I realise that since you've created two seperate functions for creating a 'hidden' and an 'exposed' hole, there could be an underlying programming difficulty, which makes it hard to change a hidden back to an exposed with a right mouse click. So I just thought I'd mention it if it was possible.

- I think you could change the default file name for saving back to what it was (i.e "Surf_.map") Since that is the required format (apart form the map number) for using a map file, it isn't really as if people need to name them obscure names. I realise you may have done this to prevent overwriting of the map files, but since you said you fixed this bug, there isn't a need for this anymore?

- I think the "Fill: X" in the options of the surf editor, is a bit too flamboyant (dunno if that's the right word :S ). They can easily be clicked instead of placing the wall type, which again can result in losing your map. You could add another confirmation box when clicking them, if you're working on a map, to prevent accidentally losing it. You're only really going to be using it, if any, once a map, so I don't think it's going to be used very often. Maybe you could have just a 'Fill...' button, which brings up a new menu where you can click which rock type you want to fill in. At the moment there's 6 buttons for each fill type, which considering the regularity that you'd be using this function, seems a bit much.

- On the note of accidentally losing things, how easy is it to implement an Undo function? The good ol' Ctrl+Z always comes in handy. :P I can manage without one though if it's quite hard to implement.

So yea, just a few more things to contemplate. Sorry that I keep posting a few more things a time (seemingly constantly), but I guess I should post them while I think of them, as I do tend to forget things like this quite easily. :/

~Matt

It's good to see you're speedily fixing all things that I mention to you. ;)

Trying my best :)

- When right clicking on the red hidden area in the dugg editor, I notice it changes back to the original rock/floor type, which is good. However, this doesn't work for Hidden Slimey Slug Holes, as if you right click them, they turn to ground, instead of a normal Slimey Slug Hole. I realise that since you've created two seperate functions for creating a 'hidden' and an 'exposed' hole, there could be an underlying programming difficulty, which makes it hard to change a hidden back to an exposed with a right mouse click. So I just thought I'd mention it if it was possible.

Yes there was a difficult with doing this, but I have something in mind that may fix it.

- I think you could change the default file name for saving back to what it was (i.e "Surf_.map") Since that is the required format (apart form the map number) for using a map file, it isn't really as if people need to name them obscure names. I realise you may have done this to prevent overwriting of the map files, but since you said you fixed this bug, there isn't a need for this anymore?

I will do this.

- I think the "Fill: X" in the options of the surf editor, is a bit too flamboyant (dunno if that's the right word :S ). They can easily be clicked instead of placing the wall type, which again can result in losing your map. You could add another confirmation box when clicking them, if you're working on a map, to prevent accidentally losing it. You're only really going to be using it, if any, once a map, so I don't think it's going to be used very often. Maybe you could have just a 'Fill...' button, which brings up a new menu where you can click which rock type you want to fill in. At the moment there's 6 buttons for each fill type, which considering the regularity that you'd be using this function, seems a bit much.

Good idea.

- On the note of accidentally losing things, how easy is it to implement an Undo function? The good ol' Ctrl+Z always comes in handy. :P I can manage without one though if it's quite hard to implement.

This may not be easy to implement, but I'll have a look.

So yea, just a few more things to contemplate. Sorry that I keep posting a few more things a time (seemingly constantly), but I guess I should post them while I think of them, as I do tend to forget things like this quite easily. :/

~Matt

No no, I like you doing this. You point out things on a user level which I probably overlook most of the time.

EDIT: High BETA 1 Released.

One thing. Say you are editing the surf by placing solid rock. Then you change to the dugg. You click, and it places solid rock. The placement doesnt change when you change the file type. When you change from one to another, it should go to the default (most used) placement in that file type. File type meaning surf, dugg, high, etc... Or, it remembers what you last used. That would be nice. Looks great though.

Also one more thing. It would be nice if you added a marker to the high map, like +1 or -3 or +0, or whatever it may be to the high map. I know its only the Beta 1, but still.

Also one more thing. It would be nice if you added a marker to the high map, like +1 or -3 or +0, or whatever it may be to the high map. I know its only the Beta 1, but still.

If you show HEX Codes (under options), this could act as a 'marker' so you could see specifically how high things are. (e.g 0B would act as '+1'), but yea I guess it could be made clearer.

Good progress, although I've found a few bugs:

- Spelling error: Heightmap Editor is spelt as 'Hightmap Editor' (in bottom right corner when changing map types.)

- When going Fill All > Loose Rock, HEX Codes are turned on.

- When going Fill All > Hard Rock, the exporting a Surf file menu pops up.

- When going Fill All > Water, you get the error message, the importing a Surf file process starts, usually with the confirmation message of leaving the map you are currently working on.

Couple of other recommendations:

- I think that 'clear all', which is still in the options main menu, could be moved into the 'fill all' menu, and/or, have a confirmation box to make sure you don't accidentally click on it and lose what you're working on.

- In the Heightmap editor, it would be good if there was a faint background or something of the surf map. It could become annoying having to constantly switch between map modes, as to try and line up the height with the rock features. I realise this could be difficult since the maximum and minimum heights are coloured black and white, covering up the surf map if it was in the background, but maybe you could implement just a '+/-X' to each square in the heightmap editor, whilst having the surf map in the background. I guess this could be similar to what TheDoctor is hinting at.

So yea, don't mind my constant lists of things. It's coming along nicely. ;)

~Matt

One thing. Say you are editing the surf by placing solid rock. Then you change to the dugg. You click, and it places solid rock. The placement doesnt change when you change the file type. When you change from one to another, it should go to the default (most used) placement in that file type. File type meaning surf, dugg, high, etc... Or, it remembers what you last used. That would be nice. Looks great though.

Nice bug find and a good idea. Thanks.

If you show HEX Codes (under options), this could act as a 'marker' so you could see specifically how high things are. (e.g 0B would act as '+1'), but yea I guess it could be made clearer.

Good progress, although I've found a few bugs:

- Spelling error: Heightmap Editor is spelt as 'Hightmap Editor' (in bottom right corner when changing map types.)

- When going Fill All > Loose Rock, HEX Codes are turned on.

- When going Fill All > Hard Rock, the exporting a Surf file menu pops up.

- When going Fill All > Water, you get the error message, the importing a Surf file process starts, usually with the confirmation message of leaving the map you are currently working on.

Couple of other recommendations:

- I think that 'clear all', which is still in the options main menu, could be moved into the 'fill all' menu, and/or, have a confirmation box to make sure you don't accidentally click on it and lose what you're working on.

- In the Heightmap editor, it would be good if there was a faint background or something of the surf map. It could become annoying having to constantly switch between map modes, as to try and line up the height with the rock features. I realise this could be difficult since the maximum and minimum heights are coloured black and white, covering up the surf map if it was in the background, but maybe you could implement just a '+/-X' to each square in the heightmap editor, whilst having the surf map in the background. I guess this could be similar to what TheDoctor is hinting at.

So yea, don't mind my constant lists of things. It's coming along nicely. ;)

~Matt

Wow, I really messed up there. I must have been doing it then got distracted and went onto something else. Thank-you again for the suggestions.

EDIT: High Beta 2 is out now.

Well I'm restricted to having just one thing to complain about this time. :P

What doesn't seem right/is bugging me at the moment, is to do with the height level values:

You've defined the '0' value as HEX 0A, which doesn't seem right, as this is the 10th out of 16 values. As 0 is the middle of numbers, I feel maybe it should be 08/09 to represent the middle of heights. This way, there isn't such a contrast in lower and higher heights, where you can go to -9, but then only to +6. However this still won't be perfect since you can't have a whole number as the centre value when you have an even number of total variables. Is there a way to include 0 as a value, or maybe remove one of the extreme values, to leave an odd total number, which would allow you to have an absolute centre? (I.e this would let you have a 0 value while being able to have 7/8 values on either side. (E.g A range from -7/+7))

What also doesn't help, is when you go 'Set all height...', you have to enter a value between 1-16, which if you're not using HEX, could get confusing when 7 = -3 in height values.

So hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say there. If you don't, I can try and explain it a bit better. Sorry I'm being so pedantic, but my inner maths geek/obsession keeps bugging me when things aren't mathematically balanced.

~Matt

Wow Cyrem, you got Matt to talk. Amazing. Anyways, can you do the emerge maker next please (if you aren't already working on a different one)? Not too much to say about this one. I still don't like that you can't use it maximized. For big maps, that would make it easier to see. Typing that sentence just gave me the idea of a zoom in/out feature. Don't know how much it would be used, but just a thought. Thanks for keeping it non-install status, much appreciated. Uhhhh.... I'll let Matt nitpick you the rest on this one. Great work though. I think this calls for a wiki page update...

Yes that's me, lurking in the shadows, only posting when needed. Since noone else seems to be thoroughly testing it, I thought I would give it lots of attention, considering how much work Cyrem puts into it.

But yes, the zoom feature. You did mention Cyrem, that you could maybe interchange between the old 0.4 editor size and the new size? You seem to have edited your post that said that, so is this no longer an option?

Meh, I'll leave it at that. I'll leave Cyrem to decipher my mathematical theories on the previous page. I was just replying to TheDoctor to prove that I am active, and can talk when needed. ;)

Well I'm restricted to having just one thing to complain about this time. :P

What doesn't seem right/is bugging me at the moment, is to do with the height level values:

You've defined the '0' value as HEX 0A, which doesn't seem right, as this is the 10th out of 16 values. As 0 is the middle of numbers, I feel maybe it should be 08/09 to represent the middle of heights. This way, there isn't such a contrast in lower and higher heights, where you can go to -9, but then only to +6. However this still won't be perfect since you can't have a whole number as the centre value when you have an even number of total variables. Is there a way to include 0 as a value, or maybe remove one of the extreme values, to leave an odd total number, which would allow you to have an absolute centre? (I.e this would let you have a 0 value while being able to have 7/8 values on either side. (E.g A range from -7/+7))

What also doesn't help, is when you go 'Set all height...', you have to enter a value between 1-16, which if you're not using HEX, could get confusing when 7 = -3 in height values.

So hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say there. If you don't, I can try and explain it a bit better. Sorry I'm being so pedantic, but my inner maths geek/obsession keeps bugging me when things aren't mathematically balanced.

~Matt

It's at 10 as current, but I can pull it back to 8. I'll have to look at how I can do 'Set All Height'.

Wow Cyrem, you got Matt to talk. Amazing. Anyways, can you do the emerge maker next please (if you aren't already working on a different one)? Not too much to say about this one. I still don't like that you can't use it maximized. For big maps, that would make it easier to see. Typing that sentence just gave me the idea of a zoom in/out feature. Don't know how much it would be used, but just a thought. Thanks for keeping it non-install status, much appreciated. Uhhhh.... I'll let Matt nitpick you the rest on this one. Great work though. I think this calls for a wiki page update...

The next in line is the Cry Beta for placing crystals/ore. I think i'm leaning more towards a fullscreen editor rather then zooming.

Yes that's me, lurking in the shadows, only posting when needed. Since noone else seems to be thoroughly testing it, I thought I would give it lots of attention, considering how much work Cyrem puts into it.

But yes, the zoom feature. You did mention Cyrem, that you could maybe interchange between the old 0.4 editor size and the new size? You seem to have edited your post that said that, so is this no longer an option?

Meh, I'll leave it at that. I'll leave Cyrem to decipher my mathematical theories on the previous page. I was just replying to TheDoctor to prove that I am active, and can talk when needed. ;)

Muchly appreciated.

Yes I remember that. As I said above i'm leaning towards a fullscreen option but I'll test both and see what works out better.

Thanks for your time both of you.

Without even testing this, I ask the following:

When editing heightmap tiles, can one clearly see wich tiles in the map are angled to adjust the height difference?

Meaning, when you take a patch of tiles and make them lower than the surrounding terrain, how do you tell wich ones are sloping down and which ones are flat?

I would assume that the lower...I honestly don't know. I haven't tried it yet. But, I imagine, if you have say a -2 tile, and you have a -1 tile not next to it, but over another, then both are flat and the one in the middle slopes.

```-2```````-2/-1````-1

``````````````````________

________///////////////

I present the worst ASCII art ever!!!!!!!!!!!1 With the / being the sloped spot. I'll try this, im not sure if i can make it work though...

• Cyrem changed the title to Map Creator (0.9.11)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.