DRIVERS.DDB

Car CrazeXVI

In MENUDATA\PARTDB and GAMEDATA\COMMON, there's a file named DRIVERS.DDB. (Not the DirectX DRIVERS.DDB, haha.)

I experimented with it some time ago, and have it mostly figured out. Here's a snippet of Rocket Racer's entry, with added comments:

k_27    // Driver
    "RR"
    {
        k_33    // ID? Does it need this?
        k_29    // Driver GDB
        "rrpelvis"
        k_28    // Driver MDB
        "rrpelvis"
        k_2A    // Driver TDB
        "rrpelvis"
        k_2B    // Car
        "rr"
        k_2C    // Swiftness to use projectile or turbo (0-100)
        k_2D    // Swiftness to use shield or trap (0-100)
        k_2E    // Chance of turbo start (0-100)
        k_2F
        k_30
        k_31
        k_34    // Voice
        k_35    // Hat (Menu Only)
        k_36    // Head (Menu Only)
        k_37    // Body (Menu Only)
        k_38    // Legs (Menu Only)
        k_3A    // Use this power up at this level
    }
  1. Despite the voice parameter, the racer still uses a predetermined SBK file…
  2. The three parameters I didn't mark seem to affect the speed in some way. I think one of them is a catch-up feature, like in LR2 and Drome Racers, and another is a slowdown, when the racers gets ahead, and possibly another still is the general speed of the racer (I think the circuit number also increases that.)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Great find, I had a little fun using this . . . Gypsy Moth now has only a 45% turbo start ratio. Hehehehehe!!!
Veronica Voltage is also my preferred demo racer . . . however, I am wondering if (for the quickness to use entries) a 0 means the use it right away, like I figured, or if it's the other way around?

Gypsy Moth now has only a 45% turbo start ratio. Hehehehehe!!!

You cheater. xD

however, I am wondering if (for the quickness to use entries) a 0 means the use it right away, like I figured, or if it's the other way around?

Definitely the other way around. Why, look at Gypsy Moth; Her quickness to use or whatever-we-decided-to-call-these parameters are at 100, and thus, she uses power-ups pretty much instantly.

Can you expound on the "Use this power up at this level" part? That part is confusing me.

It's… well, it's use this power up at this level. It makes the driver wait to use a certain power-up until it has collected a certain amount of power-plus bricks. For example, GM won't use projectiles until she has 3 power-plus bricks. Thus, it's set to 1,3. The Baron's is set to 2,2, while Kahuka is happy at 2,0, and Rocket's is 3,3. Heck, you could set it to 4,3 if you wanted.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/11/2014 at 2:21 AM, Car CrazeXVI said:

Despite the voice parameter, the racer still uses a predetermined SBK file…

Not entirely, I messed with the k_34 entries and changed them to the "correct" ones (of course, they weren't correct because HVS is called HVS for a reason ?) but they were shuffled around a bit within each circuit: Ann Droid ended up with GB's voice, CR stayed the same, and (since I changed the parameters of RACEC3R0.RAB to use voiceC3 instead of voice C1) Rocket Racer ended up using Veronica Voltage!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.