Classic LEGO Games Ported to Garry's Mod/SFM

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

Downloads:

I've started doing some LEGO model porting on my break from porting models from 3D Worms games.
So. Without further ado, here are a few screens so you know what I'm talking about:

Torq Racer from Drome Racers

Spoiler

gallery_426_102_194800.png

Boat from LEGO Racers 2 (originally I was going to rip a palm tree, but this caught my attention. :P)

Spoiler

gallery_426_102_905962.png

I'll likely be porting other random stuff from all other classic LEGO Games too! (as long as I own it) So, since I'm clueless on what exactly to port, throw me some suggestions! This is not restricted to DR and LR2.

Important thing to note! I won't do landscapes and characters for the follow reasons:
a) Landscapes can't be ported due to Valve's custom map format.
b) Characters should be rigged, and I don't know how to do that (yet).

List of Games I can port from:

LEGO Racers (N64 Only, when I rip from the PC version it is like someone stuck the model in acid)
LEGO Racers 2
Drome Racers
LEGO Island 2
Island Xtreme Stunts
LEGO Rock Raiders

Soccer Mania

Bionicle: The Game

Games I can't do:

LEGO Island (too old)

-Others games I still have to test-

Chess

Creator

Creator KK

Ooh, this is awesome Xiron!

I've played Garry's Mod a fair bit but I haven't experimented with modding, so I'm not sure, but is it possible to make these imported models have functionality? As you said, "Characters should be rigged", which sounds like they can.

As for which models I'd like to see... I don't know, what about Rock Raiders? Having a base to explore on Garry's Mod would be pretty cool.

I'd love to mess with the Dome Racers models and attempt to make them into actual working vehicles.

Also, with porting custom landscapes, you can in theory do it by converting the landscape to an OBJ then using Crafty to convert it into a VMF.

Fluffy Cupcake

As for which models I'd like to see... I don't know, what about Rock Raiders? Having a base to explore on Garry's Mod would be pretty cool.

Been giving that a try, unfortunately, it doesn't rip.

What does rip however is stuff on ?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>[member=Cyrem]?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>'s viewer.... it is a shame he never finished it.

If there is an external program I can open the models in. I know you guys have made custom models before, in Lightwave was it? Can we import into that? That would probably work.

You want to turn them into cars? Be my guest! I'd love to see that.

Just give me a bit more time to get more vehicles first before I give the source.

Fluffy Cupcake

I've played Garry's Mod a fair bit but I haven't experimented with modding, so I'm not sure, but is it possible to make these imported models have functionality?

Likely. With the Worm models, I ripped some of the animations and ported it to Gmod as well with the model. I can't say I can do the same though for theses games though, because importers for their file type likely don't have a max script made for them. I'd have to make my own animations, which would take a lot of time and learning.

As for any other functionality, I don't know how to do those or what they are even.

using Crafty to convert it into a VMF.

Isn't Crafty just a viewer? Or am I missing something major? I didn't see anything about conversions in the description.

Why not port the Desert Speedster from LI2http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/5920-2

I'll get on it! (When I get home in several hours).

Is the LR2 or LI2 one better quality? I haven't actually compared.

(The model being in pieces doesn't matter... the Torq Racer was in pieces!)

Ooh, very nice.  I'd love to see more models from these games ported to GMod, especially Adventurers-based ones.  From looking at the games you own, I'd also be interested in seeing some BIONICLE: The Game models if it's possible.

I don't know anything about maps or rigging, but perhaps the folks over at websites like Facepunch could lend us a hand.  Sure, I have my ways of making BIONICLE and LEGO characters with what's currently available, but having the real deal would surely be nice.

Also, before you go porting LEGO Island 2 models, this guy already ported a ton of them to GMod, including the aforementioned Island Racer.  Just thought I'd save you some time.

On 10/18/2014 at 7:12 AM, PeabodySam said:

Also, before you go porting LEGO Island 2 models, this guy already ported a ton of them to GMod, including the aforementioned Island Racer.  Just thought I'd save you some time.

I think I saw that recently in a video, but I didn't realise they were the LI2 models. ?

EDIT: He's also experimenting on the LI2 Island! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=298579801

using Crafty to convert it into a VMF.

Isn't Crafty just a viewer? Or am I missing something major? I didn't see anything about conversions in the description.

Crafty has support to export models and VMF's as OBJs and vice versa (except for the model part)

EDIT: Also, can I get the MDL and stuff for the Dome Racers car so I can mess with it and try to get a vehicle script working for it?

Fluffy Cupcake

Already knew about the LI2 guy.
And... hey! He gave me the source in 10 minutes! :D

@Peabody Sam; Thanks. Knew about them ages ago, and I've already looked in partially in-depth about porting maps, so I know quite a bit already what can and can't be done.

@LUModder; Okay, I'll check it out! Yeah... I know I said I'll hold on to it for a bit until I get more, but heck, I'll just post it now, making it available to everyone.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rner7vl69q6iyfs/Torq%20Racer%20(Gmod).zip?dl=0
Also, I fixed the low texture quality.

Okay guys admit it, you never could get enough of throwing pizzas at people.
PzS5hCy.png
Someone needs to take this model and make a throwing pizza weapon out of it. :P

Edit: Well, it's a start, but at the current stage it won't go far.
dxeuK9B.png

As you can see textures like the arrow and stripes have no mapping done, and this took quite a while just to get all the textures right alone. I used Karsie's HP model for this.
I tried to export this trying both .obj and .3ds for usage in 3ds Max because I'm more familiar with it... but for some reason Max just hates exporting these files as SMD and crashes every time.

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

Thankies. Before anyone gets major on Ben's back. I did say in the Sbox that it would be nice if someone posted. I was not thinking that kind of post he did though.

I think you mean quadruple post though. ;P

Why not port the Desert Speedster from LI2? http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/5920-2

mumboking picks up ringing phone.
Xiron: Hello Mr. mumbo. This is Xiron's Portable Services. Your car is ready. You can come and pick it up at the garage anytime.
mumboking: Great! Thanks. I'll be there shortly.
Xiron: You're welcome. Thanks for choosing Xiron's Portable Services. You have yourself a great day.
*conversation end*

gallery_426_467_21841.png

This was the longest I ever took for a model. It was ripped from LEGO Racers 2. There was a lot of pieces to apply textures to, and I had to due a bit of a guessing game with some look-a-like materials.

I didn't rip it from LI2 because
1) Ninja Ripper doesn't work with it. (No, outdated 3D Ripper DX is not comparable with the program)
2) The msh2obj converter we have doesn't preserve UVW Mapping

Ben and Xiron, I think you misread something in the Global Forum Rules.

DO NOT Double Post
Double posting is when you make more than one post directly after a previous post you wrote. Use the 'EDIT' button to add or make changes to your post, then wait for another member to reply before making another post. The only exception to this is if the previous post is a few days old and your new post is going to contain purposeful information and not just "Bumping....".

The edit button exists for a reason, Xiron. :P It's precisely so that you avoid this sort of thing.

I honestly have half a mind to report Ben's posts as Spam. They are off topic and don't even contribute anything, anywhere.

I'd accept them if they had even the littlest of feedback, such as "great job Xiron, keep it up."

Half a mind? Three-quarters of a mind.

[/backseatmoderating]

EDIT: Forgot to say that you can't double post anyway. Cyrem stuffed in a little bit of code that just merges the two posts. It still comes up as a new post on the "newest replies" section on the Community Index.

As I was discussing with Xiron, I can't really say much on this as it isn't all that relevant to me. What I do want to ask is:

How usable are these in-game? Can you drive the car and sail the boat?

Fluffy Cupcake

O.T.
EDIT: Forgot to say that you can't double post anyway. Cyrem stuffed in a little bit of code that just merges the two posts. It still comes up as a new post on the "newest replies" section on the Community Index.

As I was discussing with Xiron, I can't really say much on this as it isn't all that relevant to me. What I do want to ask is:

How usable are these in-game? Can you drive the car and sail the boat?

Already knew that, and have been using it to its full potential in this topic. :P

Yeah... Ben's post are a bit spammy, and I did mention something about that in the Sbox too. When I say it would be nice for someone to reply so I don't have a load of stuff crammed into one post, I didn't mean make small spamish posts to solve the issue.

Back on topic... initially they don't no, but they can be scripted to be driveable or sailable, as LUModder was going to try doing several posts up.

Working on the Dome Racers as a car and the pizza as a weapon (or SWEP).

Will post back on any progress. Pretty sure the pizza will be done first as SWEP's are pretty easy to make.

On 10/19/2014 at 5:25 PM, Xiron said:

2) The msh2obj converter we have doesn't preserve UVW Mapping

What...? Do you mean UV mapping? I don't recall there being anything to do with UVW in LEGO Island 2 (or any retro LEGO game for that matter), and the msh2obj converter preserves UVs just fine. I got multiple versions of the speedster out of LI2 with msh2obj quite easily a few months ago.

[Dead Majost Image Link]

I didn't bother applying the proper textures to everything as it turned out I didn't need the speedster for what I was doing, but as you can see from the textures I did apply, the UVs are fine and dandy.

(Also, the speedster on the left is a single model, the wheels aren't separated for animation. The speedster on the right has the wheels separated, you can see they've ended up at the model's origin since msh2obj doesn't do deal with with animation/separate bits within a model. The textures and UVs are also different - the one on the left mostly uses a single texture for the grill, wheels, etc, the one on the right uses separate textures for pretty much everything. The geometry is also a bit different, the bits on the side of the engine are slanted on the left one, and the whole front of the vehicle is taller on the right one. I think there might be another or more variations of the model, but I didn't look into it too much - as said, it turns out I didn't need the speedster for what I was doing.)

• Like 1

I'd rather us start small then try to go big with stuff like playermodels (heck, that's why we have PAC3 and why a lot of people make some cool stuff with it). That's why I was offering to attempt to make some vehicle ents and do weapons until I can learn how to do a lot of the modeling stuff. It's gonna be hard to "piggyback" off of default animation sets due to model size for us to even rig the playermodels correctly (I may be wrong). I have tons of GMod coders on my friends list and I can ask them when the time comes.

Anyways, enough "ranting", onto some content.

Pizza Weapon (functional, viewmodels and worldmodels unfinished):

Spoiler

[Dead Image Link]

If anyone wants to offer up some SWEP Construction Kit made viewmodels and/or worldmodels, be my guest.

• Like 3

On 10/20/2014 at 12:16 PM, LUModder said:

Pizza Weapon (functional, viewmodels and worldmodels unfinished):

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the pizzas meant to go splat with some particle effects?

That aside, does it have the LI2 sounds with it?

On 10/20/2014 at 12:37 PM, mumboking said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the pizzas meant to go splat with some particle effects?

That aside, does it have the LI2 sounds with it?

I'll try to do either one of those when I can.

Fluffy Cupcake

It's amazing how small things look when you have a far view. In this case, Island Xtreme Stunts' island is the small looking one.

TFtz0Bc.png

Yea yeah, I know I haven't put that in gmod (yet), but I just wanted to show I wasn't dead in porting (if my constantly changing avatar hasn't said that enough). You know what the best part about this rip was? All the textures were already applied! I did absolutely no work.

Here PeabodySam, this one is for you.

qW1UTCp.png

Anyhow, I've added a list to the OP of the games that I have that are ripable.

• Like 7

MaelstromIslander

List of Games I can port from: LEGO Racers
Can you port king kahuka's car and minifigure? That would be extremely helpful (All the Gmod LEGO mods are awful)

I saw someone post a LEGO Island 2 map and a LEGO map partially inspired by LI2, I guess that was you, anyways, good stuff,

and I have a suggestion,

since you cannot do ragdolls just yet, you should instead do separate models of minifigs (props) doing different poses like

o/

/|

/

and

o/

|

/

or something like that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.