Monsters' Revenge (Aidenpons' Mod)

aidenpons

Rereading this post in 2019, are you? Well, just like the monsters are back, something will be coming soon to this topic.... ;) rebuilt, with new ideas, less general noobishness, and more challenges...

... the monsters' revenge awaits!

ETA this year. Probably early Dec-ish.

Progress thus far:

- I have a new level select menu and a way to proceed with the mod! Originally it was just a mishmash. Now it might still inherently be one, but it's an organized one. And one that I have a clear focus for & can continue working on.

- Implemented various bits hanging around RRU already (what, you thought I was doing them on their own?)

--- all the fixes & shenanigans in Improvements Pack

------ gotta copy over various bits of this that I haven't updated yet (lava erosion notification!)

--- Upgraded Hover Scout

------ have some more ideas for this (yes, more!)

--- Front Loader

------ Still got to do upgrades here

--- Would incorporate the Mega Mole but I can't see a strategic use for it. We already have the Small Digger, Granite Grinder, and Chrome Crusher. I might add it anyway, because MORE VEHICLES

--- Air Filter

------ With it, utter overhaul of how you'll build Rock Raider HQ. Some levels you won't even require the Power Station...

--- Spiders, Snakes, and Scorpions

------ Green and Purple Scorpions

------ Still have to find a use for any of these. They're nice critters but don't do anything beyond "get shot," and I have Rock Monsters for that.

- Smaller scope. 1000 crystals just becomes un-fun, unbalanced, and hard to control at around the 150 mark. So this mod will probably not go over 100 crystal requirements for level.

--- Who said level victory was tied to crystal count?

- Travelling and working over water & lava has never been easier as the All Terrain Laser Cutter is back  and, more importantly, the Tunnel Scout can now be upgraded to drill (in case of emergency laser bug) & carry!

--- Lava Defense Unit is now actually distinguishable from the Water Defense Unit

------ Still got to make it a little more distinguishable

Things To Do:

- Levels

--- The Path to Power and A Breath of Fresh Air are now going to be quite lengthy ;)  and will function as a ... tutorial for some of the newer aspects of the game

--- Got some ideas for... surprises... in Lava Laughter

--- Erosion in Oresome is going to be an actual challenge (what? yes, really)

--- Paving over slug holes in Rock Hard

--- I have very nasty ideas for Lake of Fire. No, not just the usual monster madness, this is something truly special :smug:Gonna require upsizing the map though...

- More Levels

--- I have nearly finished implementing some very nasty ideas for Air Raiders and Don't Panic, gotta playtest, bugshoot, and polish them

- Yet More Levels

--- Driller Night and Water Lot of Fun just need tweaking now

- Still More Levels

--- Rocky Horror II

------ Chief: This isn't right, Rock Raider. It looks so familiar yet.... it's not right. thundering and rumbling No, no, this wasn't supposed to happen! This isn't right at all! Hold on, we're starting up the teleporters on the LMS Explorer, but teleporting up so much equipment is going to take time. Hold on, Rock Raider: keep your HQ together for as long as you can as we start the teleport sequence!

Thus begins: the Monsters' Revenge

- content! there's not much more to say here, I know what I need to do and I just need to do it.

--- copy paste some remaining levels from previous build of Monsters' Revenge

------ The Bridge of Khazad-Dum

--- recolour more of Lava Defense Unit

--- add upgrades to Mega Mole and Front Loader

--- get Driveable Slug to work for the fifth time

--- poke monsters to see if I can change their boulder range

--- fix landslide parameters and general cfg shenanigans

--- balance, gotta get that in too

------ wall drill times

------ vehicle upgrade costs

------ building costs ?

--- custom videos ? ? ? ?

Levels that Are Done:

- Water Works (yes, this of all things!)

- not much else yet :/

I wanted to release a mod that completely changes LRR.

Original LRR was easy. It was very very difficult to fail. And really rather boring.

Baz's Mod was good... but to me it was a level pack and not much else. I'm not disdaining it... I just felt something bigger & better could be made.

Here is all my unused levels,  "ALL?" THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FOOOOOOOORM bits and pieces - the map creator is still in there, I didn't bother deleting it:

http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/363

Some are totally skeletal, but others are nearly finished.

Enjoy. *

Note: Hilariously outdated version below. That said, there's no more recent version available. Not yet, anyway...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddp4r75hj9om21y/AidenponsModUpload17_02_16.zip?dl=0

(~35 MB FYI)

Installation Instructions: Stuff the WADS in your game folder and just re-write the ones you have. (I just uploaded the wads)

Feeback? Rants? Speedruns? Also, if you have suggestions then please let me know by whatever way you deem the best.

*DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY OF HOW MUCH YOU RAGED AT THIS GAME

Edited by aidenpons
  • Like 4

Wait, does this mod make the game crash on purpose as one of its features? That or I am really stupid, which seems like the case.

Still, good job on this! A full year of work is really a lot. This topic deserves more attention, a prize for your hard work. :thumbsup:

Fluffy Cupcake

Sounds interesting, though I still have to finish Baz's mod first though, which I dropped due purchasing Freedom Planet. :P

I now just have to get my interest back...

Wait, does this mod make the game crash on purpose as one of its features?

When? On startup, in a level, when you teleport the Loader Dozer down... ? It works just fine for me.

I still have to finish Baz's mod first though, which I dropped due purchasing Freedom Planet. :P

*laugh* Personally, I didn't like Baz's Mod all THAT much. No offense meant, but frankly handhelds became useless and the Chrome Crusher an OP vehicle of pwnage. (If you have 1500 ore at your disposal... you'll see why it still is :P ). Plus, erosion's just a nuisance because the game doesn't handle it well. No, stop collecting the ore and BRING THE STUDS TO THE POWER PATH ALREADY.

Slugs became the only real challenge, and that was because they were spammed out in great numbers.

Don't get me wrong, there were things Baz did well but frankly I think a lot could be improved.

Which is why I made this. :P

Fluffy Cupcake
I still have to finish Baz's mod first though, which I dropped due purchasing Freedom Planet. :P

the Chrome Crusher an OP vehicle of pwnage. (If you have 1500 ore at your disposal... you'll see why it still is :P ). Plus, erosion's just a nuisance because the game doesn't handle it well. No, stop collecting the ore and BRING THE STUDS TO THE POWER PATH ALREADY.

Slugs became the only real challenge, and that was because they were spammed out in great numbers.

Don't get me wrong, there were things Baz did well but frankly I think a lot could be improved.

Ooooh yeah, that's for sure. The moment I teleport in a Chrome Crusher, the whole cave comes crumbling down! Also, yeah, I always end up collecting more ore than I could ever imagine I could possibly need for any mission. Yes... erosion is a pain, especially when the furthest raider away is the one who has to be the carrier of the ore to be placed on it.

Slug challenge? Heh, yeah. You've seen my slug video (which is from Baz's Mod) about non-stop slugs spam right?

It certainly did the more challenging part okay, although there was this one mission that took me nearly 4 hours to complete... a bit too long for my tastes.

This looks good aidenpons. I like your map style and the irregular forms of them  :thumbsup:

I haven't tried out the actualy overhaul yet, but I'll have a look when I have time for it.

When strolling through your custom maps I noticed that some maps have size differences between two map types so I cannot open these maps. Maybe this is the reason why Shadowblaze has some trouble starting the levels.

there was this one mission that took me nearly 4 hours to complete... a bit too long for my tastes.

When you think 4 hours are long for missions, you should try some of mine, they are of the same length I guess  :af:

When you think 4 hours are long for missions, you should try some of mine, they are of the same length I guess :af:

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait what? Which maps in particular? If it's Defend the Power Stations then that would make sense since that levels is simply spazzing out... (it's not called that, it's called something like 'Horribly Borked :P'When strolling through your custom maps I noticed that some maps have size differences between two map types

When you think 4 hours are long for missions, you should try some of mine, they are of the same length I guess :af:

Try Monster Mash. :P If RR doesn't crash... you'll be stuck in that game 'till kingdom come. :P (Especially since there's OH SO MUCH you can fail to do and then get pwned since.... Electric fences aren't all they're cracked up to be... (I would have given them an OxygenCoef AS WELL but frankly they'd become TOTALLY useless)

Ooooh yeah, that's for sure. The moment I teleport in a Chrome Crusher, the whole cave comes crumbling down!

Something about the Chrome Crusher: If you can't teleport it down, it's probably because of its ludicrous OxygenCoef of 10. The laser on it is really only good for delaying monsters, or mining that one wall across a lake.

The upgrades haven't been removed... it's just this:

UpgradeCostOre        0:0:500:1000

Yup.

(It's REALLY worthwhile though, if you have 1000 ore. Just get it... and you'll see why. :P)

Slug challenge? Heh, yeah. You've seen my slug video

I never said slugs WEREN'T challenging here.

Any of you ran into a Scorpion yet?

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait what? Which maps in particular? If it's Defend the Power Stations then that would make sense since that levels is simply spazzing out... (it's not called that, it's called something like 'Horribly Borked :P'When strolling through your custom maps I noticed that some maps have size differences between two map types

Level03 doesn't open in the Map Creator, Level06, Level07 and Level22. Everywhere the same error message:

One or more maps you are importing is bigger or smaller then each other.

Level03 doesn't open in the Map Creator, Level06, Level07 and Level22. Everywhere the same error message:

Aha, found the problem. It's that when I copied my map files over (this is fixed in later levels) I didn't replace ALL of them; say, because I hadn't MADE a Fall.map. In Level03 the offending file is a Fall.map, from the original level, but I don't ask for a Fall.map in the cfg.

For Level06 it's a Tuto.map.

For Level07 it's ALSO a tuto.map.

For Level22 it's simply that I forgot to delete the old ones which look like cror_22.map. I'm just using cror.map, which should also be in the folder.

So do I have any feedback on the actual gameplay itself? :P

• 1 year later...

I have not forgotten this.

However, with my new computer upgrade I need a virtual box to run LRR... which I really can't be bothered doing. Why?

LRR crashes and there is no save function. That is the only reason why I don't play it. I like my missions to span six hours in the most extreme of cases (one mission requires 1000 crystals), and with that some form of crash is inevitable.

Losing that much progress on a game is just... annoying.

As a result, I haven't touched it for six months except to touch some glaring issues out before I uploaded it. I'll update the OP with more info as I'm posting this first.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddp4r75hj9om21y/AidenponsModUpload17_02_16.zip?dl=0

(Hosted on dropbox because I can't find the file uploader. Send me a link/tell me how and I'll send it there.)

If somebody wants to take on this & lead it in any direction, they can go ahead.

• Cyrem pinned this topic
  • 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.