Freedom Planet

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

fplogo.png

http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/

The game has a demo, try it!

Freedom Planet 2 is a thing now due to the success of the first game!

Greenlight Freedom Planet 2 for Steam here!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=861154312

Freedom Planet is an indie game developed by Galaxy Trail. It takes inspiration from 90s platformer games, and you may see a bit of resemblance to Sonic in one of the character's playstyles (after all, it did start out as looking like a fangame), but aside from that it is in no way a copy-cat of any specific one of them. It has its own unique style. This game is not a Sonic fangame (as it does get compared to Sonic A LOT), but rather more of a sucsessor. If you love platformer games, you'll for sure want to pick this up! It has adorable characters, awesome OST, and voice acted cutscenes (optional)! This game brings a good challenge that you'll for sure love (Especially hard difficulty, I can't even count the amount game overs on two hands for a certain late game boss. :P). This game will provide you with hours of fun for sure. Play another character after you've already played one, and you won't be playing the levels and bosses the same with that character as you did with you previous chracter choice. All characters have a different playstyle, and bosses have various attacks. The difficulty in this game can range from snoozy easy to extremely hard, depending on what difficulty you choose from the options settings, which can be done between levels.

It's unfortunate this game lies under the mainstream radar despite how good it is. This game has an average user rating on GameSpot of 9.5/10!

I myself was skeptical at first if I should wait for this game to go on a Steam sale (Steam is optional) before getting it, boy I'm sure glad I didn't! Ever since I layed my hands on this game, I have loved every moment of it! No regrets in the immediate purchase ($15 USD). Well what are you waiting for? If you don't already own the game, go try out the demo!

This is a must try for any platformer fan!

tl;dr: Like retro platforms with its own unique style. It's awesome!

O.T. May I just say at the time this game was on kickstarter (that was long ago) it got funded by over 1250%? :o

No one asked me to advertise it like this. I just like the game so much (so evident as I've been talking about it for the last few days) that I just had to share it!

lol username

It takes inspiration from 90s platformer games, but is in no way a copy-cat of them.

Original video game, do not steal.

Fluffy Cupcake

It takes inspiration from 90s platformer games, but is in no way a copy-cat of them.

Original video game, do not steal.

No, really...? :P

I HIGHLY DOUBT anyone here cares, but I'll just post it here anyway because I have no better way of saying it. I did a speedrun of the whole adventure mode of this game (on the easiest difficulty level). This is the first time I've ever done a speedrun of any game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzxmH1royZc

The other guy talking in the video is my brother.

[table]

StageCharacter DifficultyTimeEntire GameLilacCasual82:03:50[/table]

My best times for all stages:

[table]

StageCharacterTimeDragon ValleyLilacNOT SAYING RIGHT NOWRelic MazeLilac06:34:03Aqua TunnelMilla04:44:62Fortune NightLilac07:38:32Sky BattalionLilac06:22:33Jade CreekLilac07:35:96Thermal BaseLilac08:40:05Trap Hideout

Milla05:28:66Pangun LagoonLilac07:39:57Battle GlacierLilac10:22:42Final Dreadnought 1Lilac03:34:06Final Dreadnought 2Lilac05:43:03Final Dreadnought 3Lilac04:07:55Final Dreadnought 4Lilac06:05:11[/table]

I have to say, I see no reason why you shouldn't just grab the demo now. (It's not big; only ~65 MB)

It's an awesome game, and even though I've only got the demo, I reckon that the demo alone is worthy of a game.

I haven't had much experience with games, so my opinion is really rather new, but this is now one of my favourite games. Get it.  Get the demo.

I really don't know how else to bribe you to get it as this is a forum dedicated to Lego games.... oh well. :P

GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT  GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT  GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT

pwease? :3

Fluffy Cupcake

The bosses on normal difficulty on this game have been nerfed (things like now having an attack pattern instead of randomized, and who knows what else) because they were deemed too big of a difficulty spikes. D:
But the challenge was so much fun. :cry:  At least hard mode is untouched.

Just thought I'd say this, but I've made a lot of .brstms for this game. For those that don't know what that means, it means infinite loops for the music of the game pretty much.
Find them here: http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/game/2472, just click on any song title, and then its page will popup as well as a player which infinitely plays the music like it would in the game, no fade out breaks.

Fluffy Cupcake

Leaderboards:

1st - Latias4Ever: 6:41.88
2nd - aidenpons: 6:52:33
3rd Shadowblaze: 8:03.84
4th - Drill Master: 10:26.46

Hello hello people! It's time for something completely different and unexpected from me. A giveaway competition!

What's the competition about you may ask? Well, since this forum is about games, I thought, why not do something related to gaming?
What you'll be doing for this competition is getting the best run you can on stage one of Freedom Planet, aka Dragon Valley, aka the only stage you have full access to complete on the demo.
If you hate time trialish things, read what I have to say in the Q&A for a full why explanation.

How to compete: What do you have to do you may ask? Well, first, if you don't already own the game, download the demo here: http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/index.htm (Windows and Mac only).
Secondly, as both Lilac and Carol, post your best times! Times for both characters will be added up for your total time. Don't worry, the game records times by character, not by best run by any chracter on the stage.
You can submit as many times as you want, no limits!
*Any speedrun times you've done before the time of this post is not a valid entry.

Deadline: Saturday, September 13th 2014, 12:00 AM Sharp (Midnight), Mountain Time (UTC -7)

If you win: I will need an email or Steam account to send the stuff to. So when I contact you, be prepared to hand out one or the other.
*If no response within 48 hours, you lose your prize to the next person in line.

Rules:

• Final results are required to be in video format (if you aren't on some video site like Youtube, just upload it to a file sharing site). If you have any issues where you still can't do this, contact me, amends can be made. If you try to pull a fast one (pun not intended) and cheat time, you'll be banned from competing.
  • If not time is not final, you can post a screenshot.
  • If you play on Easy difficulty, you will receive a +30 second penalty. If you play on Casual, you will receive a 50 second penalty. No penalty for other difficulties.

1st_zps9deceabd.png

Full Game + OST

*Choice of Steam or non-Steam version.

2nd_zps6ddca501.png
Full Game

*Choice of Steam or non-Steam version

3rd_zps68fc9034.png
OST

*Choice of Steam or non-steam version

(not 100% sure on this one, I can't think of any better prize at the moment because prints aren't available for the official artwork, and the one t-shirt merchandise costs more than the game itself!
If you have any better suggestions, please throw them my way!)

Additional Notes For First Time Players Regarding Gameplay: Don't try to tackle this all in one day, play a little bit (or a lot, whatever suits you), take it slow and gradually get your times down. You do have three weeks afterall. (How do you think >aidenpons and I got so good in a week?)
While not required, a game controller is recommended for the game.
Also, while time trial is the only thing you can do in the demo, you don't have to think of it as one while playing it to see if it interests you, it plays pretty much like the regular level, without the important bits, like cutscenes. Perhaps check a video on Youtube to see if the game is more interesting to you in the adventure mode aspect, and if it'll be worth fighting for if you still aren't sure.
Since I've showed it to several others, I'll show it here. This is one of my better times for speedrunning with Lilac.(Though it's still not my best. ;P). And here is another attempt with the same time but with alternate routes.

Also, here is a good Carol run by me as well:

• Like 7

What levels are ok to take times from?

What you'll be doing for this competition is getting the best run you can on stage one of Freedom Planet, aka Dragon Valley, aka the only stage you have full access to complete on the demo.
  • Like 1

Drill Master

Here is my first set of times. All I did with the picture is mesh the 3 screens and drew arrows to the respective times.

gallery_4309_262_16467.png

For a total time of 12:56:32. (I think I calculated that correctly :P )

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Hmm, nice times you got there DM. They are much better than the ones you were talking over with me earlier. ;P

Perhaps, just perhaps, after this is all over I will post my times and see if anyone beats them (I've had this game much longer, so I've had a lot more practice). ;)

*waits for aidenpons to knock the ball out of the park due to Time Trialing for a week now*

• Like 2

I haven't been posting here as I wanted my times to be under 4min for both of them. (I had been pretty much speedrunning since I got the game as their isn't much else to do :P)

BTW, the top one is Lilac and the bottom one is Carol.

med_gallery_7851_358_190816.jpg

> :P Muahahahahaha...

Also, to all your people who think "Hmm, I might try this:" One: When you get the demo, READ THE README. It has a lot of stuff on special moves that will save you a lot of time. Two: Look at other people's speedruns to see what you can improve on. (A lot of the ones I googled were the 1.6 demo in which the invincibility powerup was OP and the bosses were EASY; make sure you're looking at the 1.12 demo, which as is of time of writing is the one they have on their main download page). Three: Don't just launch straight into speedrunning. The Academy gives you a good bit of practice with stuff (no, so far there isn't anything in the levels about jumping on horrible thing platforms inb4 Xiron says 'Actually....' so that's all fine) :P and it's very good to run around on Dragon Valley just exploring so you get a good idea of the lay of the land.

And all of you should play this game. It's very good, and as I say to my friends: The sooner you get the demo and try the game yourself, the sooner Xiron and I will stop ranting at you about it.

except that Cyrem has a banhammer... and my friends don't.... :P

• Like 1

I was a bit reluctant on doing this because I have a terrible past of doing time trials competitively... But oh well, I had nothing else to do, so here are my times, I guess:

This one's with Lilac:

zwrIFit.png

And this one's with Carol (I hate her soooo much...):

8zhXYtc.png

I'd be in 1st if it wasn't for you, Aiden... I hate you too. ;_;

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Alright, more times! :D

Well, keep at it and you'll eventually catch up to aiden's level of expertise! You have a fairly decent starting time too, espesially with Lilac.

Official Carol Hate Club anyone?

When first creating the competition I was like: I should let people decide their character choice for speed.

But then I was like: Oh, but Lilac is easier to learn for speeding, so Carol will be left in the dark. LET'S FORCE BOTH! > :P

If push comes to shove, maybe, just maybe I'll revert to first thought.

• Like 1

Drill Master

If push comes to shove, maybe, just maybe I'll revert to first thought.

NO YOU WILL NOT. I've already put time into this. THE RULES STAY.

• Like 2

Well, I tried to get a better time for both, and I got it!

Here's my updated time for Lilac:

6HoUktU.png

And here's my updated time for Carol:

tc94Ouo.png

Still far from first, though... ;_;

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

That's right. Slow steps. Keep at it and you'll eventually get there!

Edit: Created a rules section in competition OP.

If any objections please say so.

And another update on my times!

First for Lilac:

y71Vf8O.png

And second for Carol:

zKQaem3.png

I'm coming for first place, Aiden, and you can't stop me!

Official Carol Hate Club anyone?

Jump + Pounce + Roll = EPIC SPEEEEED

Fun Fact: There are THREE fuel cans on Dragon Valley. One you will have found, the second is even EARLIER on and can be found within 20s (it's down the bottom) and the third is nearly a waste of time for speedrunning. At the beginning of the THIRD level, just walljump up and up and up and up until you find some jump pads. Then jump right as far as you can (Don't pounce). Use THOSE jump pads and you've now found it. :)

THERE IS ONLY ONE LORD OF AVALICE, AND HE DOES NOT SHARE PRIZES!

EDIT: (Didn't see Latias4Ever's post)

It might be instructive to notice that my Lilac time is HIGHER than my Carol time... :P Time to go back and revise... :P

EDIT2: I never posted my total time. I think it's 7:57:48. :P

Drill Master

Just thought I'd give you all a preview of my luck with games...

http://youtu.be/yBl0hngwQM4

Yep... Proof that games hate me.

(I say in the description, but right there where she got stopped, she was like flipping upside down rapidly and glitching out.)

Fluffy Cupcake

Lol what. YOUR BROKE IT. xD

Also, you do know there are no penalties for normal difficulty right? Only Easy and Casual have penalties.

It's time for me to update my times once more.

First for Lilac:

MWCXSaM.png

And then for Carol:

xkraaVa.png

I can taste the Gold already!

Drill Master

So I have officially quit trying. Here is my FINAL updated times. If anyone surpasses me, congratulations.

http://youtu.be/uWArYAAp8Lc

Way too much stress for my liking.

• Like 2

This is only one updated time, but it's enough, here's my update on Carol's time:

fRCvDRi.png

Hope you like Silver, Aiden, because that's what you have right now~!

EDIT: Decided to try out Lilac again, so here's another update time!

sLyykTe.png

Total time so far: 07:37:93!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.