Shadowblaze's LR2 Music Overhaul

Shadowblaze

And here it is, my secret project. I know most of you weren't expecting this before my album came out, but I can't sell the album until September, and I don't want to wait to upload this.

This is my music overhaul. Every music has been remade from scratch, and all of the musics in this mod are from my new uploads on my channel. I also tweaked all the fanfares, by making them a bit more modern or by remaking them. Now that I mentioned it, I should tweak the golden brick fanfare again because I don't like very much how it turned out...

Oh, and most of the musics here have exclusive edits I have made to make them loop better; also, the menu music has been made just for this mod, and there is an unreleased edit of Xalax. You are the only ones that will hear it until I release my album. :)

To make some musics fit better for the worlds, I edited some stuff, namely the weather in The Berg's Royal Rumble and the lights on the pillars in Xalax (they should be in sync with the Xalax music. At least, they are on my computer).

Download Link

v1.1: http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/217

Installation instructions: Drag and drop everything in your game directory. This mod overrides ARCTIC.WRL, so make sure you have a backup if you have modded it. Actually, back up everything!

By the way, you may NOT reupload this anywhere. I do own all the right about this mod, as my music is copyrighted.

As you might have realized, I am struggling to upload this because all the effort I have put in this, over three months of work, and getting nothing out of it. But oh well. :P

Fluffy Cupcake

And here it is, my secret project.

I guess it was so secret you didn't tell me it was secret. Good thing I didn't tell anyone. :P

Anyway, great job on this!

• Like 1

Yay, now we don't have to listen to that annoying in game music!

Not all of them are annoying. I think Mars, Riegel and The Berg have a nice music, at least they aren't in major scale. The others, well, meh. :P

The Ace Railgun

Yay, now we don't have to listen to that annoying in game music!

Not all of them are annoying. I think Mars, Riegel and The Berg have a nice music, at least they aren't in major scale. The others, well, meh. :P

There are a few, but are there enough to make it worth listening to the entire OST? In my opinion, no, I mean I can just find the separate theme on YT, so why bother suffering through the bad stuff :P

• 5 months later...

It's been a long time coming, but I finally installed your mod.

To be blunt, I hate the Racers 2 DI tracks. It sounds like they just took animal sound effects (especially the monkey), tribal drums, and Native American shouts, thew it in a blender and called it music. I seriously hate them, and I think it really detracts from the game and effects my ability to race (how can you do well listening to such rubbish?).

I installed your mod. I beat Dino Island in personal record time, beating most tracks, even Sam, on my first try.

I have no words to describe this mod, the work you've put into the songs, and the way it improves LEGO Racers 2 for me. All I have is this small thing, and even it cannot fully express how much I like your work here:

:af:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE v1.1: Tweaked the Golden Brick fanfare, and the menu music has never been so awesome. :glasses:

Download link: http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/217

I installed your mod. I beat Dino Island in personal record time, beating most tracks, even Sam, on my first try. I have no words to describe this mod, the work you've put into the songs, and the way it improves LEGO Racers 2 for me. All I have is this small thing, and even it cannot fully express how much I like your work here: :af:

Wow thanks, le! I am glad you like my work. :)

• 2 years later...

I was expecting All the original tracks had Remastered Version like the fanfares. It would be pretty cool to hear the Mars tracks completely remade wen it still sounds like the original but in a newer stile (time to start that but no MIDI files of the ost have been made)

• 1 year later...

Hey @Shadowblaze

I'd like to ask you some questions about the new soundtrack, specifically how you produced/composed it.

What program did you use?

What did you use in that program?

Do you still have the project files?

Did you use preset synths or make your own synths?

-- Talking specifically about that plucky bell synth in the intro to regular Arctic races (arctic.1), how was it made?

-- Do you have general tips for making synths?

-- What sample libraries did you use, if any? The drums are really cool!

Most of the tracks seem to be in the key of F minor (four flats), the sole exceptions being mars.3 and mars.4, which sound like they're E flat minor. Is this intentional, or did you just make what sounded good? If intentional, why is there so little variation? Not that all the tracks sound the same, no, they each have a very unique style fitting their world.

What was your inspiration to make these? And if it was LEGO Racers 2, what else? :P

How long have you been producing/composing electronic music? Or music in general?

And one final note:

Your soundtrack actually inspired me to write a possible LEGO Racers 3 soundtrack. I have completed tracks for three worlds (the Arctic world was very directly inspired by yours) and five bosses (two of which are divided into two phases). For that I thank you, and if you're interested in what I've made, I'll see if I can make them a bit more presentable and send you some. They were originally made in an iPad app called Music Studio, and now that I have FL Studio, I'd personally prefer it if they were enhanced. :P

Anyway, great music. Fast paced, exciting, with unique sound and thematic design. Would easily fit a fast-paced racing game, like GRIP, or Formula Fusion, or even Drome Racers! XD Thank you for being brave enough to share with the people of Rock Raiders United for free when you want to protect your intellectual property. :)

Shadowblaze

Thank you for your kind words haha. To make the tracks I used the lastest version of FL Studio at the time, which I think was FL11, but I relied a lot on VSTs which I don't use anymore like Massive as well as various sample packs and free soundfonts for percussion and real(ish) instruments. I think I also used 3xOsc surprisingly often, which is fun. If I recall correctly, I used presets only a couple of times and even then I modified them to make something that fit better what I had in mind.

The Arctic synth is pretty much a plucked square wave drenched in detune and chorus, nothing too crazy haha. Maybe a tip I could give you is to figure out the playstyle of the synth before actually going about designing it, if that makes sense. It works best for sound textures than strictly melodic content, but I do it all the time.

The tracks are all in the same key to have them tuned to the starting lights! The outliers are like that because I either started working on them before deciding to put them in the project, or because I wanted them to be in a particular key for some reason (D#m is my favorite key, and I started working on Mech knowing that it would be my favorite track hehe).

The inspiration was of course Stafford Bawler's music, but I definitely had some influences from EDM for the structure of the tracks and the drops. The music for Sandy Bay is largely inspired by Knife Party actually, despite not sounding alike in almost any way.

I started making music in mid 2012, and this project was my first attempt at breakbeat/DnB as well as an experiment to see how quickly I could come up with new music. I think I made the entirety of this in less than half a year if I recall correctly!

Hope this reply helped. Good luck with your future works!

@Shadowblaze

NICE! FL Studio's amazing! I've jumped fron 3xOsc to GMS to Sytrus, while using some VSTs like DEXED (open source Yamaha DX7 Emulator - FM Synthesis is one of my favorites!), and I LOVE Sytrus! Yeah, modifying presets is something I do a lot too.

Oh. Okay. So, would a plucked square wave have a sharp decay to it?

OH MY WOW!!! THAT!! is an AWESOME IDEA!! I imitated it from memory, and it was indeed an Ab note! XD Genius!! D#m is a pretty good one, yeah. I like Eb major myself.

Weirdly enough, there's not much in the way of similarities to the original LR2 soundtrack and your overhaul. Or were you thinking more Drome Racers, or other compositions by Stafford Bawler that I don't know about?

Oh, nice! I started composing my own music, as well as doing sort of remixes and video game music conversions, in 2014, but really picked up in 2015-16 I think. Wow, less than half a year! For 20 or so tracks!? Wow... I struggle releasing one original piece of music every three months! XD I did manage to fix up two previously made tracks and write three new tracks in December, released on the 25th, though... And I was cutting it real fine! XD

Thanks! You too! It was interesting to hear your thoughts on the tracks you composed. I like hearing all of the behind the scenes stuff! ^_^

Shadowblaze

FM is the coolest, yeah, I use Sytrus very often for sound design simply because of how flexible it is. I recommend resorting to some other plugin though if you need some big chords as 9 voices x 6 + FM is guaranteed to kill your CPU instantly (I've been there, it's not fun).

Plucked is whatever isn't sustained, so just try to set the decay to what sounds best for what you're aiming to achieve.

Inspiration does not equal similarity, maybe a certain aspect of a music is enough to give you an idea for something that on the surface might seem totally different. Plus I didn't try to copy what Bawler did, I just used his music as a very loose point of reference.

You really shouldn't draw comparisons, this was a challenge for me to make the best music possible in the shortest time; it's possible that if you did the same you would achieve the same results.

@Shadowblaze

Yeah, I've been there. Stuttering. Thankfully, we have render quality and edit quality! Unfortunately, we also get ringing artifacts. :/

Okay... I did some experiments, trying to mirror your arpeggio thingo in the Arctic Intro (Winter), and then trying to emulate a prerecorded synth instrument from Music Studio with some sample offset. I wasn't able to perfectly recreate either, but the potential is certainly there.

Good point. There is a difference, and I'm sure I was inspired by plent of other music that doesn't sound similar.

Yeah, you're right. Thanks for setting me straight about that. Would you be interested in hearing what I've written?

By the way, did you get the notification for this as an RRU email, or from the message I sent on Soundcloud?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.