A story not about a heroic knight

someswedish

someswedish

This topic is about my idea for a story that I would like to work on one day, and I would like to share these ideas with the community. Keep in mind that this is a very early concept of the story, and any information put there can and will change for the final product.

The Basic Idea

The story is about a typical fantasy world like many other, but instead of a sole focus on heroics and villainy, The story is going to instead to focus on the worlds lore and lives of the people beliefs, everyday problems and conflicts. The main character is going to need to learn about these various lore of the different people they meet to achieve their own goals. The plan is to make the lore simple, yet interesting so the audience will want to learn more about the world itself, its history and the reasons for the peoples belief. While in the meantime also showing the audience that the concepts of good and evil is not only untrue, but also faulty.

The races and the dragons

Humans

Spoiler
The Humans are alike many humans in many stories, mighty, proud and rather rely on themselves rather than other races as they are very distrusting towards them, especially the Dragons who attacked them several times.

In reality, humans don’t know much about the other races nor the lands beyond human civilization. So they don’t know the fact that they were attacked by rouge dragons, and not proper soldiers. But their pride and self efficiency has left them no desire to deal with anyone who is not a human.

Their culture are typical of a fantasy medieval world, they live in villages built by stone and sweat, and rules by noble family by monarchy. Compared with the other races, humans live in a life of luxury and filled with culture. That is if you are not one of the poor subjects, living of their endless hours of labor.

Elves

Spoiler
Close to nature and magic, the Elves are a race of high intellect and great conversation. Elves are taught to be kind and not to judge too quickly, which makes them notorious diplomats and they always seek to make peace for every living being.

The Elves are highly in tune to nature, protecting and nurturing any wild plant and creature in return for the power of magic. Magic is the most vital resource to the elves, as it has carved their lifestyle and given them great power to make their mark on the lands. They are capable to use magic in many ways from making their everyday chores easier to fending off any threats to nature and themselves.

Their relation with other races is mostly strong, though they do have many arguments with the dwarfs due to different points of views. But even then, their relations with the dwarfs is by far, better than with the distrusting humans. The Dragon on the other hand is by far the grandest and most valuable Allies. Being the first race to make contact, the Elves and Dragons have learned many things from each other and promised to protect each other’s when things comes to blows for one or another.

Dwarfs

Coming soon...

Dragons

Coming soon...

Example of the story...

(Note: Some of these names are only placeholders and are not final)

(Double note: Expect lots of spelling/Grammar and other language errors)

Spoiler

"In a kingdom in the land of man...

The golden age of peace has now lasted for ten moons, and the essence of peace has spread through out the land.

No man has been slain by the teeth of beast, no man has been murder by the assassins blade, and no man has fallen in battle for these ten moons.

Yes, there is still disease, yes there is still starvation, and yes there is still the threats of dragons flame.

Even so, the words of disaster has not been whispered, and the citizens of the human civilization strives ever forward, as it always has.

Alone. Yes, alone. We did not need the help of the stubborn dwarfs, nor did we need the assistance of the coward elves. We humans have face our challenges alone. And alone we will struggle, alone will we survive."

"Now children... who was these words written by?" Said the old lady whose reading for a group of children of various ages.

The children whispered among themselves, then a shabby dressed boy, oldest of the group stands up with their hands raised "I know the answer, Miss Grunt" "its from the late King Geronimus the fifth"

"Of?" Said the lady rather impatiently to the boy, who doesn't reply.

The lady sighs, "Its the late King Geronimus the fifth of the Kingdom of Kran, did any of you listen to our last lecture?"

"Clover!"

The old lady yells to a girl in red by the other side of the room besides a younger girl missing an arm.

"Are you paying attention you lady?"

The girl in red names clover nods "Yes Miss Grunt, Patricia and I have been listening every word! It" Patricia, the girl Next to her nods as well.

"Then please tell the class what the late King of Kran, Geronimus the fifth was renown for?"

Clover hesitated to answer, the other children started to quietly giggle and whisper among themselves.

Finally she said "He was renown for saving the village from the dragon attack in 45th natures white sleep, the year 256"

The teacher Miss grunt doesn't look content over Clovers answer.

"...And also the man who slayed the largest dragon in the land" Yelled out Patricia. "Clover told me! She is really smart miss Grunt!"

Miss grunt was not please at Patricia outburst "You never say something unless you have been allowed Patricia! Although you are correct, you still should know better."

Miss grunt focuses her attention towards the other group of children, And the class continues.

When the class has ended, only Clover and Patricia are left in the room. They both stare out of the window, where half of the kingdom of Kran can be seen.

Patricia moves out of the window and says to Clover"Is it true that your uncle meet real dragons?"

"He says that elves and dwarfs all know the truth of the dragon kingdom, but i don't know if its true" Says Clover

"Well what if its true, that there are nice dragons that live in houses like us? Wouldn't that be amazing?"

Clover doesn't respond the exited Patricia. Her mind has wandered to far into the depths of her mind.

The memories of her uncle are vague, but his words are as clear as the ice white snow when mother nature sleeps. His tales of his adventure, could they be true? Are there really a kingdom of dragons? Dragons just like us? Dragons who has family and home? Dragons who speak and thinks?

Clover has always wanted to learn whenever this was true or not. But with her uncle gone, and nobody else to help her. she seem to be destined to remain in the kingdom of man for the rest of her life.

...Alone will she struggle? ...Alone will she survive?

To be continued...

Thanks for taking the time to read this, i will update this OP whenever i have new things to talk about.

My thought on violence would be, would you describe it in a way that neither promotes nor vilifies violence itself but focuses on the reasons behind it?  Violence in self defense or defense of others, I believe, can be noble... depending on the reasons behind it.  After all, most would deem someone who killed a mugger to protect a child or, really, most "innocents", a hero... but would deem someone who protects a murderer voluntarily evil (with exceptions).  If a dragon is actively attacking and razing places to the ground without provocation, killing those who cannot defend themselves, would not violence in return be justified?  And would not violence aimed at a different dragon who is minding his or her own business be unjustifiable and bad?

I'm highly interested in this, as you may be able to build quite an interesting thing here that deeply explores things the average person doesn't think about often.  Even if I disagree with a few points of philosophy... I'd still be highly interested, and read/play/interact with it to learn your words, and then discuss over tea late into the night. =P

• Like 1

someswedish

@ Noghiri Thanks for your interest.

I was quite vague about the act of violence in the story, so let me talk Little more about what i had in mind. Keep in mind however that its all just ideas, so ANYTHING could change when i start to get to work if i find out something is to difficult or just wont work.

The story isn't suppose to be so violent that people gets terrified of it or enjoy it, its suppose to use the kinds of violence that could be allowed on storied aimed for young people, even young children if possible. so there wont be any blood or or people getting stabbed or sliced to bits, but people in the story are still capable of dying, and the story wont just pretend their sleeping or they where taken away, never to be seen again. If the person is dead, they are dead, and the story wont hide this fact form the audience. And the fact that danger lurks within the supposed wonderland the hero finds themselves, and that some people, although not evil in reality, still do things that are terrible for one reason or another.

I suppose its all suppose to play with morality, often questioning the trope that the hero is always right and just no matter what, and that the villain, even if they have good reasons, are all way deserving of being beaten up or killed for the deeds. the hero will find themselves learning various reasons of why conflicts of the world happens, yet try as they might, they cannot prevent the casualty that theses conflicts bring to the world and cannot bring the sides together for understandable one reason or another.

Basically the story tells that denies the whole good and evil things, and that bad things happen because of the conflicts of belief and simple pride, greed and misunderstanding. And hopefully try to give the audience a lesson to instead of jumping the gun and fighting each other, to talk out any conflicts they encounter and try to find a solution so that both sides don't fight each other. And even if they cant solve the problem, the fact they tried makes them a better person who simply shoots first, ask question later.

But in reality, this is only a small part of the story. The world isn't actual a very violent place, intact the humans in the story call the time they live on "The era of peace" as the human realm is found to be a very safe place where not even the wild animals would dare to attack the humans. The story is more supposed to be focused on the world itself, and their history and lore. the audience will experiencing the norms and lives of the four main species of the world, and hopefully promote the audience to discus things like "is the Elves or Dwarfs livelihood better than the one of real humans?" "Are the hostilities form one race to another justified, or is it simply out of pride or greed?" "Could the humans get along with the dragons if they would not be so distrusting to them, or for that fact, everybody who is not human?" "What would our world looks like if, like the dragons, the females are "superior" and the males where "inferior"?"

I could go on for a bit, but basically. Violence isn't going to be used allot or brutally, but its still going to be there, and the story wont pretend its not there unlike many other children media and stories.

Fluffy Cupcake

I must say I'm quite interested in this. It kind of reminds me of this game I watched an LP of where you get to be a few characters, and if the character you are being dies, they die for good, there is no lives. Once the character is dead there is no revival, and yet the story still progresses. If everyone dies, I guess then that is pretty much game over then and the (still unknown) villain, who is not out for world domination, only to cause you pain, wins, and the world still rolls on without you. The game's setting was on Earth.

Honestly, you can't just explain what the story is going to be about. You really have to give us an example chapter, because that will speak more about your project than anything else.

On the violence discussion, use violence as a tool to convey the message of the story, but don't worry about its social impacts. Art is not about bending over to censorship, it's about trying to showcase humanity in its current state.

• Like 1

I have redone the OP and added something more simple and clear for the idea of the story, I have also written a short novel of what the beginning of the story would be like.

I will Update the OP with more info at a later date, maybe i talk more about the world and the different kinds of species in detail.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.