Sound and music editing does not work? Why?

alan

Hey

I was following these two tutorials to change one music and several sound effects (I wanted the footsteps of a walking racer to sound like a rock monster :P ) but neither the music nor the sound effects work (and no, I'm not too stupid to follow the tutorial).

I really have no idea what the reason could be... However, my LR2 version (my exe) is from Monday, 13th August 2001. Size 1.400.832 Bytes

Maybe this is helpful for some people if the problem sticks together with the version of LR2 (similar to LR1 modding).

Edit: Here's how I did it.. I don't find any mistakes  :S

http://youtu.be/3mMSFK-aaiw

Odd, I just followed the tutorial myself (it is my tutorial after all :P) and it worked it for me. You would not mind sending me the MP3 in PM for me to quickly test, would you?

grappigegovert

It could be a permissions error.

You can try exporting the file to, for example, your desktop, and copying it to the game dir after that.

It could be a permissions error.

You can try exporting the file to, for example, your desktop, and copying it to the game dir after that.

I don't think that is it. If a permission error is encountered, you are asked if you want to save to your Documents instead. I've had that happen to me before. alan and I are working on this in PM, and I hope to post a fix soon. :)

Fluffy Cupcake

@1:04 in the video. Press the Clear (Löschen) button and see if that helps. I know metadata can sometimes screw files for certain things. That is the only thing I can see that may be a problem (aside from saving directly in a Program Files location as already discussed) that is causing an issue.

Shadowblaze

I know metadata can sometimes screw files for certain things.

Hm, nope. In my LR2 custom musics there is a lot of metadata there, and there are no problems at all.

As far as I know, the files don't work properly if you save them as .wav and then change the extension to .1 or .2, and so on. Try exporting the file as sandybay.2, it's the only way I know that actually works for me.

Fluffy Cupcake

As far as I know, the files don't work properly if you save them as .wav and then change the extension to .1 or .2, and so on. Try exporting the file as sandybay.2, it's the only way I know that actually works for me.

That would of been the second thing I pointed out if metadata wasn't the problem. :P

It could be a permissions error. You can try exporting the file to, for example, your desktop, and copying it to the game dir after that.

(aside from saving directly in a Program Files location as already discussed) that is causing an issue.

I already tried that. Normally I save them on the desktop but because I was recording with Fraps I had to disconnect my second monitor (fraps is glitchy when you try to record the desktop with both monitors plugged in). This would have lead to an icon mess on the desktop and that's why I just deactivated all icons (and so I wasn't even able to see the saved files on the desktop). 

@1:04 in the video. Press the Clear (Löschen) button and see if that helps. I know metadata can sometimes screw files for certain things. That is the only thing I can see that may be a problem

Doesn't work either. I already tried to import Rock Raiders sound effects (so there's no metadata at all) and I had the same problem.

Edit:

That would of been the second thing I pointed out if metadata wasn't the problem.  :P

Thank you! That was the problem ... It's working now!  :D  :D

Does it actually work for you even if you change the extension afterwards?

Shadowblaze

Thank you! That was the problem ... It's working now! :D :D

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

Never even tried, I never had to do that. To prevent problems, just export the file again with the correct extension. ;)

Thank you! That was the problem ... It's working now!  :D  :D

This... makes no sense to me. File extensions do not control the file format. So how on earth exporting the audio with the .1, .2, etc. extension instead of with the standard .wav extension and renaming it works I am totally stumped by....

Shadowblaze
This... makes no sense to me. File extensions do not control the file format. So how on earth exporting the audio with the .1, .2, etc. extension instead of with the standard .wav extension and renaming it works I am totally stumped by....

Apparently, the different extension does more than simply making it a wav. As you might have noticed, files exported to the LR2 formats are weirdly messed up. If I recall correctly, that doesn't happen when you export to wav. Anyway, what you are exporting the file to is "Other Uncompressed Files", not wav, that is just the extension you change the file to to make it readable from outside the game, so the LR2 files are not wavs. What I think Audacity does is that when you export an "Other Uncompressed File" with the wav extension it saves it as wav. wavwavwav

...Or I'm just making absurd suppositions and I should poof away. :P

EDIT: Wow, this is the most badly written post I have ever did. I really have too poof away. :P

...how on earth exporting the audio with the .1, .2, etc. extension instead of with the standard .wav extension and renaming it works I am totally stumped by....

Try comparing the file exported without .2 with one that was exported with it. Audacity may have done something strange.

...how on earth exporting the audio with the .1, .2, etc. extension instead of with the standard .wav extension and renaming it works I am totally stumped by....

Try comparing the file exported without .2 with one that was exported with it. Audacity may have done something strange.

It DOES!

Apparently, the .1 or .2 or .3 etc. does indeed matter! Here I compared two exported .1 and .2 files. !They use the same audio!

Here's a screenshot of some of the diffrerences: (Red = Different)

YiAshy.png

As you can see, they differ a lot!

So, make sure you export it with the same file extension as the actual file you want to replace!

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Thanks for sharing KevinVG207. This is rather odd though, because as le717 said, extensions do not control the format, yet when exporting from Audacity, it does. Very strange indeed. /:|

Thanks for sharing KevinVG207. This is rather odd though, because as le717 said, extensions do not control the format, yet when exporting from Audacity, it does. Very strange indeed. /:|

Because file formats are interpreted differently by the programs that use them. Audacity assumes that the file format it takes in indicates what the contents of the file will be, since it's supposed to handle multiple file formats. The same cannot be said for the game, which probably looks at the header or contents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.