Let's Make a Community Project

McJobless

32 members have voted

1. 1. PART ONE: What Game Do We Mod?

• LEGO Rock Raiders
    • LEGO Racers 1
    • Other (Describe in the comments)

Drill Master

Speaking of... How does the RRU tower get damaged anyway. I have 3 ideas.

1. RRU has enemies that hate our guts and want to bring us down.

2. The reactor core in the underground levels to power the coffee machines went into meltdown.

3. Spoilered in case you haven't seen TLM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx3o9aq1D5Q

Joking aside, seriously what should happen?

Then the solution would be making any vehicle work with the raw ore, and not letting the player put inside the vehicle more than 3 raw ores. This way we make the refined one remain usable for other stuff, while being the same as the raw ore. That is just a concept, I don't remember anything from LRR and I haven't played it so much as you did, and anyway I don't know if this is possible to do or not. Or, you could replace any object with the purple Energy Crystal, add a thing where you can see how many of these you've got, and make its only use be checking when you can make the OP Chrome Crusher work.

Vehicles require crystals to be built, no ore.

As for a script which checks how much X you've got, it only works (IIRC) for crystals stored, ore stored, minifigures on level, minifigures on a specific tile and objects on a specific tile.

Speaking of... How does the RRU tower get damaged anyway. I have 3 ideas.

1. RRU has enemies that hate our guts and want to bring us down.

2. The reactor core in the underground levels to power the coffee machines went into meltdown.

3. Spoilered in case you haven't seen TLM.

Joking aside, seriously what should happen?

I figured that one of the reactors that Cap't Rex put in underneath Cyrem's level went KA-BLEWY! and so now the other ones are all unstable and the building is falling apart. Maybe part of exploring can be to find clues about what did damage to the building in the first place?
Shadowblaze

Vehicles require crystals to be built, no ore.

But can't you change that to make ores being required vor vehicles?

As for a script which checks how much X you've got, it only works (IIRC) for crystals stored, ore stored, minifigures on level, minifigures on a specific tile and objects on a specific tile.

You said "if I recall correctly", maybe we can do that. The ones you have mentioned are all objects after all.

Maybe part of exploring can be to find clues about what did damage to the building in the first place?

No, that would make this game become a detective story. Let's go with the anti matter explosion kinda deal you said earlier on in the Shoutbox.

But can't you change that to make ores being required for vehicles?

Noo... I've tried this and it hasn't worked.

I'm going for Rock Raiders as we can mod it better -

I personally voted for LegoRR since I think there's a lot more variation on gameplay we can do. We have access to the scripting system and a lot of gameplay elements and glitches that we can exploit.

Something I want to add to that - it's far easier to make a difficulty curve on RR and indeed it's far easier to make it harder.

RRU has enemies that hate our guts and want to bring us down.

Greenpeace? :P

The INFODERPIAC's GREENREDBRICKS could have been misplaced or something... I think that we should try to tie it into LI.

I'm guessing Cyrem will be Chief that pops up? :P

Fluffy Cupcake

I'd vote racers, but I don't think we can do enough yet, and not efficienly either.

We can't make custom tracks and models, and changing checkpoint and AI routes and such are too much of a pain in the butt to even change right now (I can modify this and more more easily on LR2. So, unfortunately I will not be voting LR for these reasons. RR isn't my game of choice, but it is by far the most modable game we have.

As for making a topic on what we can and can't do in LR, I can probably do one in a few days when I'm back home.

I love how McJobless mentions a RRU theme for RR in the OP, and that I what everyone is discussing with no secondary suggestions. ;P

And McJ, I just thought I'd point out you said "I thing" instead of "I think" in section 2 under The Concept section in the OP. ;)

• Like 2

But can't you change that to make ores being required vor vehicles?

Resources are pretty much all locked. Sorry.

You said "if I recall correctly", maybe we can do that. The ones you have mentioned are all objects after all.

It's going to check a specific tile, though. 

No, that would make this game become a detective story. Let's go with the anti matter explosion kinda deal you said earlier on in the Shoutbox.

I was throwing a suggestion out there. It could make the game a little different to vanilla LegoRR if there's some meta gameplay.

I'm guessing Cyrem will be Chief that pops up? :P

I actually haven't even considered who will replace the Chief, if we'll have one. I'd probably give the role to Cirevam since he's the new Admin.

I love how McJobless mentions a RRU theme for RR in the OP, and that I what everyone is discussing with no secondary suggestions. ;P

I'd really like people to suggest other stuff so we can pick and choose, but apparently we're pretty happy as it is :D4

And McJ, I just thought I'd point out you said "I thing" instead of "I think" in section 2 under The Concept section in the OP. ;)

:|

So when do we get our assignments? I'm eager to work on this.

I'm going to modify the OP in a bit, but basically we need to get a list of people willing to be a part, and then we need to start working on a design document. You can make some prototype stuff now if you want, but I reckon we should focus on design.

Would there be monsters in the game? If so, will they be the same, or updated to fit in with the new settings?

Monsters were a core part of the original LegoRR, so I presume they'll also be a big part of this one. We can probably change them into LMBs (zombies from the LEGO Message Boards) or similar.
  • Like 2
Car CrazeXVI

Just gonna say some things…

But you haven't got any purple energy crystals

Isn't that good? Purple crystals are, after all, crystals too drained to be of any use until they're recharged. Unless you want to go for different kinds of crystals.

Biomes are hardcoded so that a specific type of monster will always appear on that biome.

No they aren't. Each level has an "EmergeCreature" setting which can be set to any monster with an "Emerge" activity.

Greenpeace?

Har har har.

Sorry, no ideas right now. Maybe later.

Biomes are hardcoded so that a specific type of monster will always appear on that biome.

No they aren't. Each level has an "EmergeCreature" setting which can be set to any monster with an "Emerge" activity.

CarCraze is correct. We can choose which monster will emerge from walls and which monster will emerge from slug holes on a per-level basis. We can also add more monsters into the OL file, so you can have as many types of monsters as you want, but only two types can ever emerge.

And you can have more than three biomes in LRR. Time Raiders has four.

CarCraze is correct. We can choose which monster will emerge from walls and which monster will emerge from slug holes on a per-level basis. We can also add more monsters into the OL file, so you can have as many types of monsters as you want, but only two types can ever emerge.

And you can have more than three biomes in LRR. Time Raiders has four.

It's been about 3 years since I've touched the mods :P

I think I was thinking about UI or something else. Doesn't matter now.

I'm working on finding us a nice-looking, online document editor so we can all contribute to this design document.

The Ace Railgun

Are we going to have custom items that represent different members, i.e. Addict's cookie, Cyrem/Cirevam's Ban Hammer, McJobless's Pants ect.?

Shadowblaze
Are we going to have custom items that represent different members, i.e. Addict's cookie, Cyrem/Cirevam's Ban Hammer, McJobless's Pants ect.?

Why? What would those be needed for? As an Easter egg, ok. As a tool or something, I don't think so.

We can probably change them into LMBs (zombies from the LEGO Message Boards) or similar.

I think we were going for a serious mod, not the usual RRU randomness (I mean, not that random). We have still to define what the storyline is.

The Ace Railgun

As an Easter egg, ok. As a tool or something, I don't think so.

I was thinking more of an Easter Egg, since yeah as tool they'd be useless.

I don't think we can do an RRU mod without them. We'll have to stick my chair (that McStudz stole) in there somewhere too.

Why? What would those be needed for? As an Easter egg, ok. As a tool or something, I don't think so.

Replacements for the Raider tools? Joke props that appear during the idle animations? We'll figure it out at some point.

I think we were going for a serious mod, not the usual RRU randomness (I mean, not that random). We have still to define what the storyline is.

As you said, we're still figuring out the storyline. But, I have a hunch it's going to end up leaning more towards humorous. A serious mod might come off as dull and only for the hardcore fans, whereas something more light-hearted might appeal to more people. We can absolutely merge a serious plot with funny elements. People getting stuck in a situation and then the unexpected happening is a staple of Hollywood.

We'll see what happens though.

The Ace Railgun
We'll have to stick my chair (that McStudz stole) in there somewhere too.

And DM's headphones, my Railgun, and a plethora of other items I can't think of right now.  

Replacements for the Raider tools? Joke props that appear during the idle animations?

There are some items that'll work in game, such as Addict's cookie which could replace the sandwich, my Railgun one of the blasters, Cyrem Cirevam's Ban Hammer the Spanner etc. Though, some items like McJ's Chair (stolen  by studz) and pants enforcing could be shown though the cut scenes and we probably need a reference to Legos in space.  

I'm with Xiron on this one. I would much rather see a Racers community mod, as 1. I've only played the three intro levels in LRR and that was some time late last year/early this year, and 2. I think Racers would be a much more fun game to mod, but our current modding ability is really limited compared to LRR.

O.T.
Yo @WillKirkby, how's Goldp.dll reversing/LibLR1 reworking coming?

Considering LRR is the namesake of this community, I think it would be a fitting if the first successful community overhaul mod (the LR2 voices project is not technically overhaul) is for LRR. There's plenty of tutorials, tools, and resources available, we know our limits, where we can expand, and what issues to workaround. I'm not casting my vote yet, but right now I'm leaning towards LRR for the game of choice (despite my strong wish for Racers).

As for ideas, sorry, I'm fresh out. If I have any I'll post them, but I'm not the super-creative type.

I'm not trying to come off as antagonistic, and we might end up using your ideas, but I'd much rather have as much less reliance on the cutscenes and the "Rock Raiders canon" as we possibly can. The cutscenes, if we even decide to render some, should maybe offer jokes and a little insight into some of the characters. Rewards for playing/finishing the missions, but overall not extremely important for motivating the player to keep on going.

You'll remember that the original cutscenes were the same; they were jokes that offered a little insight to the characters and the world, but they didn't really give you much story, which was okay. The story came from the player's experience, which is what we should focus on.

So much this. As I said in your social experiment, one of my biggest grips in Batman 2 was the 5 minute long cutscenes where the story was told. I'd much rather watch shorter cutscenes with humor, a bit of cannon, and whatever else thrown in and learn from gameplay instead of sitting through those things (refer back to any TT Games before Batman 2; I particularly like the Indiana Jones 2 cutscenes).

EDIT:

There are some items that'll work in game, such as Addict's cookie which could replace the sandwich, my Railgun one of the blasters, Cyrem Cirevam's Ban Hammer the Spanner etc. Though, some items like McJ's Chair (stolen by studz) and pants enforcing could be shown though the cut scenes and we probably need a reference to Legos in space.

Don't forget the shark LANDSLIDES HAVE OCCURRED! I don't care if it is part of the vanilla game. TEE VEE Landslides are a big deal in this community, and they certainly cannot be taken out.

• Like 4

I'm with Xiron on this one. I would much rather see a Racers community mod, as 1. I've only played the three intro levels in LRR and that was some time late last year/early this year, and 2. I think Racers would be a much more fun game to mod, but our current modding ability is really limited compared to LRR.

I'd honestly prefer a Racers overhaul since we haven't done one yet. But like you said, LRR is much more moddable, so that's where I'm placing my vote and my support. We need more than one insane programmer to reverse-engineer everything, but maybe this could be a good opportunity to get people interested in figuring out all of Lego Racers' formats.

For now, I could at least offer a consulting role where people ask if certain ideas are possible with LRR's limitations and give a yea or nay. We had better make sure our ideas are even possible. Having to ditch half of your plan because of some bad programming practices is what led to RtPU's decline and it gutted Time Raiders.

• Like 5
Fluffy Cupcake

Okay, I haven't yet said it, but I would indeed like to take some part in this project. I don't know what yet though. I've always loved modding sfx in games (I have 30,000 sfx (about 5 1/2 GB) on my hard drive. :P), so that could be one thing I do.

Just thought I'd say it here to close off what I said about making that What We Know topic. I made one and it is >here.

I'm working on finding us a nice-looking, online document editor so we can all contribute to this design document.

Google Docs?

I'd honestly prefer a Racers overhaul since we haven't done one yet. But like you said, LRR is much more moddable.

Well, almost all files can be edited with the binary editor, although some can be a pain to edit this way. Even with being able to do all this we still have one large drawback at this time, not being able to make custom models. Though perhaps like you said, making a mod for LR will bump up the knowledge on what we know on the formats.

Brickulator

I'd definitely love to be involved with something if we went with Racers. I've never modded RR and probably haven't played it for well over 10 years (don't hate!) but I want to get back into the Racers stuff o/

I'd honestly prefer a Racers overhaul since we haven't done one yet. But like you said, LRR is much more moddable.

Well, almost all files can be edited with the binary editor, although some can be a pain to edit this way. Even with being able to do all this we still have one large drawback at this time, not being able to make custom models. Though perhaps like you said, making a mod for LR will bump up the knowledge on what we know on the formats.

Thisthisthisthis. Agreed, perhaps plans for an LR mod would help bump format knowledge, but I don't want another Candy Raiders, RtPU, or Time Raiders to occur (not that I know about any of this, just what I've picked up). That's why I'm leaning for LRR despite my wish for a Racers mod, because we currently know exactly all what we can and cannot do. We do not know that for Racers.

Fluffy Cupcake

I'm with DM there, what's going on with this?

I seems to have gotten rather quite around here. unfortunately. D':

Yes that is a big overreaction, but really is the interest for this mod diminishing already?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.