Obscure LEGO Merchandise

Sadie Meowsalot

Sadie Meowsalot

As the title suggests, this topic is purposed for the general discussion of obscure and/or rare LEGO merchandise. 

In particular though I wanted to share some obscure Japanese Rock Raiders merchandise I acquired sometime ago via an online Japan shopping intermediary service. 

Included among them are the following:
-11 Japanese LRR sticker sheets, all of which are duplicates

img_3029.jpg

-A green Rock Raiders CD case with the Chrome Crusher, a Rock Monster, ore, and Energy Crystals printed on the front

img_3031.jpg

-What's apparently a functional miner's headlamp in its original box

img_3027.jpgimg_3023.jpgimg_3024.jpgimg_3025.jpgimg_3026.jpg

-2 sealed Jet keychain polybags

img_3030.jpg

-18 Japanese LRR cards featuring a silver scratch-off area on the front, along with a telephone number and other information on the reverse

img_3021.jpgimg_3022.jpg

What's especially interesting about this all is that the aforementioned cards seem to have been geared towards a contest of some kind given their contents. Further, on the back there's 4 prizes/items cited, and if I remember correctly, they were cited also in the auction's description, and when the page was translated by Google Chrome they were revealed to be the other items included in the auction. Perhaps hinting at the possibility that this contest never took place or didn't pan out exactly as planned. 

If anyone can help shed some more light on this please do so.

Well, I found something else about RR merchandise:

Go ask Cyrem how he got them.

It's funny how all of these are in Japanese. Why would Lego sell exclusively to such a market?

Sadie Meowsalot

It's funny how all of these are in Japanese. Why would Lego sell exclusively to such a market?

There were also a series of 4 promotional mini-sets released in conjunction with the Japanese confectionery company, Kabaya in 2000.

Additionally, Hallfiry added the following merchandise to the wiki:

928228 Rock Raiders Mine Lamp (Germany)
927160 Rock Raiders Mug (Germany)
927155 Rock Raiders Patch (Germany)
928264 Rock Raiders CD Bag (Germany)
928447 Rock Raiders T-Shirt (Germany)
928448 Rock Raiders Sweatshirt (Germany)
927151 Rock Raiders Desk Pad (Germany)

So provided some of these refer to the same items imaged in the original post, it's possible they were marketed outside Japan also.

Quisoves Potoo

There were also a series of 4 promotional mini-sets released in conjunction with the Japanese confectionery company, Kabaya in 2000.

Ah yes, Kabaya. They also released a number of pre-existing LEGO sets with their candies as polybags. Turaga Vakama, Nokama, and Nuju, for example.

There are also the Nesquick promo sets (comprising four Studios and one Drome Racers set.) I'm not sure how obscure they are, but I thought I'd mention them, just in case.

They are: 4049 Nesquick Rabbit Film Set, 4051 Nesquick Rabbit, 4052 Director, 4053 Cameraman, and 4299 Nesquick Rabbit Racer.

All were released in Germany, the first four in 2001, the fifth in 2002. Furthermore, 4049 was released in New Zealand and Australia in 2003, and #4051-4053 were available on the covers of some UK kids comics in December 2001 (LEGO Adventures! among them.)

Another Studios promotional, also from 2001, is 1411 Pirates Treasure Hunt, which was distributed with Quaker Oats breakfast cereals in the US.

There are the Colgate-sponsored toothbrushes and set released in 1990, and 2003-2004. I remember the Jack Stone toothbrushes from when I was 7. I have a blue and blue-red Jack Stone figures from them, and rioforce has two green figures.

• Like 4

JrMasterModelBuilder

Another Studios promotional, also from 2001, is 1411 Pirates Treasure Hunt, which was distributed with Quaker Oats breakfast cereals in the US.

I have this set, and a Life on Mars set that I think was a Quaker Oats promo approximately 1 year prior. Always wondered why they put the martian's legs on backwards.

• Like 1

I have these, not sure how common they are...

DSC_0161.jpg

What are they you ask?

DSC_0162.jpg

They are folding binoculars!

DSC_0163.jpg

I found them in a charity shop one day for 50p.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Keyring and mousepad hey?

The mousepad is pretty obscure, but the keychain is actually fairly common - at the time, LEGO Shop at Home had a large collection of minifig key chains that they sold. I had Johnny Thunder because he's the best. :nick:

EDIT: And while we're here, here's this to add to the topic's roster.

• Like 1

Keyring and mousepad hey?

The mousepad is pretty obscure, but the keychain is actually fairly common - at the time, LEGO Shop at Home had a large collection of minifig key chains that they sold. I had Johnny Thunder because he's the best. :nick:

EDIT: And while we're here, here's this to add to the topic's roster.

I've looked for that pad with no luck. However, there is a Chief keychain which was in another magazine, I have also never found it.

Is this BIONICLE pin obscure? It's squarish and rather large, from 2001, and has this image (the first one) on it. They were given out freely at a local LEGO event at Creative Kidstuff in Saint Paul when I was younger. I can take a picture if that would be helpful.

• Like 2

Shadowblaze

I own one of these hats, the one showed in the picture: http://www.brickgo.co.uk/lego/caps

I don't really know if that cap can be considered obscure or not, but after a small research I found that there aren't many pics of it on the internet. Just one, actually. I got that hat from a LEGO contest (organized by TLG, apparently) I took part of some years ago.

• 1 month later...

0000528.jpg

Years and years back, my father brought me home a pack of masks like these from a business trip. Turns out he passed LEGOLAND on the way. Bricklink lists them as being a promo from LEGOLAND Billund, and mine says Billund on the insert, though I'm pretty sure he got them from the one in California. Anyway, these are simply two Turaga masks in the not-often used Copper color. (Color #84)

Anyway, I still have mine in the little baggy like the one in the above picture, which includes the little insert which describes the two masks, and has a description of the special copper masks on the back, which reads:

"The copper masks Kanohi Huna and Kanohi Komau are only to be found in Mata Nui's dark underground caves and tunnels. The special material gives the masks and extra boost to their powers. It takes more time for the wearer to master them, but they will be all the more effective."

Not the most obscure bit of rare merchandise, as being a part of the Bionicle franchise gives them a bit more collector value, wit the collectable mask sets and all, but it's one of the rarest things I personally own, and practically the only thing I left sealed. Last time i checked, a sealed bag like the one I have sells for about $75 on bricklink, but I'm still keeping them. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Lego Jaiko's sword. From Knights Kingdom. I recently made a video about it, but I don't know if it is obscure or not, because I don't know how I got it. I only know I have it.

• 2 months later...

I have this BIONICLE badge.  They gave them out at a small local LEGO competition in St Paul.

I have a bunch of old foam gear (some of it's kind of dirty and everything has some wear, obviously):

Two Tahnok shields, one each of Lion and Wolf shields, Orient Expedition scimitar, Tahu sword, Onua Nuva Sword (I think, I'd have to check), golden sword (the kind that always is chrome as a piece), and one or two more, probably. I have some weird disk launcher thing that I believe was from 2004. I have no idea where it is, though.

I have this BIONICLE badge.  They gave them out at a small local LEGO competition in St Paul.

I have a bunch of old foam gear (some of it's kind of dirty and everything has some wear, obviously):

Two Tahnok shields, one each of Lion and Wolf shields, Orient Expedition scimitar, Tahu sword, Onua Nuva Sword (I think, I'd have to check), golden sword (the kind that always is chrome as a piece), and one or two more, probably. I have some weird disk launcher thing that I believe was from 2004. I have no idea where it is, though.

Would you mind elaborating on the competition? Little things like that always interest me.

Would you mind elaborating on the competition? Little things like that always interest me.

Sure. It wasn't official or anything - it was at a local Creative Kidsstuff. People brought in a LEGO model they made and were divided into age groups (I believe the youngest was 4 and under, and the oldest was either 13+ or 15+) and then people voted on one creation for each category. LEGO sets (some large ones, if I remember correctly) were distributed to the winners. The BIONICLE badges were given out to every entrant in two of the years, if I remember correctly. I may have more than one badge, but if I do it's floating around somewhere.

Jamesster may have entered in it at some point - I wouldn't have known him, nor he me, but I'm under the impression that he lived in the Twin Cities as a kid.

Jamesster may have entered in it at some point - I wouldn't have known him, nor he me, but I'm under the impression that he lived in the Twin Cities as a kid.

I did, but not at the same time as that contest (assuming it was 2001 or so).

It ran for some time. I went two or three times around 2001-2002, but I remember reading a blog post about it somewhere from ~2007. I'm not sure if they still do it, though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.