Canteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Fush

Since no one else had done it yet (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong) I decided I'd give it a shot- I tried to build the unused Canteen building.

WlSImaI.png

Yeah.... I'm not 100% confident in it, but it's something. And it was certainly a challenge, considering all I had to work from was this:

VxbiR89.png

so... yeah.

*cough*CirevamIfYouEverReadThis*cough**hack*ModelItInLightwaveOhPlease*cough*

It looks quite angular to me, especially on the inside, and the base needs a little bit of remodelling.

Other than that, a job well done! Except for those bare studs on the top :P

It looks quite angular to me, especially on the inside, and the base needs a little bit of remodelling.

Oh how silly of me, I keep forgetting that Rock Raiders buildings never have exposed studs on them!

In seriousness, though, I did not design this, so if you you don't like the design itself, then i can't really do anything about that. All I did was try to get as close to the icon as possible.

That said, i must reiterate that I AM NOT ENTIRELY CONFIDENT IN THE ACCURACY OF THIS. It's as close as I was able to get, but I'm still looking at it trying to see if I can do it better.

FUN FACT: I edited this post about a gazillion times trying to make it sound as polite as possible! I overthought it too much and it sounded rude! I swear I didn't mean it like that, honest! :0

TheSmartOne

That said, i must reiterate that I AM NOT ENTIRELY CONFIDENT IN THE ACCURACY OF THIS. It's as close as I was able to get, but I'm still looking at it trying to see if I can do it better.

Only thing I would change: take off that flat base the whole thing is sitting on. The icon has 2 separate parts.

Only thing I would change: take off that flat base the whole thing is sitting on. The icon has 2 separate parts.

Oh, the baseplate isn't a part of the model, I just always build LRR buildings on 16x16 OldLightGrey baseplates. It gives me a reference for positioning the model, since that's about the size of a power path.

For example, here is the Tool Store

Blatant abuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse of letteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers in the tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle

It gives me a reference for positioning the model, since that's about the size of a power path.

Tiles in LRR are 16 studs long so that's the correct reference to use.

It gives me a reference for positioning the model, since that's about the size of a power path.

Tiles in LRR are 16 studs long so that's the correct reference to use.

Yeah, pretty much what I was trying to say. ^_^

RIGHT THEN.

Y7BaDkV.png

GOTS MESELF A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT VARIATION GOIN ON. I feel like this one is more accurate in some areas and less in others. yay.

AAAAAH

BARE STUDS

THE HORROR

FIX IT NOW

:P

The addition of the safes make it look better. I think this is better than the original and it has less bare studs, yay :P

Though I don't see a sandwich-dispenser... :P That might have been what the safes were for... :P

GUYS GUYS GUYS

MY MIND IS LIKE, TOTALLY BLOWN RIGHT NOW.

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS.

lxWMohi.png

SADIE JUST POINTED THIS OUT TO ME.

WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A SHOT FROM THE FINAL CUTSCENE IN LRR.

AND WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE?

DO YOU SEE THAT? DO YOU FREAKING SEE THAT?

THAT IS THE FREAKING CANTEEN.

THEY FREAKING SHOW THE FREAKING CANTEEN IN THE FINAL CUTSCENE.

IT'S BEEN REPURPOSED AS A SORT OF E-CRYSTAL CHUTE BUT IT'S STILL, VERY CLEARLY THE SAME MODEL

I JUST... I'M SPEECHLESS.

In any case, i have now adjusted my model to more closely resemble the one seen in this cutscene... i like how it turned out.

mcmYwfg.png

• Like 7

Shadowblaze

How did you rebuild the back of the canteen if there's no reference image? Anyway, good job. Except for a thing. In the cutscene, there's no 2x6 yellow brick. I know that there is one in the icon there, but as it didn't actually make it into the game, maybe it was never updated after the scrapping of the canteen, I think as the cutscene was made in the final version of the game, it is a more accurate reference.

How did you rebuild the back of the canteen if there's no reference image?

Because there is, I just didn't post it.

wUSp3bo.png

It's over in the lower-right corner.

It doesn't reveal much, though, so I had to improvise most of it....

As for the yellow brick on the bottom... there are a few other differences as well, but I put higher priority on the icon since the one in the cutscene isn't technically the canteen, since it serves a completely different purpose....

Plot twist: The actual reason for the problems of the LMS Explorer wasn't some stupid asteroid field*. No: in reality Chief was too stingy** to repair the reactor/ whatever system with real replacement parts and instead used random parts (for example from the canteen) before they explored space. Therefore the shield broke down, when the asteroid hit the ship and finally they landed in another galaxy. That's also the reason, why there isn't a canteen as a regular building: they were used to "repair" the ship.

*although using a broken Game Boy or a printed brick as a navigation computer isn't a very smart idea in the first place

**even duct tape was too expensive for him

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.