The .IFL File

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

Thought I'd post what I gathered on this so far, so information will not be lost.

First things first. .IFL files are a sequence of images played to make a texture look animated.
Let me start by off showing what a .ifl file looks like in notepad. The one below is taken from the first few lines of Game DataSandy IslandTexturesWater AnimWater Anim.ifl

; water anim
water01.tga 3
water02.tga 3
water03.tga 3

Key points to note:

• ";" at the start of a line is like a comment in programming. (from what I gathered)
  • The root directory is the folder in which the .ifl is in. Sub-directories are supported.
  • The rate is by frames, not seconds.
  • In LR2 language, the extension .mip goes by the name .tga.
  • Decimals are ignored. Eg. 0.50 equivalates to 50 .

So, a line basically contains two things if not a comment line. The texture name, and speed, only one of each per line.

Basically, how it works is that you put the name (and sub-folders if used) of the texture, put a space (" "), and then enter the speed. 30 is equivalent to 1 second (1,000 miliseconds).

Aaaand that's all there is to it! ;)

• Like 2

From little testing, I gathered that the speed 24 is 1 second (1,000 miliseconds) long. I have yet to confirm 24 is the exact speed, though that is a common FPS speed.

I'm assuming it would be 30, as that's what games usually run at. 24 is mostly used for videos.
  • Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

From little testing, I gathered that the speed 24 is 1 second (1,000 miliseconds) long. I have yet to confirm 24 is the exact speed, though that is a common FPS speed.

I'm assuming it would be 30, as that's what games usually run at. 24 is mostly used for videos.

Holy wow. I have good timing with my watch timer (and the watch is not old). I tried it at 30, and I got exactly 00:01:00 on the watch. xP

Editing OP to say 30, thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.