A game I'm working on: A 3D, multiplayer roguelike (Released on Steam June 23rd, 2015)

Addictgamer

Shadowblaze

@MaelstromIslander; Why do those just look like recolored minecraft textures?

Because with just 256 pixels it's hard to not copy Minecraft. :P Actually Xiron is right, MaelstromIslander, you should try to do something different. Also, it doesn't look very different from the graphics from the actual game version, I'm sorry to say that. But I am sure you can do better! :thumbsup:

MaelstromIslander

@MaelstromIslander; Why do those just look like recolored minecraft textures?

Because with just 256 pixels it's hard to not copy Minecraft. :P Actually Xiron is right, MaelstromIslander, you should try to do something different. Also, it doesn't look very different from the graphics from the actual game version, I'm sorry to say that. But I am sure you can do better! :thumbsup:

Geez! Its just a sample! Its just showing my capability of what i can do, everything else will be different, i just did a little stuff to minecraft textures to show my skill, not to have the sample textures be entered inside Barony. :S

I'm not making real textures until addict accepts me into the barony project. But i have made one little texture i called DemonBrick if any of you want to see it. :P

There is a single slider in Photoshop that does what you did with those textures. Moving a slider is not skill. Creating something from scratch or altering something significantly is the beginning of skill. Creating your own content for a project that both fits the aesthetic of the project and pleases the developers is another step. Producing something that someone would actually use to demonstrate the extend of your skill is yet another step. You don't get to require membership on a project with money involved just to later demonstrate that you cannot produce what the project leaders are looking for.

So far, you have yet to begin walking.

• Like 6

I'm not making real textures until addict accepts me into the barony project.

I hope you mean "unless". "Until" seems incredibly self-entitled and arrogant. So far you've asked incessantly about seemingly unused textures in a game that is still in development, and you seem stuck in the notion that you're going to be part of the dev team. Meanwhile in reality, that ain't gonna happen. Spend some time (a lot) improving your craft, and maybe you'll stand a chance. If you want to show what you're capable of, try doing that, instead of taking the lazy route of retouching art from another game. I don't know how much you know about the game development process, but stealing assets straight from the work of others is just not done.

• Like 7

RobExplorien

I'm also going to use these textures for the Icy Cavern mod i'm making for Barony.

I just find it funny that you're already contemplating a mod for a game that's still in its Alpha stage.

MaelstromIslander

I'm also going to use these textures for the Icy Cavern mod i'm making for Barony.

I just find it funny that you're already contemplating a mod for a game that's still in its Alpha stage.

No matter what stage, i will make mods. >:-3

I'm not making real textures until addict accepts me into the barony project.

I hope you mean "unless". "Until" seems incredibly self-entitled and arrogant. So far you've asked incessantly about seemingly unused textures in a game that is still in development, and you seem stuck in the notion that you're going to be part of the dev team. Meanwhile in reality, that ain't gonna happen. Spend some time (a lot) improving your craft, and maybe you'll stand a chance. If you want to show what you're capable of, try doing that, instead of taking the lazy route of retouching art from another game. I don't know how much you know about the game development process, but stealing assets straight from the work of others is just not done.

This says a lot, you just made me open my eyes; i should have known copies were pathetic, unoriginal, and is pretty much stealing. So i made my own texture thats original, copy-free. Plus, barony resolution.

gallery_8961_436_59.png

I hope you guys like it! :)

By the way, whats a succubus? I've seen them before and they look like blue people with they're arms sticking out but i still have no idea what they are; Also, is baron herx even coded in the game yet? :P

(By the way, i cannot get past the first few levels, can you add an Easy mode?)

By the way, whats a succubus? I've seen them before and they look like blue people with they're arms sticking out but i still have no idea what they are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succubus

Also, is baron herx even coded in the game yet? :P

(By the way, i cannot get past the first few levels, can you add an Easy mode?)

THE GAME IS NOT DONE YET. Do not expect things to be balanced or in a working state.
  • Like 3

Shadowblaze

pic

It does look nice. The darker parts look a bit randomly coloured, but I think that's just me. The only question is: does this texture tile?

MaelstromIslander

pic

It does look nice. The darker parts look a bit randomly coloured, but I think that's just me. The only question is: does this texture tile?

Thats actually because random scribbles can sometimes make something turn out good, and anything you shove inside the Tiles folder (with a changed Tiles text document) can tile.

pic

Thats actually because random scribbles can sometimes make something turn out good, and anything you shove inside the Tiles folder (with a changed Tiles text document) can tile.

What he meant was "does this texture look good when tiled", which it doesn't. Also, openly admitting to doing "random scribbles"..... :/

MaelstromIslander

Also, openly admitting to doing "random scribbles"

Its not like i'm not trying, sometimes a type of colored line/scribble doesn't look good there, sometimes it has to be in the right spot depending on color. I mean that the color is random, as in that random bright colors in the lighter area, and darker random colors in the darker area. Its not just "random scribbles" its just a randomly colored line of Lights and Darks depending on the image.

What he meant was "does this texture look good when tiled", which it doesn't.

How do you know that if you didn't even put it in the game?

Alcom Isst

Islander, you feeling okay, man? You've been pushing this issue to a crazy degree and it's concerning.

• Like 2

MaelstromIslander

How do you know that if you didn't even put it in the game?

*cough*

Bonus round: *cough again*

It looks ok to me?

Fine, i'll change it.

Islander, you feeling okay, man? You've been pushing this issue to a crazy degree and it's concerning.

What?

Alcom Isst

What?

You. Your behavior. You're getting oddly fanatical about this attempt to join a game development project.

How good do you think you are as an artist?

Can you make us believe that you can match the skill of Barony's artists?

Why do you wish to join Barony?

Why has there been a communication mishap between you and the Rock Raiders United community in this topic?

• Like 2

MaelstromIslander

gallery_8961_436_59.png

How about sending a collection of previous work you've done? Kind of like a portfolio.

The first time i made textures was a minecraft texture pack i was working on then quit at. I'll send you pictures of it if you want.

Addictgamer

gallery_8961_436_59.png

How about sending a collection of previous work you've done? Kind of like a portfolio.

The first time i made textures was a minecraft texture pack i was working on then quit at. I'll send you pictures of it if you want.

You should send everything you can, yes.

Addictgamer

I reverse-engineered the model format for fun :)

1465fb2a835.png

Step two: Program a better editor than slab. That thing is awful (and doesn't have a linux binary).

No, don't do that, but it would be pretty cool.

Addictgamer

New alpha (2014.06.07)

* Hoods. Come in 4 colors.

* Spears.

* Monsters can use any weapon, tool, and magic staff you can.

* Better minimap.

* Some class revamps and new combat skills.

* Bugfixes and stuff.

Grab it here!

• 3 weeks later...
Addictgamer

New alpha (2014.06.27)

+ Most weapon skills

+ FMOD!!!1!

+ VBO support. This time it should work properly on AMD cards. For those who don't know, VBOs mean we should see massive performance improvements on lower-end machines.

+ Four special human characters.

+ You can now chat with NPCs.

* Finished bows and crossbows.

* Monster spawning curve.

* Item spawning curve.

* Torches and lamps deplete over time.

* Weapons and armor can break during combat.

* Effects (eg invisibility) now can wear off over time.

* NPCs gang up on people whoever attacks their group. Remember mine town? Ya, don't pick fights with them, they'll get very mad and kick you out.

* Right click on a friendly NPC to make them get out of your way.

* Fixed that one door frame bug everybody and their dog reported.

* Finished the labyrinth levels.

* Other bugfixes and such.

Grab it here!

• 4 weeks later...
Addictgamer

New alpha (2014.07.26):

+ Oh goody, here's a long awaited change: In-game escape menu (and pausing).

+ Readable books.

+ Some more traps, new sound effects, added a low level slime.

* Monster changes.

+ So much more stuff, try the game and see for yourself!

Obligatory image:

4cxZj4O.png?1

Get it here!

• Like 2

MaelstromIslander

New alpha (2014.07.26):

+ Oh goody, here's a long awaited change: In-game escape menu (and pausing).

+ Readable books.

+ Some more traps, new sound effects, added a low level slime.

* Monster changes.

+ So much more stuff, try the game and see for yourself!

Obligatory image:

-snip-

Get it here!

I've missed out on like... 3 updates already? Geez, i need to keep coming on here...

Also, i edited the Glacier texture to make it fit if you copy-n-pasted it. And, you my past work is not as good as this so theres no point in looking at it. But because you wanted me to show you the texture pack's texture that i made in the past, here you go:

http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/pencilcraft-2742188/

Yes, its not much and is very simple, and lots of people were tearing me down for my simple knowledge, but its my past texturing work.

My barony work is much better than the texture pack so i'm just going to say that i'm going to make textures, post them here, and tell everyone on RRU to give me feedback, INCLUDING you, Addictgamer.

Oh and heres the fixed glacier texture:

'> Hopefully its the fixed one, i might be wrong though.

• lol username featured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.