LEGO Rock Raiders Map Design

McJobless

So guys, I want to open up a discussion on the map design of LEGO Rock Raiders.

I'm a little tired at the moment, so I'm going to keep this intro short and hopefully have some other people keep the ball rolling.

What are the principles of LegoRR map design? What makes a LegoRR map fun? How can you build a challenging and new experience with the limitations of the LegoRR engine? What kinds of awesome objectives can you build into the game?

I want to work on a new, and much more feasible, overhaul, and these are the kinds of questions I'd need answered for me to start. Any help is appreciated.

I think the principles that make a LegoRR map fun do not depend too much on the map design itself. It is rather the atmosphere produced by the textures, the interface and all that. A map just has to be irregular so that it really looks like a cave, not like an artificial room. There should also be irregular terrain: when you make up the map in your mind, also form a special terrain (e.g. a mountain in the west, river canyons, lava valleys, ...).

If you know how, you can make really interesting level objectives. One thing I found out was - I guess no one has ever done that yet - that you can make walls crumble if something special happened. By that you could create an objective that is actually finished easily but suddenly a row of walls disappear and the level goes on! (If you want to know more about that, PM me :) )

These are the things I pay attention to when I created all my maps (for examples have a look at my maps in the forum).

• Like 3

RockRaiderWolf

Well I'm still somewhat new to it but, from what I have seen what has yet to be done in many maps is to add multiple objectives and ordered objectives(meaning you must do one  before you can do the next).

PS: I have been planning on creating a bunch of maps but I lost my dang flash drive which i was going to use to put map creator on my (VERY) old laptop so I could make maps anywhere....... Hope It didn't go through the wash in one of my pockets :/ (munches nervously on energy crystals )

Edit: It did go through the wash though it survived just fine. Unfortunately the Map Creator doesn't work on windows 98 anyway... :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.