A bit of a random thought train.

RockRaiderWolf

RockRaiderWolf

So I was wondering, I assume Lego still owns the rights to the Rock Raiders game correct? So the thoughts were just running through my head and I was wondering whether they planned to make a new version one day (Doubt it at this point) or whether they had considered a remake (polish and/or bonus content). If they weren't I was curious whether they would ever be willing to sell the rights as far as allowing us (the fans or RRU) to have access to the hard-coded data and thus be able to do even more to modify and improve things. It would be a dream come true to be able to someday see an actual new and gameplay/mechanics improved version of the game. (though I think the graphics would best be left mostly alone or risk losing the nostalgic feel.) It would be great to see these forums become so much more active with new fans and interest. rights to reproduce would be great as I think the games forum would be a lot more active if it were not out of production.

Anyone have any thoughts to add? any Ideas? 

So I was wondering, I assume Lego still owns the rights to the Rock Raiders game correct?

They own the rights to the LEGO product and the game assets and code.

So the thoughts were just running through my head and I was wondering whether they planned to make a new version one day (Doubt it at this point) or whether they had considered a remake (polish and/or bonus content).

The chances are extremely slim to absolute nil. LEGO seems to have no interest in its old games, aside from doing a reprint a few years ago.

If they weren't I was curious whether they would ever be willing to sell the rights as far as allowing us (the fans or RRU) to have access to the hard-coded data and thus be able to do even more to modify and improve things.

The only companies who do this are ones with nothing to lose; i.e., companies going bankrupt or small-time developers who don't mind sharing code.

LEGO is a big company, and as such would have a lot to lose if they released their old games as open-sauce.

It would be a dream come true to be able to someday see an actual new and gameplay/mechanics improved version of the game. (though I think the graphics would best be left mostly alone or risk losing the nostalgic feel.)

Firstly, you obviously haven't heard about the various forks of ORR, the fan-made projects to recreate Rock Raiders with open-source code, so that anybody can modify them however they want. You also haven't heard about Block Raiders, which is the original developers new project to make a sort-of "sequel" to Rock Raiders, with various "improvements".

It would be great to see these forums become so much more active with new fans and interest. rights to reproduce would be great as I think the games forum would be a lot more active if it were not out of production.

I don't think fan numbers would increase dramatically. Sure, the old members might be more active for a while, but I can't see anybody realistically buying a new version of Rock Raiders, when the amount of new titles on the market which can do so much more are available.

RockRaiderWolf

I saw the block raiders post right after i posted this. I was going to ask is there a site or blog for that where you can see updates and news on it's progress? as for the ORR no I hadn't heard of that the closest I had heard of was the overhaul mods so I will try to find those. any links would be helpful. Other than that yes I knew most of what I mentioned was highly unlikely it was just a bit of a daydream. :P 

Thanks for the info though! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.