LEGO Universe News! Minifig Wizard

le717

I originally was not going to make a topic about this (just a blog post), but jamesster asked me to for certain nefarious reasons, so I am. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqp61m1WTdI

The LEGO Universe News! Minifig Wizard! is a LEGO sigfig creator rioforce and I have been writing on and off since August 2013 and finally released on March 5th (yesterday). Written in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (which I call "pure web technologies"), it is designed is influenced from the LEGO Universe backpack. The minifigure model, textures, and images were all done by rioforce (he has a library of LEGO textures available for use by anyone he pulled from), although the accessories are slightly cleaned up LDraw mesh.

While more details can be found on LEGO Universe News!, (and even more on my blog), I will note that while the coding and rendering has been 6 months in the making, the original idea for us to make this originated between late February to early March 2012, creating the longest idea-to-release development I have yet undertaken. Normally ideas are discarded or acted upon before this time. Further more, as many here know I have only been programming period for a year, making the fact we even released this thing even more amazing to me.

The source and site itself is hosted on GitHub if you want to see how it all works. Warning: it is not the prettiest code around. :P A lot of this was written in my earliest days of JavaScript (the Minifig Wizard is actually why I started using jQuery for the $.animate() function), so there can be improvements made. We already have plans for the future updates (and personally, I plan on replacing the animations with CSS transitions) so some of it will improve. ;)

If you cannot make your personal sigfig from from lack of the proper head, torso, leg, hat, and/or items or find a bug, please either file an issue on GitHub, leave a comment on the WordPress post, or just post here. We’ll see what we can do (that's why we already have future plans :P).

Visit the LUN Minifig Wizard at bit.ly/MinifigWizard

lol username

bestminifigure.png

His name is Cutesy.

Hail Cutesy.

Hail Cutesy.

lol but srsly

I like character creators in general quite a lot. It's fun. Part selection feels a tad random or scattered at points, I'd like to see more "generic" pieces that aren't as tied to specific characters, so it's easier to put parts together in new more random ways that still look good. But it works well.

Quisoves Potoo

Bravo! This should be fun. Hmmmm.... I imagine the potential for avatars and other random silliness will not be ignored. Cutsey is likely a sign of things to come.

Also, le717, I would like to thank you and Rioforce for that library of minifig textures. How exactly did you scan them?

Cheers!

This is epic, le! Great work, I felt the nostalgia straight away. :)

Meet Bob Hardly. He's an ordinary working guy and what's to get 'in' with the kids, so he's trying out a new hair do.

gallery_5738_265_16605.png

• Like 2

Quisoves Potoo

Introducing...

gallery_8294_414_32199.png

Mephistos the Merman! All of land and sea, space and time, are in the scope of this time-traveler extraordinaire! Following in the footsteps of his great-great-great-great grandfather (and also great-great-great-great-great grandson) Timothy Timebuster, this trans-temporal adventurer is no sea-chicken! He's wrestled with megladons, plesiosauri, and e.e. cummings, he's hunted wooly mammoths from from an ice-hole, he's done more than you can possibly imagine (or know, what with shifting timelines and the like.) Laws of time have nothing on him, nor do historical mysteries. He's seen the fall of Atlantis multiple times, heck, he even caused it once! You thought that the mutiny befell the Marie Celeste? Well, you didn't factor in the fact that its captain thought himself above giving a lift to a passing merman. Indeed, you don't want to tussle with Mephistos, not with his slew of genetically engineered killer-lungfish and his kronon particle-firing flintlock, handily embedded in his tail!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've just deployed the first update to the Minifig Wizard. This release (to my disappointment), is a code-only release. No images were prepared for it. I was hoping there would  be, as your suggestions are ones that should be implemented (the list is short right now only because I foolishly did not log the requests as they came in), but I am in charge of the code, not the images. :(

Anywho, what is different in this release? A full, technical list can be found here, but I have prepared a less-technical version. :P

(NEW! denotes changes made after this post was initially made).

• The pink spaceman was annihilated by an evil Blacktron! D:
  • NEW! Removed Samurai Armor (it is not working well with the current state)
  • NEW! Fixed an overlay issue with left hand items and the mermaid tail
  • NEW! Fixed color of Dr. Cyber's beard
  • NEW! Added Sufer torso from Minifigure Series 2
  • NEW! Added dark blue pants
  • NEW! Fixed Top Hat and brown male hair being swapped
  • NEW! Added brown male hair (per request by Ayliffe and Xiron)
  • NEW! Resorted hair items
  • All jQuery animations were rewritten as CSS transitions for supported browsers, making layout resizing much smoother and more responsive. The jQuery animations are still present but are used only on older browsers as a fallback.
  • In addition, new jQuery animation fallbacks were added for effects that only had a CSS transition, such as the resize button and settings panel in the popout window.
  • Better browser support detection by way of a custom build of Modernizr.
  • Plenty of code was cleaned up and improved for more efficient execution
  • NEW! Added missing -webkit-transition properties (for better mobile browser usage)
  • Many fixes for Internet Explorer 9 were preformed:
    • The new window did not open at all due to IE9′s poor and finicky support for window.open()
    • Settings panel did not have a background color
    • Other small rendering and usability issues. By themselves they mean nothing, but all together they do a lot. I actually pushed four consecutive commits fixing IE9 issues, and is the primary reason I added new jQuery animations.
  • UI tweaks and fixes, including but not limited to:
    • Fixed the orange part selection disappearing when layout was resized
    • Better visibility of the current background color in the popup window
    • Background color options in popup window are better sorted
    • Thumbnail images on the normal layout size have been enlarged to their native size, matching the size on the enlarged layout and making them easier to tap on mobile devices

If you come across any bugs, please report them! I am already aware of the male black hair and top hat switching places and the mermaid tail overlaying the left hard (as seen in QP's picture above), so you do not have to report those. :P Already fixed!

Would you mind if I requested two textures (one for face and one for torso selection) and a white hat?

Tell me what they are, and I will look into getting them added. :)

Any chance of adding this hairpiece in brown?

Sure thing. That falls under the "more generic images" header. :P

Part selection feels a tad random or scattered at points

Is that from the limited parts selection or the way they are ordered?

Yes, I know I am bumping, (EDIT: wait, duplicate post are auto-merged now? :D) but I wanted to post this. It seems my deploying the code was enough to get rioforce on the ball and add some images for you guys! :D It is still a long way from the number of images we should have, but hopefully there will be more next go-round and these will help tide your over. :) I've updated the post with the changes, but I will repost them here.

• Removed Samurai Armor (it is not working well with the current Wizard state. It may be restored later.)
  • Fixed an overlay issue with left hand items and the mermaid tail
  • Fixed color of Dr. Cyber's beard
  • Added Sufer torso from Minifigure Series 2
  • Added dark blue pants
  • Fixed Top Hat and brown male hair being swapped
  • Added brown male hair (per request by Ayliffe and Xiron)
  • Resorted hair items
  • Like 2

Would you mind if I requested two textures (one for face and one for torso selection) and a white hat?

Tell me what they are, and I will look into getting them added. :)

Okay. The face texture is the one with Jowls, Brown eyebrows, and a slight smile (Heres the closest I can get:

). The torso is the 2007(ish) CiTY Police print; It has a simple blue tie, a badge to the right, a shirt pocket to the left, three buttons down the front and the torso and arms are both black. The hat is, again, from the 2007(ish) CiTY Police range in white.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.