TDF Files (and Occlusion Data)

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

Thought I would not let my testing go to any waste, so I'll just post this here (and as well so I don't forget this stuff). Also the file "OCCLUSION DATA" in the same folder as the TDF supposedly goes with it, because if it is not fitting, you will not be able to see the landscape from certain angles.

PQfTaYJ.png

Aside from what I got, I changed other things within the 8 bytes, and nothing of noticeable affect happened.

• Like 1

JrMasterModelBuilder

Interesting. "OCCLUSION DATA" might be the sections of the terrain height map that are not cut out, such as the tunnel entrances which are cover up with meshes. I could be completely wrong about that though. Just a guess as I don't see any ambient occlusion or anything else that might be named as such.

Fluffy Cupcake

You should try swapping Occulusion Data from another world and see what happens. ;)

Here is a quick switch between Adventure and Sandy. From atop the hill, I'm looking at where the forest would be, had I not removed all the trees.

QHPwXPR.png

Interesting. "OCCLUSION DATA" might be the sections of the terrain height map that are not cut out, such as the tunnel entrances which are cover up with meshes. I could be completely wrong about that though. Just a guess as I don't see any ambient occlusion or anything else that might be named as such.

Pretty sure it's for occlusion culling - the game can check to see if a given area blocks another area from view if the camera is at another given area. It usually works pretty well, but there's a couple areas (like looking at one of the beaches through the sewer tunnels, or the volcanic spiral) where it sometimes isn't quite accurate enough and things vanish awkwardly.

Also, if I may post one of Will's screenshots: http://kirk.by/s/1425f44652b

JrMasterModelBuilder

Pretty sure it's for occlusion culling - the game can check to see if a given area blocks another area from view if the camera is at another given area. It usually works pretty well, but there's a couple areas (like looking at one of the beaches through the sewer tunnels, or the volcanic spiral) where it sometimes isn't quite accurate enough and things vanish awkwardly.

Yeah, that's probably more likely.

You should try swapping Occulusion Data from another world and see what happens. ;)

Here is a quick switch between Adventure and Sandy. From atop the hill, I'm looking at where the forest would be, had I not removed all the trees.

QHPwXPR.png

That's wierd looking.

O.T. What operating system and window manager are you using?

Quisoves Potoo

Interesting. As of December 16, OrigamiGuy had managed to pull out heightmap data, normalmap data, and texture blending data for the .TDF file format. Perhaps you might contact him? That said, good job. This might be useful to someone. I might attempt to tamper with the .TDF files using this information.

Is that renderer courtesy of OrigamiGuy?

Fluffy Cupcake

O.T. What operating system and window manager are you using?

My OS is under the "System Specs" under the awards to the left of this post content.

As for window manager, I'm using the /windowed parameter that the game has.

Thanks for that link jamesster, I kinda forgot Will did that.

Fluffy Cupcake

I know it was said that Origami did a bit of stuff with this already (and I should know personally, and actually do recall a bit, refreshers like that are always great though, but I just thought I'd post on continued testing. Please keep in mind that I was using repeated values in groups of 16 (each land piece being 8 bytes long as stated in OP, so 16x8 = 128 (80 hex) bytes long, eg offsets 20 to A0)

If this sounds awful/confusing, sorry, I was having trouble with wording.

Sn5xdgV.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.